To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Ratchet Effect Diet

Just wondered if anyone had tried the ratchet version of Mark's diet, whether they had any success, and whether they used the same rules as he did.
July 8, 2007 at 12:04 | Unregistered CommenterWendy
I gave it a go. You can read about my initial experience http://www.darktea.co.uk/blog/weight/ratcheting-down-my-weight/

I used it for about a month before I went away for several days and I have to admit, forgot about it.

I used much smaller steps than Mark which were all aimed to introduce good habits, such as
* not eating chocolate,
* drinking before eating,
* smaller portions,
* going for a walk

It started off very positive, but after the initial few days my weight started increasing. Although the trend was downward I still found I was having to add more and more habits.
July 8, 2007 at 15:22 | Unregistered CommenterKate Davis
I use a version of this plan, but much looser. I tried creating a list of specific behaviors that I would initiate on my "heavy" days, and that would escalate in intensity based on my weigh-ins, but I could never properly remember them or track them.

So if I'm over my target weight, I just try to be mindful and make good decisions in the moment. However, I keep an assortment tactics in mind and choose whatever's most reasonable when I have to make a choice.

For example, I of course avoid the candy machines on a heavy day. If I'm still heavy, I'll opt for smaller portions (my most frequent tactic), salads, more water, fewer "white foods," a little more exercise. Perhaps I'll do an intermittent fast (stop eating about 7 pm and resume eating the next day at noon).

I may do one, two, or more of these in combination on a heavy day. Not scientific at all, but I'm interested in keeping the weight down, and these are proven strategies for me.

I also know that my weight can vary by maybe 5 pounds from day to day, based on lots of factors that may not be under my control. So I give my body a couple of days to respond to whatever I'm doing.

When I finally reach the target weight, I keep the strategies in place. When I go under the target weight, I will relax the strategies -- maybe stop the salads, maybe eat larger portions. But after investing that much time and energy in losing the weight, I'm not eager to put it all back on again!

All best,

Mike
July 18, 2007 at 14:22 | Unregistered CommenterMichael Brown