My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
The body is the servant of the mind. It obeys the operations of the mind, whether they be deliberately chosen or automatically expressed. James Allen
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Three Folders/Lists

I've been an advocate of using a physical paper-based Tickler file -

http://wiki.43folders.com/index.php/Tickler_file

- also know as the 43-Folders system. I actually use two - one at home and one at work. It keeps me organized and I don't forget much or need to search for things nearly as often as before I implemented this system.

Recently, I've tried to implement an e-version of this system, for general task management. Most to-do apps have options for tagging, labeling, and adding a deadline to each task. So it's not really necessary to segregate the items into 43 different categories or lists.

Still, it's nice to have a few buckets that make sense. So I am now keeping only three lists:

• Today
• Tomorrow
• Later

Within each list, I add whatever info is necessary to remind/alert me for tasks that need attention at a specific date/time. At the beginning of each day, the Tomorrow list moves to Today, and I consider which Later tasks to move to Tomorrow. It's easy to push tasks I can't finish today to the Tomorrow list. Having a sense of what's on tomorrow's plate is helpful - not sure I need any longer-duration buckets such as week, month, or year. So I guess this approach is in the spirit of DIT.

I have switched from Clear.app to Apple's Reminders.app (both on macOS & iOS). I loved the former, but it has become abandonware, and the latter syncs better with iCloud.

Comments?
July 18, 2017 at 19:14 | Registered Commenterubi
Doing the same thing using Trello. I love that I put calendar items on the tomorrow day, then they get bumped up when tomorrow becomes today. Lets me mentally prepare for them!

One problem, isn't really with the system but with my follow-through, is: when items aren't done on todays list I sometimes just let the today & tomorrow stay the same. This can lead to tomorrow never coming!
July 19, 2017 at 0:35 | Unregistered CommenterTommy
Alongside my new R?AF list, I'm keeping a SMTWTFS and ThisMonth and ThisYear folders.
July 20, 2017 at 20:55 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
When i tried that, I used absolute dates rather than relative. That way, I didn't have to rename the files each day.

I found assigning dates didn't work. I would end up with too many tasks in some folders, and I can't predict my energy and focus levels.

I prefer sorting by leverage. (Actually codes in my master list rather than separate lists, and a secondary code if there's a limited window.) I review my high leverage tasks frequently and remain flexible.
July 20, 2017 at 21:31 | Registered CommenterCricket
I tried 43 folders for things like tickets, that didn't have a separate project file. There weren't enough of them to bother, so now I keep them in my unpaid bills file. They're safe, and I see them often enough to remember where they are.
July 20, 2017 at 21:32 | Registered CommenterCricket