My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
Impatience in dealing with frustration is the primary reason that most people fail to achieve their goals. Unreasonable expectations time-wise, resulting in unnecessary frustration, due to a perceived feeling of failure. Achieving the extraordinary is not a linear process. The secret is to show up, do the work, and go home. Christopher Sommer
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > When to do the deferred tasks within RAF?

So, quick question, if have a few tasks deferred to today. They sit in my calendar as tasks scheduled for today. Now what? When do I do them?

Do I re-enter them to the list?
Do I have a daily recurring task "clear calendar"?
Do I just work on them first thing in the morning?

It is better to do them before dong the "DDD - round" or afterwards?

What technique do I use to make sure I work on those tasks today?
August 6, 2017 at 18:12 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Christopher:

<< Do I re-enter them to the list? >>

Yes, unless they are genuinely specific to that day.

<< Do I have a daily recurring task "clear calendar"? >>

No, unless they are genuinely specific to that day.

<< Do I just work on them first thing in the morning? >>

No, you just work on them like any other task on your list, unless they are genuinely specific to the day in which case you might want to do them as a batch.

<< It is better to do them before doing the "DDD - round" or afterwards? >>

If they are genuinely specific to the day and you elect to do them as a batch, then you would probably want to do them before you started work on the list at all. Otherwise just treat them like any other task on the list.

<< What technique do I use to make sure I work on those tasks today? >>

Just do them.
August 6, 2017 at 19:28 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
A hack I'm employing for things I want to do but no particular time or day: I have my notebook and whenever I defer such a task, I write it on a new blank page.

Eventually I will fill up a page normally and the next page magically has 1 new task to pick up. It nicely spaces out all these fuzzy tasks so I don't have many of them at once. Consequently, some of these have been deferred quite some time into the future. Out of consideration for a while.

This is not treated as a rule, just a handy way of placing this deferment.
August 7, 2017 at 2:09 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

I did something very similar. But instead of only writing one task per page I would write each day's deferred tasks one per page regardless of whether there were any deferred tasks on the pages from previous days. That way I got a bit of overlap, but the tasks didn't stretch too far into the future.
August 7, 2017 at 12:38 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
So far I'm amazed that I haven't had to defer very much at all. I defer to a tickler file instead of a calendar. The future-pages hack seems pretty good, but could lead to a heavy feeling if there are a lot of items stacking up. There's something about having to take a task out of the system, and then put it back in, that feels different and, in my case, makes me more likely to just delete it instead of deferring.

I wonder if, by training myself with the various 'no-list' techniques (SMEMA, 5T, etc.) over the last couple years, I now trust that a lot of important but not critical tasks will come to mind naturally, so it's not imperative to keep them on the list or defer to a later date. For example, I just deleted "file papers" and "back up personal email archives" - two home tasks that I cannot do now at work. In the past, I would've certainly deferred them. But I know I will think about these again soon - the stack of papers to file is right there on my desk, and the un-backed-up email folders are right there in the sidebar when I check or zero my Inbox.
August 8, 2017 at 16:59 | Registered Commenterubi
Mark, thank you for that clarification! Much appreciated.
August 9, 2017 at 14:16 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher