My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
For every action there is an equal and opposite Government programme. Anon
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > How I finally made it at last (Part 2) 2017/09/06

How I finally made it at last (Part 2) 2017/09/06

Here is the summary about part 1 and the basic system I've promised to you. It is Inspired from JW- Jane wesman method, Marc Forster, and David Allen.

It is a summary of my global method, how I do it and how I succeed. The system seems seems long and complicated but it is very simple in action.

It replaces "How I finally made it part 1" where you can find at the very beginning jane Westman method.

My goals and difficulties
As a entrepreneur I have many kind information to collect and clarify
For staying focus I need to get only but what is actionable
When The list becomes to long I am stuck and unable to act
I need to let explain my intuition and I am a paper man. Digital is nice but not for acting
I need simple things when things get complicated it becomes a disaster.
I like to plan, it gives me the impression to have a head in advance

Consequences
GTD is a perfect for me except for doing contexts and next action never worked efficiently with me
A dedicated paper note book is perfect for collecting actionable actions and doing
Digital is great for summary and collecting and organizing stuff as gtd references
Bullet journal is great for planning stuff and collecting core things for the long terme

My tools
A green paper notebook for written list
Omnifocus for projects and future logs (I could also use a digital file as a project list and a file per project…
A Rhodia as a bullet journal for planification

The simpliest the list the best the list is

Now let's go !

How I use them ?
Collecting stuff :
The simpliest the best the list is
You put all yours tasks and engagements, both personal and professional. You use GTD for collecting them is a special note book and write anything. No computer. It is crucial. If you are outside you reports your tasks of a carnet directly in the system. Your note book never leave your office
Don’t care the system will clean it by itself.

Today’s stuff
At the beginning of each day
Set a today's page
Start a Fresh List and dump your mind. Don’t care about what you write the system will clarify the stuff. Important dont look at any list do this first after you waking up.
Write the next action tasks with an actionnable word
Report all items one by one from Omnifocus or a master list. D'ont bother about what you write. Also Write for example may be I could…
Star what you must absolutely do.
Read once then, Star all items you intend to do very soon (for me the day)
Number the items from 1 to 3 beginning by the most urgent stuff
Just collect all actionable stuff on the paper note book.
Read again the list put on the left marge only but context or start date (if you intend to do it really. Put on the right marge only but the deadline of it
Review the all list
During the day follow the rules for acting :
Begin by the end of the list = like AF2 and go backward
Use the stand out system (AF1)
Try to treat all relevant items as a batch i.e. Calls, Emails, projects. (See clarify)
If an item is still available and actionable put it at the end of the list.
Erase all old items

At the end of the day clarify and erase the list
Each day at night you cross the list and date tomorrow list.
Erase non actionable items in the paper book
Report in omnifocus someday asks and future tasks and non actionable tasks

Clarify stuff & specific situation about acting.
When ever you want and during the weekly review clarify project and report on the paper book actionable tasks
Read again the list put on the left marge only but context or start date (if you intend to do it really. Put on the right marge only but the deadline of it
When things are done cross it

Example of acting as a batch :
Projects Review the all list, Dot each item relative to project X in [XXX]. The project is over. OK There is still something to do later ? Report at the end of the list. (MF) . The item or the project is not relevant ? Cross it .
Put each project in [XXX]
Go as far as you can go when you focus on project.
So now you have finished yours task about project x but you need to treat your emails Emails Treat all item as a batch, act, act, and act, Go as fast as possible and how far you can. The emails are treated.
So now you decide to treat your call: read the all list, Do all items which are @call is the left marging, act, act, and act You left a message ? Report the subject at the end of the list (MF) and if there is a dead line ONLY put it on the right marge
You are waiting something from someone ? Write the item, the name of the people put WF on the left margin. It is for next Tuesday > put next Tuesday 28 th in the right marge. act, act, and act ! If it is for later (agenda) put in in Omnifocus.
act, act, and act !
So now you have finished yours task about project x but you need to treat your emails Emails Treat all item as a batch, act, act, and act, Go as fast as possible and how far you can. The emails are treated.
For each item item You can add a date of treatment if it is good for you

Once a week
Clear the system and start a fresh list and report all what you really intend to do.
All what is before the new list is dismissed. Crossed all what is reported let the rest
Report in omnifocus someday asks and future tasks
You can include a goal weekly list it will remind you the core aims you have to do during the week.
Clarify projects in Omnifocus
Report actionable items i.e. (one week)
Plan what must be.
Set goals and dead line
Set how you plan to reach it. Set a dead line if you can. Control regularly. Set project’s date i.e. day dedicated to a specific project.
September 6, 2017 at 20:34 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter
Here's a link to Part 1:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2660988

Do I observe correctly that your updated approach is somewhat more complicated?
September 6, 2017 at 21:09 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
@Seraphim Yes and no. This part is for people who wants an hybrid system based on paper and digital. The System is complicated to explain but it is simple to do. My summary is a compilation of part one plus optimization while working.

On an other hand, Of course some has no trouble working exclusively with digital. May be I will write something later which is fully digital with Omnifocus.
September 7, 2017 at 10:49 | Unregistered CommenterJupiter