My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
For every action there is an equal and opposite Government programme. Anon
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Latest Comments
Log-in

Discussion Forum > What I like about RAF, p.2: Graceful at “gun point” operation

Every good TM-system has it’s place for at “gun point” operation, meaning, the system forces you to do a task right now, "at gun point" so to speak.

This could be the next task in the FV-chain for example, or any task in a DWM system that gets dismissed today, if you don’t act on it.

Or just the next task in a 3T/5T like system. You get the idea…

This “gun point” always worked extremely well for me. It was like all my “reasoning” power of why I wouldn’t do a task, crumbled to zero if confronted with the "higher wisdom" of a TM-system I trusted. I just did those tasks like a TM-soldier, almost relieved that I had no other choice.

Talk about a rationalization slapstick.

Anyway, with RAF the “gun point” is pretty well designed. Let’s take a look at how this works:

First, it never hits without short-term warning, because you have to make the conscious decision to start the DDD-routine right now in this very moment.

(In order to better understand how well-crafted routines are enableing your success, read the book “Secrets of Productive People” by Mark Forster.)

Then you first get to delete everything that was just a hare brained idea in some odd moment, everything that just leads to over-commitment, everything you have had enough of. You get a brief engagement with the reality of things. You get a chance to be fair to yourself (and by extension to those around you!)

So by now it should have sunk in, that the pesky stuff you were avoiding is on the march and it was only your doing! No one else to blame. So brace youself.

The next round, scheduling, is forcing you to think about the tasks in a subtle new way: you have to actually envision yourself doing them! Woo-hoo, how about that?

Now you still have the chance to put them off, but at a “cost”: you have to decide WHEN they will come back. So, while you may say NO on one level, you created a more definitive YES on another one.

Lastly, you have to do the remaining tasks in order, end of discussion. Do them! Now. All resistance is futile!

This works for me also for a somewhat childish reason: I am so prideful in regards to my lists, I just have to fullfil my vows, don’t I?

Now, one last thing about this: as you can see, this is a closed-list. Yes, Mark’s oldest most-prominent, list-manipulating trick does it’s magic again!

And the fact that it is a closed-list, means you can see the light at the end of the tunel from the very first moment on. This is one of the most rewarding and motivating aspects of the closed-list and RAF uses it at just the right place (and time).

So, you get into that rhyme: once a day, you have that "at gun-point" moment, no more, no less, and it is brief or at least you can see the end from the beginning.

Eating the frog inbuilt, at a good frequency: daily.
September 12, 2017 at 5:25 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
I am not so great with the forced-march, though it is more leisurely with RAF than with some other systems, and it does have a valuable role. With my irregular working habits, I find the "DDD everything 2 days old" is sometimes trivial and sometimes strenuous. But I like DDD in general, so my rules compromise is to alter "everything 2 days old" to a different box that feels eminently manageable.
September 16, 2017 at 18:46 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu