My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

To Think About . . .
To get something you never had, you have to do something you never did. Denzel Washington
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Search This Site
Log-in

Discussion Forum > Did Mark ever post the instructions for this system?

I've recently been feeling burdened by my catch-all list, so I decided to revisit the no-list systems for a week or two. I decided to re-read all of the posts tagged "no-list", and I came upon an article called "An Effective 'No List' System? Yes!". Originally, I was going to go back to NL-FVP, but I saw this article and I was wondering if Mark had ever posted the rules for it. I've been looking but I can't find anything.
Knowing myself, I may have missed the most obvious places, so if Mark has posted it, could you direct me with a link?
July 14, 2018 at 15:00 | Unregistered Commenterjames220
Sounds brilliant doesn't it? I wish I could remember what it was!
July 14, 2018 at 17:51 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Seems like it might be the May 9 system?? You mentioned that it had properties of 5T, responsiveness to urgent tasks, and repeated work on unfinished tasks. I may be giving this system a shot
July 14, 2018 at 19:59 | Unregistered Commenterjames220
james220:

Can you please give a link to the May 9 system? The name doesn't ring a bell with me.
July 14, 2018 at 20:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
The system you posted on May 9th, 2016. My captcha is broken so it will not let me post anything with links, but it is titled "My current no-list system"
July 15, 2018 at 2:00 | Unregistered Commenterjames220
Yes that one. Thank you, seraphim
July 15, 2018 at 3:01 | Unregistered Commenterjames220
Thanks for posting the link. I don't think that was the system I was referring to in "An Effective 'No List' System? Yes!". But since it was posted over three months later I presumably thought it was better!
July 15, 2018 at 9:11 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
But I subsequently developed a similar system which I consider to be slightly better. The main problem with "My Current No-List System" is the lack of entry points for new tasks. For instance if you have four repeating tasks, you have to do something with all four before you can enter another task on the list.

My improved system gives an entry point whenever you re-enter a task on the list. When you re-enter a task you leave one space. You then enter a new task in the space. The list is then actioned in the order the tasks appear on the page. You can only enter new tasks in this way, unless there are no tasks left on the list at all.

It's difficult to give a comprehensible example with the formatting options allowed in these comments. However here goes!

My list reads:

Read book
Walk
Learn Vocab

I action the first item on the list "Read Book" and re-enter it at the end leaving a space:

Walk
Learn Vocab

Read Book

I then enter another task in the space:

Walk
Learn Vocab
Process Photos
Read Book

Then I continue to do the tasks on the list in list order, i.e. the next task I work on is "Walk".
July 16, 2018 at 11:41 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
But I've yet to find a No List method that can rival the speed obtained by the best Long List methods.
July 16, 2018 at 15:22 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I am finding that too actually. My first day went really well, but my second day of no-list crashed and burned. I recently started a new catch-all list, and I have decided to scan through my old list to try to see what was causing me to feel burdened. I noticed that there were a lot of irrelevent tasks that were causing me to feel anxiety and it made me resistant to my list.

Remember! Keep your list weeded of irrelevent and out-of-date tasks!
July 16, 2018 at 15:31 | Unregistered Commenterjames220