To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > GED to DIT Rotating vs. Closed LIsts

Just rereading over GED and the section on rotating your tasks. I love the idea because it makes sure that no aspect of your work/life goes stale.

I also really enjoy the Will Do list from DIT, I see it as another great method to making sure all the bases are covered.

Is there anyone on the forum that switches between these 2 methods?

I personally prefer the stability of the Will Do list from DIT.
October 29, 2008 at 16:03 | Unregistered CommenterErik
I'd love to see a book that integrates GED, DIT and a more high-level ('strategic') view.

A general weakness of DIT, IMO, is that it is a tad too reactive in nature.
GED had some aspects of how to choose which projects to pursue ('resistance principle') and how to plot them. It would be nice to see some more elaborated thoughts on project planning and life management that play nicely with both DIT and GED.
I still didn't have the chance to read the "Dreams" book, but from what I read _about_ the book, it seems to be _very_ different.

October 30, 2008 at 23:45 | Unregistered CommenterAlex W.
Alex, I tend to agree with your evaluation of DIT to some degree. I am struggling to kick things off at a 'higher level' of planning and focus. See the post on 'DIT Comittments and Dreams'. Although I have the daily operation of DIT working smoothly I am having difficulty at the higher levels of planning - even down to the practicalities of where to write and how often to review. I am considering using aspects of the Dreams approach (namely a Vision) but at the same time I want to keep my overall system as simple as possible.
October 31, 2008 at 8:04 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
I don't think that I agree with Alex and Leon's comments about the difficulty of higher level planning with DIT. Certainly DIT doesn't insist that you carry out planning at some specified interval - it leaves it up to you.

As always the Task Diary is the answer. You can schedule one-off and regular planning or review sessions with the greatest of ease.

See my post "Project Management" at http://www.markforster.net/blog/2008/2/21/project-management.html
November 6, 2008 at 15:02 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your thoughts on this one. I have often referred to the link provided and have found it useful. I think the answer you have provided is possibly at the level of daily planning and dealing with projects. I am specifically interested in the level 'above this' (if such a place exists). If you were doing DIT 'proper' (I know you have been experimenting recently), how would you identify and approach your Commitments and overall goals (or Vision)?
November 6, 2008 at 19:33 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
Leon:

Scheduling time to look at your commitments and overall goals is within the remit of a time management system. But *how* you look at them is a different matter.

If you put "Repair washing machine" into you Task Diary you don't expect DIT to tell you how to repair a washing machine. No more if you put "Look at Commitments and Overall Goals" should you be expecting DIT to tell you how to do that.

So my answer to your question is: "Any way which works for you."
November 8, 2008 at 13:02 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks Mark, but DIT (the book) does lay out specific Principles ie 'Interests versus Commitments' etc. It seems that your comments again are about the Task Diary Level and possibly overlooking the Principles at the beginning of the Book.Or am I missing something? I suppose all along I've been trying to find out how you and others have been approaching the Principles in the in book practically. I like the idea of Simplicity so I would like to try and utilise the principles in DIT if possible as opposed to other top down approaches. Maybe I will simply just do the exercises in the book and see where that takes me!
November 9, 2008 at 19:33 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
Leon:

The point about the principles you mention is that all the work you do should come from properly focused commitments which match the time you have available. Chapter 5 goes into this in more detail.

The most important part of the DIT system to enable you to achieve this is the audit procedure. If you do this properly it forces you to keep your focus on what is really important to you. See Chapter 12 in the book. My recommendation is that you should do an audit if you fail to complete your work for three days running (an extra day or so may not be fatal, but it's best to run a tight ship).

The three questions in the audit are:

1) Have I got too much work?
2) Am I working efficiently?
3) Am I leaving enough time to do my work?

The audit is an extremely powerful tool, but of course there is no point in doing it if one doesn't then do something about the findings.

Most problems with DIT stem from skipping this audit procedure, or failing to follow up on it.
November 9, 2008 at 22:51 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark, good point - I have actually been dynamically Auditing my daily Checkilist recently to good effect. First I needed to make it a bit bigger as I wasn't meeting my Commitments. Then I needed to make it a bit smaller as I realised from my Audit that I did not have enough time. So the Audit certainly works as an effective Feedback Mechanism.

I suppose I have a personal struggle with setting future goals / vision / mission etc. I think this is more down to feeling ambivalent about *what I want out of life* than anything else. I have started reviewing your Articles on 'Vague Goals' and 'Guilty Goals' in a bid to remedy this. I will also Review Chapter 5 as you have suggested.

Thanks for your guidance.
November 10, 2008 at 8:22 | Unregistered CommenterLeon
Leon:

Yes, you'll find those two articles quite useful. Another method (which comes from "How to Make Your Dreams Come True") is to write out a description of your perfect day as it would be in three years time. Keep coming back to the description at regular intervals (daily to begin with) because you will probably find that the "dream" changes as you become clearer about what you want.
November 10, 2008 at 15:49 | Registered CommenterMark Forster