To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Welcome!

This is a discussion forum for any problems, suggestions or questions that you have about time management and personal organisation.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Mark
September 29, 2006 at 0:49 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I have tried different lists and time management exercises, and find that it is difficult to stick to one system.

I always find that one type of task is left not taken care of.
October 5, 2006 at 17:36 | Unregistered CommenterWendy
Hi, Wendy

Yours is a very common problem with any form of prioritizing. If you consistently prioritize according to one criteria (urgency, importance, length, etc) you will always get a residue of tasks which don't fit that criteria.

The only solution is to make sure that your commitments fit the time you have available, and then work to completion every day. One day's incoming work must equal one day's outgoing work on average. You may not be able to complete your work every day, but if you can't catch up within a couple of days you can be pretty sure that you have either taken on too much work or you have overscheduled yourself so that you haven't left enough time to complete it.
October 5, 2006 at 22:31 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I can see how the closed list system is useful. I used to find making a list and using the most resistance method from Get everything done...a surprisingly effective way of getting through tasks. I note in your last book that you thought the resistance method was imperfect in one or two ways. If you could, how would you improve it?

Wendy
October 24, 2006 at 20:10 | Unregistered CommenterWendy
Hi, Wendy

I still use the resistance method on occasions, especially when I am faced with a situation away from home when I don't have my usual supporting lists etc. I find that the resistance principle leads me through what is necessary in the shortest and most efficient way.

However I find if I use it all the time that I tend to find it gets gradually less and less useful. It's then I find that I need some structure to support it. Using it in conjunction with a list is one way to do that as you have found.

With the methods I give in Do It Tomorrow basically one remains on top of everything anyway, so using resistance as an indicator of what to do next (or any other method of prioritising for that matter) is rarely necessary.
October 24, 2006 at 20:21 | Registered CommenterMark Forster