To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Grouping things by like tasks

Mark, you said in DIT that once you have committed to a project then all the tasks in it need doing to achieve the project's aims - and it doesn't matter about prioritising them because they will all need doing at some point. This in itself is rather liberating. However I have found it somewhat daunting to be faced with a long list of big and little tasks. The way I tackled it was to use further ways of categorising them: ask is it essential to the project/or just a nice-to-have? If it's just a nice-to-have then review it later and see if it's really needed - often it's not (great to help me stop being so perfectionist!).
The other is to sort the tasks into groups of like activities so that you can do a whole chunk of them together as recommended by you - I have found this useful when writing out my project plan to "see" all the tasks in clumps of like. I have found that helpful recently when revamping my website - grouping all the new graphics that needed doing, all the code that needed to be tweaked, all the decisions needed about menu structure and so on. This seems to be a much more intuitive way of working for me to see what needs to be done in a project rather than writing out a linear approach such as do A, then B then C. I suppose it's a question of finding ways of working that suit each person best. I have found this works well for me.
October 30, 2006 at 10:31 | Unregistered CommenterNicky Perryman
Hi, Nicky. I think everyone who reads DIT is going to apply it in slightly different ways (or very different ways in some cases!). It's always a matter of finding what works for you and sticking with it. In fact I suggested something similar in Get Everything Done - I called it a "scatter map". By grouping similar activities together in a visual way, one could prepare oneself for tackling the tasks.
November 7, 2006 at 23:36 | Registered CommenterMark Forster