To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > getting into the groove day 2

Hi Mark,

I'm on day 2. I want to say that yesterday, because of the closed list, I had one of the most uplifting and productive days I've had in awhile.

Unfortunately, I won't be completing my list today. One reason is I bit off too much. I had scheduled a 1hr-2hr-3hr slot for some computer entry that I'm behind on. 1hr is the foundational goal, 2hrs the successful goal, and 3 hrs the eagle goal (system from Top Performance)

Then I rationalized that since I will be sitting in a seminar for the next two days (16 hours over the weekend) and returning to work Monday, that it would be okay not to complete the list. I still feel guilty even though I did 20 minutes of work with the timer running.

So I ran across your plus/minus technique and article. I've listed smaller steps to get started on Monday.

Question 1: I would still like to achieve a minimum of an hour/day on this project. Is it best to list one or two starting minimal steps that don't cause resistance or list all the steps I think would take an hour?

Question 2: I have alot of items below the line for my closed list as I add them through the day. I'm filling the page up! So when should I NOT write something I've done that didn't appear on the list?

Question 3: Part of my day SHOULD consist of getting ONE or more new clients everyday. This introduces randomness into my schedule and to completely "process" the client face2face time and analysis takes about 2 hours.

Is this best handled by listing the New Client daily on the task list and just not crossing that item if I don't have a new client that day? Obviously I wouldn't get a full "point" for that day. Or I could make getting a new client a bonus point for the day IF I complete everything on the list.

Because of the nature of my business, other people's lack of planning becomes "I need to get in today!"

Question 4: I have a huge backlog. I"m following your program. I have ALOT of inadequate systems despite running my own business.

What recommendations can you make for the various systems that are required for a small business? Do you have any authors who would've created templates that work best and easiest to transition into for any of the systems? What other resources might you think of to share? It would be a real timesaver.

Thanks for your book and your time. I hope I asked questions that will benefit other readers too.

Sincerely,

Will
November 10, 2006 at 22:02 | Unregistered CommenterWill
Dear Will

The plus/minus method can be used on its own or as a way to help you get through the tasks on your daily Task List from the Do It Tomorrow sysem.

In answer to your specific questions:

Q1) It's usually very difficult to estimate accurately how long a task or series of tasks is going to take. So my recommendation would be to aim for the starting step(s) and take it from there.

Q2) I think there's a bit of confusion here between adding new tasks that arise during the day, and adding further steps to the initial steps you for tasks which are already on your Task List. Basically you shouldn't add ANY new tasks below the line unless you have to. The correct place for them is on the following day's list. However for tasks which are already on today's Task List, you continue with them until you have either finished them or feel you have progressed as far as you want to that day.

Q3) You need to distinguish between results goals (getting one or more clients) and process goals (making the calls that get the clients). It is the process goals that go on the Task List, e.g. "Make 10 calls to prospects" rather than "Get 1 new client". If you succeed in getting a client then the actions necessary to process that client go below the line (if they need to be done the same day).

Q4. It's impossible to answer this question because the answer depends so much on the nature of the individual business. There are many facilities available on the internet for such things as signing on new clients, booking systems, billing etc.- and these are constantly changing. The important thing is that your systems should support you and not get in your way. So if you find you are always complaining about your filing system or your accounts system, that's a good sign that you need to be looking at it.
November 14, 2006 at 13:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster