To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > When the "free" time gets booked

I have just read through the DIT book and one thing is a bit unclear to me. Say that tomorrow I have only two hours booked for meetings and the rest of the day is "free". Free of course saying I have time to do other work. So tonight I plan my closed list with some calls to make, some papers to write and some emails to reply to. First thing tomrrow I start with one of the meetings and it turns out that the customer is pissed as the products we have installed doesn't work. This our biggest client so it is really importent to have this customer on our side so my prio for today is suddenly to make everything work as I am the consultant. So now I am stuck at the customer all day and even do some overtime to make sure everything is fine. So what do I now do wíth my list for today?
January 18, 2007 at 11:40 | Unregistered CommenterJuman
Dear Juman

The answer is that you carry your list forward to the following day. What this in practice means is that instead of doing a batch of one day's email you do a batch of two days, instead of one day's paper you do two days'. Any tasks undone in your Task Diary are carried forward to the next day too.

This doesn't matter because you are aiming to complete one day's incoming work per day *on average*. However very importantly this means that you must catch up after a few days. If you find yourself constantly behind, you need to go through the diagnostic procedure: have I got too much work? am I working efficiently? am I leaving enough time?
January 18, 2007 at 12:27 | Registered CommenterMark Forster