To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Streaking

Not the naked kind!...Sometimes I use this method with tasks I don't like, or think I don't like, to persuade me to do them on a daily basis, such as washing dishes, running, hoovering, etc. Like some of Mark's time management exercises, it is a way of building up momentum against the resistance. After you have completed a certain task daily, say emptying your email inbox for 10 days in a row, you will find you will do anything not to miss the 11th day.
February 16, 2007 at 4:56 | Unregistered CommenterWendy
Hi, Wendy

Can you be a bit more specific about how "streaking" works? I'm not sure I understand how you do it.

No photo needed! :-)

Mark
February 17, 2007 at 10:58 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
It is similar to when someone has a running streak, they try to go for a run every day, you record how many days in a row you have gone for a run, the more consistent you have been, the more you want to keep the streak going. I apply this to other tasks I have to do to stop procrastination. For example, if I want to do some academic reading every day, I will note down how many days in a row I complete the task, if I have completed it five days in a row, I am more likely to complete it on the 6th day, simply because I want to keep the streak going. If I stop the streak then I can start it again and try to beat the last streak. Hope that makes more sense!
February 17, 2007 at 16:59 | Unregistered CommenterWendy
Right, I understand. You are constantly trying to surpass your last record for the number of unbroken days. Thanks for clarifying.
Mark
February 17, 2007 at 19:07 | Registered CommenterMark Forster