To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Done list

As regulars here will know, Mark F doesn't like open-ended to do lists, but favours closed lists prepared the day before.

I've evolved a technque whereby I don't just cross items off the closed list as I do them. Rather than have a single list, I have two; one initially full of the things I will do, the other initially empty. As I go through the day I cross off the items from the first list AND write them on the second list.

Of course, some things do have to be done today rather the deferred to tomorrow. Those won't be present on the first list, but can be written in the second list.

I can't explain why, but having a growing list of things I've actually achieved makes me feel better about the day than having the same tasks crossed out of a to do list.

March 5, 2007 at 12:26 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C
Me too.

I just keep two text files: Today.txt and Tomorrow.txt. The first of them has sections:

- unnamed section (closed to do list)
- added today
- done
- added today and done
- not done

During the day, I cut and paste items from the closed list to "done", and I find that more satisfying than checking things off.
March 7, 2007 at 23:34 | Unregistered CommenterSkirmantas
these seem to be perfect for DIT (no relation):
http://www.behance.com/Outfitter/Products/Action-Book/4
April 20, 2007 at 9:56 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher K
Hi Christopher.Thanks for posting the behance link. Nice website.
April 23, 2007 at 10:24 | Unregistered CommenterNicky Perryman
Hi, all
Call me crazy, but I'm the opposite. When I complete a task or a time box segment of a project, I love to see the blank space where the task was previously on my daily list! The blank space seems to represent freedom earned as I see my closed list disappear as I complete the items except of course ongoing projects will be carried forward. I have the opposite reaction with projects. I love watching the progress tally go up each day until I'm completed with it. I love writing on my monthly index...project X DONE on X date: ARCHIVED!!!
April 25, 2007 at 2:20 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
I am not sure I can be bothered with so much writing out and re-writing out, but it's whatever works for you. It's interesting to see other people's methods.
April 25, 2007 at 14:07 | Unregistered CommenterNicky Perryman
Hi, Nicky

LOL! I concur with your sentiments. That's precisely why I use computer mailing labels. NO writing over more than justifies the extra cost of doing my list using them. I restrategize my list every 4 hours to coincide with my abilities and I can easily transfer the unfinished items to the next list and peel off the completed ones. They either get tossed or transferred to my projects log. It's not quite as good as a computer program, but it's a great analog workaround method. I LOVE seeing the blank spots where a label (task) previously sat! The blank spots signify freedom to me. When I want to see accomplishments (I only track accomplishments with projects or various personal goals, not tasks), I can see the labels in formation on my projects log. I love those labels and the blanks they create on my closed list when my productiviy and determination made them disappear! On the projects logs, they look like a ladder of success! Silly, perhaps, but it works positively on my attitude on both counts. ;)
April 25, 2007 at 17:24 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
Hi Learning As I Go. I love your enthusiam even though your method sounds baffling to me, although I appreciate the sentiments entirely. I am sticking with the old fashioned paper and pencil. When I have completed something I like crossing it out very emphatically!
May 1, 2007 at 9:39 | Unregistered CommenterNicky Perryman
When I have completed a task, I like to highlight it.Crossing it out often obliterates the task - if you use a highlighter, you end up with a pretty page (!) and a daily record of tasks that you can check up on at a later date if necessary.
Or am I the only person who needs to check whether they did a task that is part of a bigger project over a long period of time?
May 3, 2007 at 22:15 | Unregistered CommenterDebbie
I also use a highlighter to cross what has been completed. Each morning I transfer the tasks I want to complete that day on to a day page so I can also easily check back when I worked on something, however I don't need to do this often.
May 6, 2007 at 17:23 | Unregistered CommenterKate Davis
Hi Debbie

I don't keep my daily lists. I keep separate agenda logs/notes for each contact or subject and I do the same with projects. It's easier to archive and retrieve as it's own file rather than piecing them together from several daily lists. On the closed list I simply write the name of the project or contact and work off a separate log kept in the folder which houses the supporting materials. I keep the active ones in binders on my desk as advised by Mark, and archive the completed ones in my filing cabinet or my home or bank safe.
May 7, 2007 at 3:10 | Unregistered Commenterlearning as I go
There's an interesting section of the Wikipedia article on motivation which touches on this:

Organization

Besides the very direct approaches to motivation, beginning in early life, there are solutions which are more abstract but perhaps nevertheless more practical for self-motivation. Virtually every motivation guidebook includes at least one chapter about the proper organization of one's tasks and goals. It is usually suggested that it is critical to maintain a list of tasks, with a distinction between those which are completed and those which are not, thereby moving some of the required motivation for their completion from the tasks themselves into a "meta-task", namely the processing of the tasks in the task list, which can become a routine. The viewing of the list of completed tasks may also be considered motivating, as it can create a satisfying sense of accomplishment.

Most electronic to-do lists have this basic functionality, although the distinction between completed and non-completed tasks is not always clear (completed tasks are sometimes simply deleted, instead of kept in a separate list).
May 16, 2007 at 14:51 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C