To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Dreams - Taking it forward

"Your aim in writing the book was to describe how to access the unconscious workings of the mind to achieve goals and life visions. What you have found is that once you have accessed the unconscious mind fully, it is its own reward and its own destination. You have found that the goals and life visions are themselves creatures of the conscious mind."

I just completed reading the 'DREAMS' book by Mark Forster. And all this while, I have been practicing it for myself...

What a wonderful journey it has been...

I am unable to articulate how this would turn around. But I seem to have a very compelling need to share this knowledge to the people around me!
February 26, 2020 at 16:32 | Unregistered CommenterSathya
Funny you should mention this! I spent a couple days off and on rereading old "Dreams" posts on this forum -- from, I think, 2011 when Mark was contemplating revising it.

I'm rereading it now on my Kindle for the first time in years. And highlighting like mad. I'd forgotten all about Push and Pull modes, for example, and how 'standing out' (though not in those words) makes its first appearance here with the stoplight image.

I'm starting today a 40-day program with my coach to get me unstuck on some things, and I see myself using the future/current reality and what's better exercises as ways to help me process what happens. Love that this book came my way again and just in time!
February 27, 2020 at 14:26 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Hard to believe the book is nearly 20 years old. It's one of the few 'self help' books I reread and enjoy rereading.
February 27, 2020 at 15:57 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Sathya, nice quote from the Dreams book!

Yes, it is a book that you can get for free in electronic format. The wisdom of the ages for free!

Meanwhile, what happens on the planet? Jeff becomes a billionaire selling books online…

I still remember the first day I experienced "pull mode." It's a real thing!

The future vision / current reality is in my absolutely not humble estimation the best way to get "goal setting" going. I do it regularly, as well as the "what's better" option.

Sathya, you said you want to share "Dreams." What strategy do you have devised to do so?
February 28, 2020 at 3:02 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Nearing the end of this re-read.

For some reason, the first third of the book still dazzles me with the Goal Achievement Method, the future/current reality, the What's Better list, and so on, and it's what sticks in my memory.

My memory had blanked on the middle section where we actually follow Mark through his days and weeks of trusting the unconscious.

I'd also not remembered near the end the dialogs between Mark and his Future Future-self, about the personal ego dissolving so that "Mark" becomes a conduit for creation. The language there reminds me a lot of Steve Chandler's recent book "Creator", a book I found quite affecting.

Amazing to rediscover an almost two-decade book and find it predicts pretty much where my thinking is at these days. If anything, the book is almost too short and speeds through its topics so quickly -- and Mark's final transformation is so huge -- that I did not realize how much heft all the ideas have. There are individual ideas here that could become books on their own.

Anyway -- impressed yet again by this book and very glad to be re-reading it at this time.
March 9, 2020 at 14:55 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I’m re-reading the book again!
On page 48 😊
September 27, 2023 at 18:58 | Unregistered CommenterSathya
I read it maybe 6 years ago. I articulated my Future Self, and did the daily conversation for several weeks. I dictated it using the terms "Q:" and "A:", and then just talking. That whole process was awesome. Even if I never read anything I wrote, just the act of talking it out was terrific. It's the best version of journaling I've ever found (by a huge margin). I actually looked forward to it every day. It was this sense of wondering what great insight my Future Self would help me discover today! Odd, but it was so effective.

I did it as part of the Miracle Morning S.A.V.E.R.S. process. It was my (V)isualization, and my (S)cribing (writing). Just ten minutes or so.

I then got busy with other things, and stopped. What happened next still amazes me.

I didn't re-read what I wrote. I didn't do anything more with it. It just sat in a folder. 5 year later I found it and re-read my description of my Future Self. I almost fell out of my chair. I kid you not, every single sentence had happened and was now part of my Present Self.

I never had any awareness that I was driving towards that. And yet, clearly my subconscious had been hard at work, steering my actions over the next 5 years. It's really remarkable.
October 3, 2023 at 15:48 | Unregistered CommenterScott Moehring
Scott:

<<And yet, clearly my subconscious had been hard at work,>>

Similar to you (but without Dreams or any other formula) my life has turned out very close to what I desired it to be. And this is true in spite of a bunch of psychological and financial barriers.

I think there's a couple of things at play. In my case, I was able to observe my parents embrace challenges and not cave under pressure. They didn't achieve everything they wanted, but they sure gave it the ol' college try. I think this provided me with a roadmap - or permission of some sort - to not give up even when the thing I wanted seemed so out of reach.

I think this becomes much more difficult when you grow up in an environment and didn't see this happen in vivo. I see this in my practice all the time. It would be interesting to have a robust experiment where people of a similar background were split into two groups:

1. Engaged with Dreams (or something similar)
2. No specific technique or system of visualization

How would each member of each group describe their lives 10 years later?
October 3, 2023 at 16:14 | Registered Commenteravrum
Interesting that it's impossible to do a neutral experiment. The experiment would presumably ask before "what do you expect" and after "did your expectations come true". But that first question is already an intervention that gets people on a thoughtful course.
October 3, 2023 at 18:54 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
@avrum These studies are somewhat related to what you propose. They asked students to write for a short time to create a vision for their future, sort of if they could have what they thought would be good for them. I think they were also asked to create a vision of what they thought would happen if they let their bad habits take over. There was no further action.

Grades improved, and dropouts were reduced, and both significantly.

https://www.selfauthoring.com/research
October 4, 2023 at 3:28 | Unregistered CommenterScott Moehring