To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Evernote disaster

I know Mark and many others use Evernote. What do you think of the latest update?

For me, it's been a minor disaster!
-- no longer works with my ScanSnap
-- almost every operation requires more mouse clicks / keyboard shortcuts
-- much harder to scan through my notebooks (too much whitespace)
-- much harder to format notes the way I expect (I just want it simple!)

It's been so difficult to work with, I am trying to see if I can switch back to OneNote, which has improved quite a lot in recent years.

Has anyone else been having difficulty? Any tips or suggestions?
November 13, 2020 at 2:23 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

I'm still on the old version. I volunteered to take part in the trial for the new version and went back to the old version after a few days. Basically my assessment was the same as yours. One of the things I particularly hated about it was that the Notebook and Tag selector buttons are now at opposite corners of the screen, rather than being next to each other.

My overall summing up was that it was more concerned with looking good than with being easy to use.

At some stage I will no doubt be forced to switch to the new version, at which time I shall have to see if I can live with it. I've got a lot invested in Evernote (over 10,000 notes) and would hate to have to abandon it.

On the other hand it wouldn't be the first time I've hated a new version of Evernote but in the end grown to like it.

We'll see.
November 13, 2020 at 10:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I just found the assessment of the trial new Evernote for Windows version which I sent them back in July. Bear in mind that some of the features I commented on may have been changed in the final version.

* Feedback on new Version of Evernote

Negatives

Can't put short cuts at top of screen (major nuisance)

Presentation mode is missing (which is a disaster)

Screen is cleaner - which I DON'T like because it makes it more difficult to see what is what

Mysterious yellow stars appear against certain notes. Still haven't worked out what they mean. Later: Apparently they are notes that are short-cuts. Doesn't do any harm, but I don't see much point in it.

Automatic filling-in of title removed. Why? Seems a pointless change to a useful feature. If there is no automatic filling, then one needs to be able to copy the title along with the note, which at present is not possible.

Heading levels and font family good, though it would be nice to still be able to access the full range of Windows fonts as an option.

It's now awkward to change the Folder and Tags on a note, as they are diagonally opposite each other. Minor nuisance - but why make it worse rather than better just for the sake of appearance?

No sign of the ability to display a list with the ticked items hidden (which was a very valuable feature of the original Evernote - yes, I have been using it that long!)

Positives

I like having a Checklist and a Checkbox, though I'm not sure how I'll use them yet. But the option is good.

Superscript and subscript good, though personally I don't have much use for them.

Summary

Full of minor annoyances (and some major ones) which mainly seem to have been changed for the sake of making the layout prettier. Some of them don't even achieve that.
November 13, 2020 at 11:06 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Stacey Harmon is an Evernote consultant and sells some EN-based products. She is maintaining a v10 resource page here: http://www.harmonenterprises.com/evernote-v10

Her advice is that if you're a power user, don't upgrade yet. I have lots of notes, links, saved searches, etc so I will not upgrade my desktop EN (both on my Windows laptop and Mac desktop) till I've heard the releases have settled down.

I think there's a reddit Evernote group that is chewing over the new releases also and are disappointed.

I will wait and see.
November 13, 2020 at 17:12 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the old version -- ahhhh, immediate relief. Thanks for suggesting it might be possible!

One serious limitation of the new version is the inability to export to HTML. You can only export to Evernote format. So while I am here in the old version, I'll be exporting everything - more than 13,000 notes. I am not sure I like the direction they are going.
November 14, 2020 at 22:06 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

The one thing which Evernote could include easily but never has is to incorporate a proper outliner. There's a rudimentary one already, but it could be so much better. I'd much prefer to have that than any of the other "improvements".
November 15, 2020 at 13:16 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
@Seraphim

<<I uninstalled the new version and reinstalled the old version -- ahhhh, immediate relief.>>

Seraphim, cuold you please indicate me the version numer of the last "old version" and where I can find the executable to download? .... I'm not able to find it .... thankyou
November 17, 2020 at 5:23 | Unregistered Commenternick61
@nick61

Here is the link. I switched back to Legacy about an hour after I updated to EN 10.

http://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote
November 17, 2020 at 13:49 | Unregistered Commentertomcal
Thank you tomcal, using the information you provided me I just switched back ... what a relif ...
November 17, 2020 at 15:25 | Unregistered Commenternick61
Inspired by this conversation, I downloaded Evernote 10 again to see what differences there were now from the version which was used in the trial I took part in. I haven't been able to find any.

I think my summing up of Evernote 10 is that there is not one single aspect of it which is as good as the previous version. Apart from anything else it even seems to take longer to carry out its basic function, which is to display notes. This does not bode well for the future of Evernote.

Nevertheless I am going to keep Evernote 10 for the time being to see whether I can live with it. I am not a power user - I just want to be able to bung everything into it and get it back again quickly. I also use it for keeping my best photos, and displaying them. The removal of Presentation Mode has severely impacted that.
November 19, 2020 at 9:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark how is your experiment with Evernote 10 going?

<< I just want to be able to bung everything into it and get it back again quickly >>

That is precisely the thing that has gone wrong with it, for me. Creating new notes is more difficult - more steps involved - must enter title separately - etc. And scanning directly into Evernote is now more difficult - it creates a new notebook for every scan!

Retrieval is also a bit harder. Search is still pretty good but it's harder to see the results, since they have put in so much more white space.
November 24, 2020 at 17:20 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

<< Mark how is your experiment with Evernote 10 going? >>

Surprisingly well in fact. I'm not saying that I think it's better than old Evernote, just that it's not significantly worse for me, so far at least. I guess it depends what you want to do with it. As I said above, I just want to bung everything into it and get it back again quickly. Nothing fancy.

I don't have the problem you seem to be having with scanning into Evernote. What are you using to scan? I'm using the scanning on my Android phone and it works fine. Of course Evernote hasn't produced a new Android version yet. It's on the way, and maybe when it does appear it will make it more difficult. But for the present, fine.
November 25, 2020 at 17:46 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Has anyone tried an alternative to Evernote and OneNote? I've never liked OneNote and Evernote appears to be in the process of destroying itself, So I'm wondering about alternatives.

I've seen a lot of positive comment about Nimbus Notes. Anyone used it who'd like to give a few pointers?
November 28, 2020 at 23:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, I've been testing Nimbus for a couple of weeks. To make it a fair test, I'm in the process of importing all of my 22,000+ Evernote notes into it. That is taking a few days but I am almost done. With that many notes, Evernote exported them into 8 files so I can only import one file at at time and it is taking about 1/2 day each into Nimbus. Nimbus may be slowing down already. Time will tell.

I've been reading a lot about Evernote's demise. However, Evernote legacy does all that I need it to do. There is a concern that Evernote 10 will be the only supported version sometime down the road. I can't imagine that they would do that until the feature set is complete but no way to be sure.

There are some nice bells and whistles in Nimbus - one that I particularly like is collapsible outlining, something Evernote should have added years ago.

I've developed my workflow into Evernote for years and they would really have to drop the ball for me to start again with Nimbus or anything else. But, to be safe, I am going to keep testing Nimbus and see if it is worth the trouble to change my workflow. I use Evernote mostly as a dumping ground for everything (screen shots, web grabs, Textever, Scanner Pro, File This, IFTTT - all feed into it) and less as a daily working tool (TickTick and TheBrain for that) so I may not need any more bells and whistles for my use case.

Early days but I'll let you know how it goes.
November 30, 2020 at 15:29 | Unregistered Commentertomcal
tomcal:

Thanks for your report on Nimbus. I am particularly glad that it contains collapsible outlining, which is something that I have been hoping for years that Evernote would introduce. It is the one single thing in my opinion which would make the greatest improvement to their product.

I think I shall be going back to legacy Evernote soon. Evernote 10 does everything that I need doing, but it is all just that little bit more difficult than in legacy Evernote.

I'd also be interested in your experiences with The Brain. I've tried it a few times over the years but never really got on with it. Maybe it's now significantly better?
November 30, 2020 at 17:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Anyone wanting software with functionality similar to the rather expensive TheBrain might want to look into Obsidian, which is free for personal use. A comparison:

https://www.slant.co/versus/2152/37045/~the-brain_vs_obsidian-md

As for Evernote, I stopped using it when I found Notion.so, which is a very powerful, multi-purpose note taking application and much more. Also free for personal use, albeit with a bit of a learning curve. Lots of dedicated videos on YouTube though eg:

https://youtu.be/yNq9rbVKBSQ
November 30, 2020 at 21:40 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Forgot to mention. Obsidian comes with some pedigree. It was produced by the developers of Dynalist.
November 30, 2020 at 22:09 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Mark - After importing 14,000 of my Evernote notes into Nimbus, it is painfully slow. Unusable. Maybe it is doing some behind the scenes indexing or something. I'll see if it improves. As far as TheBrain, it has really been improved a lot over the last few years. The new version, 12, which is in beta but available to all and working great, now included backlinks and mentions in the notes, which is one of Obsidian's and Roam's selling points. The entire note experience is great in TheBrain but the "Plex" is the unique piece of it. To see how all of my "thoughts" are interconnected is something that just resonates with me and I can't get anywhere else. I'm going to stay with Evernote Legacy and hope the new version improves. I just use it for long term storage, as I mentioned, so it is perfect for my needs. The one piece of software I will never stop subscribing to is TheBrain. It is the central nervous system for my life and business.
December 1, 2020 at 13:21 | Unregistered Commentertomcal
Tomcal:

I'll put off trying Nimbus until we hear more about your experiences with it.

As I said above, I've tried The Brain a couple of times over the years but never really got on with it. The last time was quite a few years ago though. Maybe it's time to have another try.
December 1, 2020 at 14:38 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Ian S:

Thanks for your recommendations.

I've put both Obsidian and Notion on my list to have a look at.
December 1, 2020 at 14:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark, If you're going to give Notion a try, I just found this in the Evernote forum which may help:

http://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/130122-evernote-to-notion-here-is-how/
December 1, 2020 at 15:40 | Unregistered Commentertomcal
tomcal:

Thanks. Having read it I think I agree with some of the subsequent commenters that Notion is more complicated than I need.
December 1, 2020 at 18:35 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Having gone back to Evernote 10 to give it a longer trial, I stuck with it for most of December. But today I reverted to Legacy Evernote and, as with Seraphim, the sense of relief was immediate. Basically everything took twice as long to do in the new version, and it was far less intuitive. There was not one single thing which I liked better.

As Seraphim said in the title of this thread, Evernote disaster!
December 26, 2020 at 22:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I wonder if anything can be done about it. I've seen plenty of comments online about the change -- all of it negative -- but it doesn't seem like the company plans to change their direction.
December 26, 2020 at 23:07 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

Yes, I think it's true to say that I haven't seen a single positive comment about it.
December 28, 2020 at 15:24 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Does anyone think they’ve redeemed themselves with the introduction of the new home page feature?
January 23, 2021 at 17:04 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
IanS:

Since I haven't been back on v. 10 I haven't seen it yet. I must have a look. Fortunately they allow us to have both versions at once.
January 23, 2021 at 18:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
IanS:

On a quick look through it, my answer would be that it makes it worse.

1) It doesn't achieve anything that a properly organised layout in Legacy Version doesn't do.

2) If you make use of it, it then takes even longer to get at all your notes.

3) Instead of putting short cuts back at the top of the screen, you now have to go the the Home page to access them.

4) What on earth is the point of the "scratch pad"? All one had to do before was press the big green plus button to bring up a new note. If you want to refer to a note often in Legacy, you can link to it by the short cuts, which are at the top of the screen where they belong.

5) What's the point of having "Recent Notes" shown in their own little box? I can tell which my recent notes are because they're at the top of the Note List in Legacy.

To sum up: Continuing the process of changing simplicity and ease into complexity and annoyance.
January 23, 2021 at 19:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
That rather chimes with the lack of enthusiasm I was left with after watching Carl Pullein's Youtube video on it.

Looks like sticking with a combination of Notion, Dynalist and Anylist for me. When will they all get together and produce the perfect notes app?
January 24, 2021 at 12:49 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Ian S:

I've just had a look at the Pullein video, and basically everything he describes that the new Home Page can do I can already do better on my existing Legacy Evernote setup. The new Home Page is only needed because they have made everything so difficult in v. 10 compared to how it was before.

I also get the impression that v.10 now takes even longer to start up than it did before. It was already painfully slow compared to Legacy Evernote.

I also asked Evernote some time ago when I was going to get a refund of my Premium Subscription since they've removed the Presentation Mode, which was a Premium feature, and one of the main ones I use. I've had no reply needless to say.
January 24, 2021 at 15:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
They did refund my premium subscription very quickly after they renewed it somewhat unilaterally a few days ago, after I pointed out they had not done me the courtesy of emailing me to warn me it was due for renewal.

I hope they refund yours soon.
January 24, 2021 at 15:56 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
IanS:

To be clear, I don't want to cancel my Premium Subscription. I was just hoping they would refund the cost in whole or in part as they'd removed one of the major facilities.
January 24, 2021 at 16:49 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
It may not be for everyone but I have started using Upnote recently. It has just the right number of features for me and is remarkably reasonably priced. You can add notes to more than one notebook, which is a first for me, and I am loving the collapsible section feature for summarising reading material. You can nest notebooks as well.( I always disliked having to make do with the limited hierarchy on Evernote).

Well worth a look as an alternative to Evernote for the price alone (GBP £21.49 for a lifetime's subscription).

http://medium.com/illumination/why-i-think-upnote-is-the-best-evernote-alternative-abc3c8c9cdad
February 7, 2023 at 11:05 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
It'll be interesting to see what Bending Spoons makes of Evernote.
February 18, 2023 at 13:21 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Obsidian Canvas recently caught my eye. Obsidian always was touted as an alternative to Evernote but it didn’t have the same multi-media possibilities. Canvas adds a whole layer of graphical layout to notes.
February 19, 2023 at 21:30 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Just tried again with the new Evernote to see if it has been improved and found that it is even worse than I remember. Of the multitude of problems which I and loads of other people complained about not a single one has been fixed. It is slow, cumbersome, unnecessarily complicated and completely non-intuitive.

I lasted for two days and then went back to Legacy Evernote which fortunately still works fine - though for how much longer I have no idea.

I've been using Roam Research alongside Legacy Evernote for a year or so now and find that there is very little overlap between them. Evernote is best at storing lots of miscellaneous stuff and getting it back quickly. Roam is best for thinking with. While it lasts they make an excellent combination.

The reason I gave the new Evernote another try was because they had been trumpeting that they now had backlinks. Unfortunately they are not the sort of backlinks that Roam and similar programs have - the Evernote backlinks link notes together instead of words and phrases, and are basically useless, doing nothing that you can't achieve with tags.
June 11, 2023 at 9:12 | Registered CommenterMark Forster