To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Tweet: The best decision I've made recently is to add delays to everything

I saw this and thought of Do It Tomorrow

http://twitter.com/fortelabs/status/1430005347608002563

Tiago Forte @fortelabs
The best decision I’ve made recently is to add delays to everything:
-no email gets answered for 48 hrs
-no meeting gets scheduled before 1 week out
-no project gets launched w/ < a month notice

I paradoxically end up moving faster because frivolous stuff gets eliminated
·
I realized nearly all the frivolous, low value, urgency driven, reactionary work happens when someone needs something “at the last minute”

By deliberately creating a slower cadence to my work, I reduce anxiety, allow more time for deep work, and dont have to be online constantly

By basically choosing not to be open to messages, meetings, and opportunities that require fast responses, the pace of my days slows down, there are fewer emergencies, and everyone around me learns to give me more notice on things

I act more in accordance with my goals & values
August 24, 2021 at 11:31 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C
David C:

It's not a bad principle as long as the people you are working with aren't using it as well.

If they are, then you send an email to a colleague and they don't reply for 48 hours and there's something in their reply you want further information about, you wait for another 48 hours to send your query and, if they then have to check with someone else, they will wait for 48 hours to contact the other person who will then wait 48 hours to reply to them. They then wait 48 hours before replying to you. I've lost count of how many days that is. 10?
August 24, 2021 at 13:44 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Ha ha. This made me think of Correspondence Chess - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_chess .

I think my dad attempted to play this (by mail) way back in the day.

An interesting point from the article: "[. . .] a game played by post between players in different countries might last several years." Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;-]
August 24, 2021 at 16:18 | Registered Commenterubi
Great idea - why do so many things seem urgent and why do we feel pressure to react to them when in reality they are not?
Mark: new system - "Do it next week" - over to you....
August 25, 2021 at 9:07 | Unregistered CommenterMrDone
ubi:

<< I think my dad attempted to play this (by mail) way back in the day. >>

I think mine did too. In fact I believe he was quite good at it. Chess (correspondence or not) has always been completely beyond me.
August 25, 2021 at 12:15 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
August 25, 2021 at 12:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
The general principle that I adhere to that is similar to this is "creating margin in the moment of execution". Rather than reacting to a situation, I first see if I can create margin (mental, time, financial or otherwise) at the point of execution.

This concept has helped my FortNite game, my Tennis win ratio, my satisfaction in negotiation situations, etc. It has been revolutionary to me since I first uncovered the concept (whilst playing FortNite, incidentally)
September 6, 2021 at 16:46 | Registered CommenterCafe655