To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Zettelkasten

This is a method for recording notes from book reading. It's taken from the German for "box of notes". I've discovered it recently and am exploring how it makes an impact on my note taking for my academic work. Essentially it forces a note-maker to consider not just the note but how and when you will use it in further thinking, and in different ways – ideal for essay or book writing. Advocates of the system claim significant increases in productivity , such as in this article: http://betterhumans.pub/the-complete-guide-for-building-a-zettelkasten-with-roamresearch-8b9b76598df0
August 31, 2021 at 15:15 | Unregistered Commentermichael
Michael - inspired by a similar idea (that I heard on Macsparky's podcast), I purchased a subscription to Readwise.io and Instapaper. Every morning, I receive an email with 6 quotes, derived from my Kindle and Instapaper highlights. I'm able to choose which highlights to keep, and tag. The tagging is crucial.

When I'm working on my weekly podcast, I simply head on over to Readwise.io, click on a tag that is relevant to the info I'll be discussing, and I'm providing with a bunch of juicy quotes that I use for my show notes.

I've been working this way for a few months... has completely changed how I read, take and use notes.
August 31, 2021 at 18:13 | Registered Commenteravrum
I got really excited about Zettelkasten for a little bit, as I was exploring lots of information organization systems. However, over time I've found that I've gone the other way. I'm already a borderline hyper-organized person, both mentally and physically. Using even *more* organization on top of that just ends up as a distraction, and I lose sight of make real internal insights. I've taken a more intuitive approach now, where I emphasize extreme focus and engagement with materials, which tends to put them into my head very strongly, and leaves good trails that allows me to identify the information without as structured an external system. I find that I am able to make better insights that way, and I use free association journaling to clarify those things when I need to.

Other people, like Brandon Sanderson, have made great success from a hyperlinked information management system (he uses a wiki), which is essentially what a Zettelkasten is. I think for people who are self-aware enough to actually make use of such systems and leverage them, they can be really useful, but I think a lot of people who talk about the productivity gains are potentially speaking from confirmation bias, sunk cost fallacies, and a lack of a control group. That is, they feel better, and they feel like they are doing something, and they can point to an externalized artifact that they produced, so it makes them feel like they've accomplished something, especially if they "find" something in their system. But just because all of that is true doesn't mean that they are actually more productive because of that. It is very possible that they are less productive, but just feel better about it, whereas if they spent more time pondering ideas and less time structuring the information, they might actually produce more, as their energy could potentially have been more efficiently applied.

That isn't to say that the system isn't a good one, but only that when engaging with such complex systems, it's very easy to confuse feeling productive with actually being productive. Thus, if it were me, and I wanted to pursue it, I would first establish objective measurements that would allow me to determine whether such an investment was worth it, at least if I were doing something like this for the sake of productivity. On the other hand, if it's just a matter of feeling good because you have a system that you like to fiddle with and that is aesthetically or emotionally satisfactory to you, then I'd say, go for it. I think there are lots of emotionally attractive things about a Zettelkasten that might be worth it even if it doesn't make you more productive. It's a very neat idea and system.

For myself, I like bound notebooks too much to go this route.
September 1, 2021 at 3:48 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:

I must admit that on my few attempts to use a Zettelkasten I have failed utterly both to make it work and to see the point of it. That may be more of a failing in me than in the Zettelkasten, or perhaps the Zettelkasten appeals to a certain type of person and not to another.

Overall my feeling is: Why bother to use an external and extremely time-consuming method of organizing your information and ideas when you have the most efficient and powerful organising device in the known universe sitting inside your head?

I've written all my books and blog-posts, come up with all my ideas and recalled massive amounts of relevant information simply by listing all the points I can think of and coming back to them at regular intervals (e.g. once a day) and finding the points have sparked off further points. It's then just a matter of grouping the points in logical order and fleshing them out.

I've given one or two examples of how this works on this blog, e.g. http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2008/8/4/expand-your-ideas-the-easy-way.html
September 1, 2021 at 10:41 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
That process is interesting and I could see it working well for your kind of books. Many other things as well. I am just starting to get into serious information management myself. I believe those who keep adding random things to a repository are creating useful iinfo, but also creating useless info at the same time, and net it’s probably a waste of time. My approach is to write things as they come up, and add links as they come up.

I have always worked without such notes available, but the inefficiency I’m finding is that when I need some technical information, even though I had it before, I need to spend a significant time digging it up again. Going from memory is not an option in a technical context; I must have the precise method, and it can’t be later, it must be while I have the context strongly in mind, which is now. If I waited until later, I would need again to reform the context in active memory before proceeding – another waste.

My hope is a good organization of notes will eliminate such inefficiency.

I don’t know zettelkasten as specified is the best option, but it’s a hint for a useful direction.
September 1, 2021 at 14:26 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

<< I am just starting to get into serious information management myself. >>

As far as I am aware, Zettelkasten is not intended to be an information manager. At least that's the impression I got from reading a few of the books on the subject. It's more of an ideas manager and generator. And as such it probably worked very well before the advent of computers.

Nowadays there are plenty of ways available of organizing information these days. I use Evernote, but I've never made any attempt to organize it into any sort of formal structure. Nevertheless I reckon I can find anything in my 11,434 notes within a matter of seconds.

I've never found any need to structure notes any more than Evernote allows, i.e. notebooks, tags and the search function.
September 1, 2021 at 15:05 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark I wonder if you would feel a bit differently if you were writing your book in the 1950s following the process you describe. Specifically, you won't have access to easily adding to sections because your medium is a pen or typewriter.
September 1, 2021 at 15:06 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Back in the 90s, I used InfoSelect as my everything-container for info, and then that morphed into a single Word file, and then other little programs, until I eventually returned to Evernote.

One of the things I noted whenever I switched systems was that I rarely went back to all that old info I'd collected. In grad school, I heard this statistic: that in a university research library, less than 2% of the books are ever checked out; in the US anyway, they have all those books in order to qualify as a research institution.

I think that 2% translates pretty well to personal info stored in file cabinets, file folders, files on my hard drive, etc. A carefully curated pile of information that I never access has as much value as not having the info at all.

I think a key point missed in the z'n discussion so far is that it is supposed to be an aid to productivity. Niklas Luhmann, the sociologist who invented this system to manage his own notes, used them to generate ideas for papers, books, etc. He tended his intellectual garden because he was harvesting it to make into products to further his career. If you aren't using all those notes for creating products -- blog posts, articles, books -- then what are you hoarding all that info for? (And remember, this was Luhmann's personal system, based on the way he put ideas together; there's no evidence he tried teaching this system to others, he just shared it the way novelists share how they write novels.)

Z'n and note-taking generally is a trend that pops whenever some new technical solution comes on the scene, as recently happened with Roam, Notion, Obsidian, etc. Both note and time management seem to be evergreen topics on the web and in the productivity-industrial-complex because they're 'problems' for which there is no single solution. So we get multiple solutions, reframings, new takes, etc. that excite the 2% of the internet that really go nuts over this stuff (I happily count myself among that number!).

I think the way many of us like to try on new time management systems, others like to try on note management systems; and some folks, like David Sparks at Macsparky, really run with them and get benefit from them. For the other 98%, though, it's an entertaining diversion from the work we're supposed to be doing.

Still, yeah, based on my own experience, I have held the z'n discussions and apps at arm's length. I look at the my Evernote collection of 10k notes and wonder, of those, how many I really go back to regularly. What it really does is trace the trail of my little interests and obsessions over the years, most of which should be left behind.

And now, a quote from my evernote collection:

Lord Peter Wimsey remarked that "Books...are like lobster shells, we surround ourselves with 'em, then we grow out of 'em and leave 'em behind, as evidence of our earlier stages of development." (_The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club_)
September 1, 2021 at 15:07 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Alan Baljeu:

<< I wonder if you would feel a bit differently if you were writing your book in the 1950s following the process you describe >>

Yes, I'm sure I would. I remember the 1950s very well. I was six at the start of them and seventeen at the end of them. If I wanted to find a book in the local library, I had to look it up in the card index. Everything was card indexes in those days.

As a matter of interest, I did write the first draft of my first book in pen and paper, because I was on holiday in France at the time and didn't have access to a computer (or a Zettelkasten). It's actually quite easy to add new sections because you just physically insert them between the pages.
September 1, 2021 at 15:19 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mike Brown:

<< And now, a quote from my evernote collection:

<< Lord Peter Wimsey remarked that "Books...are like lobster shells, we surround ourselves with 'em, then we grow out of 'em and leave 'em behind, as evidence of our earlier stages of development." >>

Nice one! It's now a quote in MY Evernote collection (544 notes, many with multiple quotes)
September 1, 2021 at 15:33 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

I have no doubt that what you are talking about for your own books and process is perfectly accurate, but if I can be totally blunt, without any offense, your books and writings are rather unsophisticated, and often intentionally so. You're organically growing and morphing your ideas over time. You play with them, experiment, and change them. A critical element to your process, IMO, is non-commitment.

This allows you to refine ideas over time, and gives you freedom to explore those ideas intuitively. If you logically contradict yourself at some point along the timeline, that's fine. If you say something that makes sense in one context, but might be contradicted in another context, that's fine. In other words, there's a lack of inherent internal consistency or formal coherence in your efforts, and you don't make any attempt to suggest that you're aiming for that.

In such a world, the human brain is very good at helping to find the sorts of connections that you're after. However, a Z'n is meant to provide a more stable and scalable ideation and record generation system than what the human brain is capable of. In particular, it enables a more coherent and long lived development of ideas that must be critically preserved and coherent across long periods of time.

I think Brandon Sanderson is one of the best examples of this with his Wiki (which I take to be a type of Z'n). Tolkien made "a world". It's considered somewhat complex. Robert Jordan made another world, also considered somewhat complex. Brandon Sanderson has created a Universe, and from the very beginning his intention was to create an interwoven pattern of connection, overlap, subtle references, and foreshadowing that not only had all of that structure, but also satisfied the creative requirements of a high-fantasy universe.

The two patterns are *entirely* different. Brandon likes to talk about the metaphor of gardeners and architects. Your modern is much more gardener, and is very popular for a lot of authors. Kim Harisson, for instance, is another fantasy writer, who has a cabinet of "ideas" that sit around and germinate. But she's happy to allow things to evolve over time. Brandon Sanderson, on the other hand, has constraints on his writing because he's writing many books in many different story lines across decades worth of writing which all must remain internally consistent with one another throughout time, despite new ideas needing to be created and generated within that framework.

For someone like him creating his types of stories, it's critical to be able to not only generate new ideas, but generate new ideas within a consistent and coherent framework over time that you wouldn't possibly be able to verify as consistent using only your own mental revision and examination. He has to be able to say something in one book and 10 years down the road make sure that he never contradicts that idea, while still talking about something new and exciting and evolving the world. That sort of complexity in his world designs and story arcs means that something like an external Z'n style system is very important.

I think the original Z'n creator was also dealing with this, because the sociological world at the time was grappling with lots of complex ideas, and there was a need to try to organize it all and try to account for lots of things that were little details that could easily be forgotten. That's the sort of thing that I think a Z'n could be very good for. However, it also requires a certain sort of personality to want to do that kind of work. It's not just dependent on the tool.

Starting a Z'n isn't going to magically turn you into Brandon Sanderson or the like. However, I strongly suspect that the sort of people who need a Z'n type of system develop something like it at some point because they, well, need it. For them, the Z'n model might be a more optimized version of what they are already doing, or it might enable people who aren't quite sure where to start to get something going, but it's only a tool that requires the person running it to have a clear vision for its use to make it worthwhile.

Or at least, that's my opinion on it.
September 2, 2021 at 2:17 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
All:

I don't much like the abbreviation Z'n or even worse z'n for Zettenkasten. I think the correct German abbreviation for it would be ZeKa. Any native speakers of German reading this are welcome to correct me!
September 2, 2021 at 12:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Aaron Hsu:

<< your books and writings are rather unsophisticated, and often intentionally so. >>

If by that you mean that I am writing for a popular audience and not an academic one, then I completely agree. However the main difference between an academic work and a popular one in terms of information retrieval is the use of references. References are easy to keep in Evernote etc and don't need the complex linking of the ZeKa.

<< You're organically growing and morphing your ideas over time. You play with them, experiment, and change them. A critical element to your process, IMO, is non-commitment. >>

That and your following paragraph are a pretty good description of how a ZeKa is supposed to work. It is not primarily intended to be a reference file, but a way of sparking ideas off each other.

<< He has to be able to say something in one book and 10 years down the road make sure that he never contradicts that idea, while still talking about something new and exciting and evolving the world. >>

You don't need a ZeKa for that. There are much easier ways of doing it. One of which is to keep re-reading your own books!
September 2, 2021 at 13:26 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
In my limited knowledge of such things, I would say that Roam Research http://roamresearch.com is nearest to the principles behind Zettenkasten.
September 2, 2021 at 20:22 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark

Sanderson's current publications surrounding the "Cosmere" world that he writes in account for well over 3 million words at this point, often with tiny and subtle references to underlying themes that aren't explicitly mentioned in the books. You've been seriously holding out on us if you have the ability to keep all of that straight when writing just by re-reading all the time! Many of his larger books are on the order of 30 - 60 hours of narrative on Audible. I'm certainly not able to process that level of complexity and minutia simply by rereading all the time, though I am sure that he does that as well.

To all:

I think there's something that people are also missing around ZeKa. Its fame comes largely from being a technique for hyperlinked topic-based publication in analog form. Arguably two of the most popular trends in publishing and information management today are simply digital forms of this: Wiki's and Topic-based documentation/publishing.

Wikipedia is, in many ways, simply a large ZeKa that is community-driven, and in fact, it serves many people, including those in academic research in the same way that the ZeKa originally did.

Additionally, many people who need to publish on an idea over time (especially corporate or technical groups) have gravitated to topics-based publishing, which is a type of ZeKa in many ways.

So, really, I think what seems novel about the ZeKa is the analog element of it. Digital tools have long since incorporated the core ideas of a ZeKa, and we arguably have a grand giant ZeKa publicly created (and many people argue this explicitly without saying ZeKa) in the WWW.

However, being a big fan of analog, I think there's still something to spending the time to build analog materials for review or as a part of your thinking process.
September 4, 2021 at 21:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:

<< I'm certainly not able to process that level of complexity and minutia simply by rereading all the time, >>

Even if you had thought it all out and written it yourself in the first place? Doing that leaves patterns in the brain which are much more easily resurrected than when reading something written by another person.

And what about the people who are going to nit-pick about some obscure detail? Are they feeding the whole opus into a ZeKa so they can spot whenever a character is described as right-handed when they were described as left-handed two million words ago?
September 6, 2021 at 12:19 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
There has been a lively discussion around the concept of the Zettelkasten over on the WorkFlowy User Slack Group over the last year or two. I spent 3 months developing the concept in my WorkFlowy, and finally settled for a uniform way of capturing interesting and potentially useful thoughts in a way that is easy to retrieve and cross pollinate ideas. While it isn't a fully developed "zettelkasten system" I have been pleased with the results over time as I can quite easily compound concepts together in useful ways.
September 6, 2021 at 16:55 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Cafe655

<< I spent 3 months developing the concept in my WorkFlowy, and finally settled for a uniform way of capturing interesting and potentially useful thoughts in a way that is easy to retrieve and cross pollinate ideas. >>

The last I heard WorkFlowy was planning to introduce bi-directional links but hadn't yet done so. In the meantime apps like Roam Research and Obsidian have this feature - which I would regard as essential for a properly functioning Zettelkasten set-up.

I'd be interested to know how you work around this.
September 6, 2021 at 18:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark: Re: bi-directional links

...which are easily implemented in Evernote as I'm sure you know, which tempts me further into setting a ZeKa up in Evernote.
September 7, 2021 at 16:52 | Unregistered Commentermichael
michael:

<< bi-directional links... which are easily implemented in Evernote as I'm sure you know >>

No, I don't know, and I'd be very interested to find out how you would do it. Even uni-directional linking is quite cumbersome.
September 8, 2021 at 0:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Just thought I'd mention that Dynailist does bi-directional links of sorts, if you tick the "show backlinks" option in preferences. But as far as I can tell, you can't create notes in the process, as you can in Obsidian. I am happy to be proven wrong if anyone knows a way.

Also, Carl Pullein posted a video on Youtube 6 days ago on the very subject of backlinks in Evernote, but it just drives home how cumbersome they are compared to other apps, and the lack of bi-directionality. If you want to watch it, he gets round to backlinks at 07:48:

http://youtu.be/eU_RnpjFdzM
September 8, 2021 at 18:47 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Ian S:

<< but it just drives home how cumbersome they are compared to other apps, and the lack of bi-directionality >>

Agreed.

I've not used Obsidian but what he's suggesting would take about one second in Roam Research. It's just a matter of typing [[

I've made the same point a couple of times already in this discussion. The purpose of a Zettelkasten is for thinking and writing. The purpose of Evernote is for storing and retrieving information. They do not have the same requirements.

He seems to think that the purpose of Obsidian and Roam Research is to get a pretty diagram of how one's notes are linked together. In fact the diagram is an irrelevance. It's not the point of either program.
September 8, 2021 at 22:46 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Yes DynaList and Obsidian also have the [[ method of creating a link. The difference between these is in Obsidian you link to a file with the given [[name]]. In Dynalist, it opens a search for any text in the outline and generates a link to the item you select.

I haven’t felt the value of the diagram myself, but it’s a popular enough feature that they keep expanding that it feels like it is becoming the reason for Obsidian. Basically, you use the graph to guide you to related information. I agree with you though, it sometimes feels like people are turning information organization into a hobby rather than a means to an end.

I understand Evernote’s “store and find everything here” concept. I agree that isn’t the same as a tool for thinking and writing. But in my world, retrieving information is a fundamental part of thinking and writing. The latter cannot be effective without the former. So I wish to do both with one tool. And to be fair, that is exactly what the original zettelkasten was too. Storing research citations and linking these with original notes relative to them.
September 9, 2021 at 3:52 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
> I understand Evernote’s “store and find everything here” concept.

How is such an Evernote archive structured? Is there a topical hierarchy? Index notes that point to other notes? Categorization?
September 9, 2021 at 10:06 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Christopher:

Basically Evernote is one long collection of notes, arranged in date order. They are orgànized Into one or more notebooks. They can also be tagged. There's a powerful search function. Notes can be linked to each other by internal links. You can generate an index of links for any number of notes which are highlighted together.

Basically that means that you can organise your own structure.
September 9, 2021 at 15:04 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark: Re "linking"

Having done some further research Mark I can see your point. I was thinking of manually inserting internal links would be a way of implementing back linking and forward linking but i can see now that this is a limited implementation of the idea and somewhat tedious. Tagging is of course a way of “gathering” associated notes but I suppose this is more accurately called “implicitly associated notes” but of course tagging is also manual and not automatic. It also of course does not enable associated notes to link to other associated notes or refer back to notes that have not been manually linked. I may have to try Obsidian or one of the others but am reluctant to learn further apps.
September 10, 2021 at 20:12 | Unregistered Commentermichael
Mark:

<<Even if you had thought it all out and written it yourself in the first place? Doing that leaves patterns in the brain which are much more easily resurrected than when reading something written by another person.>>

That's actually part of the problem. Those patterns are what allows us to often overlook errors when we do things like reread, and having the information in separate structures can help us to break those patterns...but...

<<And what about the people who are going to nit-pick about some obscure detail? Are they feeding the whole opus into a ZeKa so they can spot whenever a character is described as right-handed when they were described as left-handed two million words ago?>>

Actually, in the realm of Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels, often times, the answer is...yes! There are multiple layers here, but there are the professionals and team that someone like Sanderson uses to read his books beforehand and catch issues, which may include continuity issues, and I'm sure they have notes and the like, but the important part is actually having multiple people read it to find breaks and inconsistencies that Sanderson might have missed himself.

However, even then, such projects can often be too big for just people to read through them, so what fans often do is create a shared library/database/encyclopedia of all the information they collect about the books. They will reverse engineer plots, arcs, characters, timelines, &c. They'll hyperlink all of this information, and generally put together a giant database of all the information they collect in summary or alternative forms. Often this will include large maps and visualizations of people, genealogies, and so forth. Things like whether a character has blue yes, a certain type of hair, or is left or right handed are often among the first things for people to start gathering.

In some long lived books, people will go through and link together how a specific concept is used throughout the entire set of books. They're often highly detailed about this, so they'll find a list of all the words in the books that are ever used to describe someone's hair, for instance. They'll document each place in the books where this is mentioned, and come up with the list, and then look for inconsistencies (using raven and obsidian as terms, for instance).

Some people will go through and identify exact numerical information stated across the books. So, for instance, if one book lists a certain population distribution one way, but another book says something else casually, they'll find and reference all this data.

When enough people are reading your books and doing this, you end up with a lot of cross examination of minutiae, often in ways that are hard to remember with additional reference materials, of which a digital form of Zettelkasten just happens to be one of the more popular ones used these days.

And yes, this information is used to spawn new ideas, thoughts, and do "thinking." People spend a lot of time exploring these digital Zettelkasten as a part of their love for the books, and then start to formulate ideas around them, share them, and a whole little community arises thinking about this stuff, often with those thoughts going back into the Zettelkasten.
September 11, 2021 at 19:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
The crime novelist James Ellroy wrote a novel where one of the main characters was actually killed in an earlier book. I was at a reading of his when an audience member asked him why he did that, and Ellroy said (I'm editing this for the children), "I effed up."

I think it's pretty common for sf/fantasy authors who are creating these giant worldbuilding series to have their own private wiki to manage the details like timelines, when something happened to a character, etc. It's pretty common for fans to know all the details and for the author to rely on them to let him know what happened in each book (I think this is the case for George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series).

Stephen King I think had his own set of references to the Dark Tower series, which in some way touches all of his 60+ books.
September 13, 2021 at 14:18 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Mike:

That's a really interesting anecdote about James Ellroy. As a writer, especially published like that, I think it would take a lot for me to say something like that, but that certainly adds some unique character to his books. :-)
September 13, 2021 at 21:21 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:

<< And yes, this information is used to spawn new ideas, thoughts, and do "thinking." People spend a lot of time exploring these digital Zettelkasten as a part of their love for the books, and then start to formulate ideas around them, share them, and a whole little community arises thinking about this stuff, often with those thoughts going back into the Zettelkasten. >>

I obviously underestimated people's desire to process useless information.
September 15, 2021 at 20:19 | Unregistered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

You're too busy getting stuff done! :-)
September 16, 2021 at 8:02 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
"The last I heard WorkFlowy was planning to introduce bi-directional links but hadn't yet done so"

Mark, you are right, they don't yet have them fully functioning. They have "embedding" (where a link to a node or nodes is created in another node) and "mirroring" (which allows a node to reside in multiple locations inside of WorkFlowy, manipulatable in any instance, and edited throughout when any instance is edited.) They are about to release the capacity to create a backlink to a new node, and "search nodes" is in the works, which will allow a node to contain the results of a search.

In the mean time, WFx is a heavy hitting Chrome extension that allows me to do a ton with WorkFlowy that isn't native to WorkFlowy, which I use regularly in tandem with WorkFlowy to create some of the effects that aren't currenlty native (that is how I work around some of the things currently lacking.

WorkFlowy's hyperflexibility is what won me over over other possible applications, so I readily deal with some of the mechanics that are currently not released.
September 16, 2021 at 14:13 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Cafe655:

I had a quick look at this and it does look very useful indeed. However I'm still in the process of exploring what Roam Research is capable of and I don't want to change systems for at least the time being.

I'd be interested in any further details you can give, especially of how you yourself use it.
September 16, 2021 at 15:55 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark,

I totally understand not wanting to jump from app to app and never developing deeply. I have tried out an extensive selection of apps (including Roam) and finally realized that for how my brain works WorkFlowy is far and away the best fit for me. Where most (all?) other apps pre-fabricate systems in which you work, WorkFlowy allows me to create the systems for myself. It is kind of a big box of Lego blocks, rather than a preformed kit. Every other app would be appealing in some ways, but would nearly instantly create roadblocks for me, but when I stumbled on WorkFlowy in 2015, I and started to build systems inside of it, I found I could expand out in any direction without resistance and realized "I've finally found my app" and have been working with it ever since. I have a few videos on how I use WorkFlowy here:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpvmh9D8IZig4apLBmpvPEw/videos
September 20, 2021 at 14:45 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Cafe655:

<< I have a few videos on how I use WorkFlowy here >>

Which would be the best one for me to start with in order to get a general picture of how you use WorkFlowy?
September 20, 2021 at 15:27 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
http://youtu.be/mylIbunSjMw

is a video on how I operate day to day using a journal-centric approach to daily execution

http://youtu.be/zGH4cPcJQJY

is an exploration of how I use a dynamic I call "Flywheels and Workflows" which are almost always components of the kinds of solutions I create.
September 21, 2021 at 16:04 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Cafe655,

Seems to me Workflowy is quite dependent on third party addons/plugins/extensions (or whatever they are called).

If I'm right, I'd be very interested in a list of the ones you find useful.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
September 23, 2021 at 9:58 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Ian,

I think that most WorkFlowy users do not use extensions or add ons for the most part. People who are pushing the envelope of what WorkFlowy can do to construct particular things can find them useful, though.

I think that many people do use some CSS to modify the look on web browsers to fit their aesthetic.

The only one that I use is WFx Chrome extension, with the PowerPack plug in. WFx itself, even apart from WorkFlowy is an amazing extension if you use Chrome. I operate most of what I do in Chrome simply because WFx is so powerful in terms of navigating in Chrome. The Powerpack features operate inside of the WFx extension and for someone like me (I have generated probably close to half a million WorkFlowy nodes over the years...but keep it pretty well archived so that I maintain around 100,000 nodes at any time.) Since I do so much work in WorkFlowy, WFx speeds up my operations by orders of magnitude.

(WFx/PowerPack operate on other browsers as well, but I don't use another browser, so I am unfamiliar with which ones it works with and if it operates the same.)

Here is a link to those two items:

http://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wfx/jbehgpdjkcconnaagjhddddfdajbpfhi
http://gumroad.com/l/WFxPowerPack

Dave
September 24, 2021 at 0:20 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Also, I think the best thing about WorkFlowy apart from the strength of the mechanics of the tool, is the community. There is a WorkFlowy User Slack group that is very active, helpful and enjoyable to be a part of. I've never been a part of an app-community like it. I think some people use it just because of the rich engagement of other users and the dev team.
September 24, 2021 at 0:23 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Dave

Thanks for the info and the links. Workflowy is looking more powerful by the day but one thing possibly stopping me moving from Dynalist now, unless I am missing something, is that sorting options are limited to alphabetical (using a bookmarklet). Dynalist sorts in other useful ways, notably by date, which I use a lot.

So one last query and I'll leave you in peace! Am I missing something? (Wouldn't be the first time). Thanks.

Ian
September 26, 2021 at 10:00 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
With WFx you can sort alphabetically, numerically and by date as well as many other functions.
September 26, 2021 at 14:30 | Unregistered CommenterCafe655
Someone should tell Google.

Thanks again.

Ian
September 26, 2021 at 14:53 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
Mark: Re roam research - fyi

There are some interesting articles and approaches to project/workflow management using Roam at http://roambrain.com/we-need-a-non-coercive-alternative-to-gtd-heres-my-solution-in-roam/
October 2, 2021 at 16:47 | Unregistered Commentermichael