To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Successful day with AF

I've always been fascinated by the AutoFocus system, but I've never really had a good time running it successfully. However, today I finally managed to have a really successful day with it. I think the big difference was that I felt like I had "space" in my day. Since I felt like I was already on a good footing (on top of my work), I think it felt easier to run the system with confidence. The more I don't feel "on top of my work" the more I think I gravitate towards a no list system, I think. Of course, this is only a single day, but the difference is that it's much better than I've ever done before with AF, and it was interesting to see the one main thing that changed.
September 20, 2021 at 23:42 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

I think if I had to keep to only one system (mine or someone else's) for the rest of my life I would choose AF. Other systems have their advantages, but AF produces consistently good results. As you say, it's important to be on top of your work, but AF can get you there if you don't overload it right from the start. Also it's important to keep moving at a good pace round the list - don't get bogged down.
September 21, 2021 at 10:10 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

<<I think if I had to keep to only one system (mine or someone else's) for the rest of my life I would choose AF. >>

If you're willing to share - what led you to keep experimenting with various systems vs developing supporting material (book, courses, software/notebook, etc) for AF?

Reading your comments to Aaron here - http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2785911 - I learned a few things I didn't grasp when I first tried AF, many years ago. I think I could have benefited from further discussion and evolving thoughts from it's creator.

For me, as soon as a new system was introduced i.e. DWM, I would abandon the previous system, thinking (incorrectly) that the new system would provide a panacea for my work/life management.
September 21, 2021 at 13:35 | Registered Commenteravrum
Mark:

<< Also it's important to keep moving at a good pace round the list - don't get bogged down.>>

I think this is a really important point, and definitely something that contributed to allowing me to succeed with it the other day.
September 21, 2021 at 13:44 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark:

I think you've written a lot about the advantages of other systems over AutoFocus, and also about the advantages and disadvantages of AF, specifically the growth risk of the list and dealing with urgency.

In this context, what do you feel is the disadvantage(s) of FVP that makes you inclined to pick AF over FVP if you could "only have one for the rest of your life?"
September 21, 2021 at 17:14 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

<< what do you feel is the disadvantage(s) of FVP >>

Every system has its advantages and disadvantages. I don't think anyone has yet invented the perfect one. If they have, I'd like to know about it!

When it comes to choosing a system for the rest of one's life, as opposed to using one for a specific time or purpose, then factors other than mere efficiency come into play. It's a like being told that you have to wear the same clothes all the time for the rest of your life. Would you chose anything you already wear, or would you choose something entirely different?

So I think that the "feel" of a system for the long-term is probably the most important factor. Yes, you want it to be effective, but a degree here or there of effectiveness is less important than being able to wear it comfortably all the time year in year out.

So the advantages of AF from the long-term point of view include:

- You have a restricted list of one page to deal with at any one time, which reduces the oppressiveness of a very long list.

- Working an AF list will train your intuition at least as well and possibly better than any other method.

- You know that the AF list will get all your work done as long as you let it get on with it.

- I just talked about the list doing the work, rather than you doing the work. I think you get that feeling with AF more than any other system.

- There's a safety net in the form of "dismissal" which sifts out work which you are not happy about for any reason.

- An often-remarked feeling about AF is that one feels calm and in control while working it.

I could go on. But I hope you get the drift.
September 21, 2021 at 17:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the commentary Mark! I also definitely appreciate that you've highlighted the difference between "choosing for life" versus "choosing for the moment" when it comes to such tools, especially when it comes to things in the "sustainability" category.
September 21, 2021 at 23:35 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark Forster:

< I think that the "feel" of a system for the long-term is probably the most important factor. Yes, you want it to be effective, but a degree here or there of effectiveness is less important than being able to wear it comfortably all the time year in year out. >

100% agree with this.

Some great commentary here on AF, as well.
September 22, 2021 at 15:10 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
I got off my good schedule yesterday, so I'm going to try to see if I can continue to keep AF working well for me even in the "crazy schedule" times to see whether there is any momentum from having had a few really good days with AF.
September 24, 2021 at 10:46 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron - because of this post, I’m experimenting with Autofocus 1. The last time I use the system, was in 2009. It’s only been one day, but I remember why I once thought it was one of the best life management systems around.
September 24, 2021 at 13:22 | Registered Commenteravrum
I've found that whatever system I use eventually grows stale for some reason. Perhaps the reason (for me specifically) is that what I enjoy is development and experimentation, and once a system has matured, I am no longer experimenting and my personal source of joy diminishes.

Because of this perennial issue, I have finally landed on being quite fluid with my systems. I have housed the "source material" (all my projects and tasks and other sorts of lists) in WorkFlowy, and because of WorkFlowy's flexibility, I can, from the same source material, reconfigure the system I apply to it to create a new system in a matter of minutes without losing the source materials integrity at all.

Letting myself have the freedom to rapidly deploy a new type of system on a whim while still ensuring things don't get lost has been a deeply satisfying way of dealing with the "what system to use" problem.
September 25, 2021 at 12:34 | Registered CommenterCafe655
Hi Mark-- I've used a system like yours for years: one long list that I choose items from intuitively, adding new items at the end and crossing off. I tried using a spiral notebook for a month and have gone back to my system, which is slightly different in format.

A few thoughts: I use a three-ring 6/9 Staples binder; I print out copies of a form that has 15 numbered rectangles shaped like file folder labels; I circle the numbers of any items that are time sensitive; I put a * in front of any urgent items; I highlight the numbers for key areas (red creative-orange-people-green- self-blue paperwork-yellow house, stuff); I begin items with verbs.

This way I can choose to scan for verbs (all items that say call); or for time sensitively; or for key areas. Sometimes I just make some progress on the oldest item. (I have 15 pages right now). I enter items as next baby steps in projects (David Allen) and when I do a step, I add the next step at the front of the list. I draw a line under each day to see how many items I am adding.When a page is mostly done, I move the few remaining items to the front of the list and rip out the page. This keeps the list from becoming cumbersome. It never has to be copied over. Works for me! Curious what you and others think.
September 25, 2021 at 15:39 | Unregistered CommenterDeb
Deb:

Your system sounds interesting. The main difference is that I don't advise making any type of priority marking. But if it works for you, stick to it!
September 26, 2021 at 9:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster