To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Systems for working with no list at all

For the moment, I'm succumbing to resistance to writing everything down (cf. http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2786084 ). I might take a break from my "no-list" list for a few days. So, I'm entertaining the possibility of working with no list at all. Has anyone found a successful way of doing this? I've worked with no list at all (and asystematically) previously. It wasn't all bad, but there is a tendency to "drift" (to use Mark's word).

In the past, I've also tested Mark's questions "What am I resisting not doing?" and "Is this what I want to be doing?" (the latter may work best with the "Dreams" approach; unfortunately, I stopped short of fully implementing that). Some good results, but one difficulty with stand-alone questions is that it can be tough to keep asking them. And the cognitive load can be heavier than simply writing a task down.

Mark's "What am I resisting?" question (from "Get Everything Done") seems attractive, but I'm not sure it adequately addresses low-resistance tasks or tasks that have moved from high-resistance to low-resistance (both presumably would not be selected). I might be misunderstanding here.

One possibility that crosses my mind in light of Mark's recent blog post would be to work without a list but to use a timer to add structure (and some concentration) to one's work.

Anyway, any other ideas for stand-alone questions for deciding what to do without a list? Any approaches for working effectively with no list at all? Or am I going to be heading back to some form of list pretty soon?

Relevant reading:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2016/1/29/types-of-list-v-using-no-list-at-all.html
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2006/11/16/powerful-questions.html
October 2, 2021 at 16:17 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
I have many times contemplated your question but the answer has always been: can’t be done successfully. Can be done unsuccessfully and i’ve many times been there.
October 2, 2021 at 16:26 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Belacqa:

<< Mark's "What am I resisting?" question (from "Get Everything Done") seems attractive, but I'm not sure it adequately addresses low-resistance tasks or tasks that have moved from high-resistance to low-resistance (both presumably would not be selected). I might be misunderstanding here. >>

I've in the past kept going for weeks on end just using this question and nothing else.

It seems to work perfectly well with low-resistance tasks, and to be honest I have no idea why.

Maybe the answer is that the question has an unspoken addendum, which is "What am I resisting, (or would be if I didn't do it right now)?"

Another important point is that you shouldn't spend time thinking about the answer. Just go with the first thing that comes to mind. I always found that resistance to the task disappeared with the answer.

It would certainly be worth your while to try it out.
October 2, 2021 at 16:45 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thank you, Mark.

One clarification about the Resistance Principle: Is the optimal time to ask "What am I resisting?" a) before you start a task (in order to choose a task) or b) after you have started a task (in order to determine whether you should continue or switch to something else)?

In most of your systems, task selection takes place at moment a). But the following article made me think that "What am I resisting?" is meant to be asked at moment b), because of the theory that you are either currently doing the optimal action or resisting it. (If I recall, this last idea was not explicit in the "Get Everything Done" chapter.)

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2007/1/13/the-resistance-principle.html

I'm sorry if I'm overthinking this. It's an interesting idea--but taking some time to grasp.
October 3, 2021 at 21:43 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Mark's book "Dreams" outlines a no-list-at-all system based on journaling activities and pull-mode. It's awesome. After a while pull-mode sets in and it's a terrific feeling.
October 4, 2021 at 11:42 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Belacqua:

<< One clarification about the Resistance Principle: Is the optimal time to ask "What am I resisting?" a) before you start a task (in order to choose a task) or b) after you have started a task (in order to determine whether you should continue or switch to something else)? >>

The idea is that you ask the question after you finish one task and before you start the next. But you can also use it if necessary while you are doing a task to check whether you should still be doing it or whether you should move on to something else.
October 4, 2021 at 14:23 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Christopher:

<< Mark's book "Dreams" outlines a no-list-at-all system based on journaling activities and pull-mode. It's awesome. After a while pull-mode sets in and it's a terrific feeling. >>

For sure, that sounds attractive. I recently ordered a paper copy of Dreams, so I will have a chance to look at it more closely.
October 4, 2021 at 14:25 | Registered CommenterBelacqua