To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Dreams, AF, and Intuition

Mark:

Back in 2011 you had some fun revisiting Dreams a bit, but I lost the thread of the experiment and never was able to find your conclusions. Did you do a write up at some point of your revisit after having explored a lot of the other list-based systems? I got the impression that a lot of your interest in list-based systems after Dreams was partly because you found that it was difficult for people to stick with the Dreams method, and so you started to look for a more mechanical and less introspective way of working with your intuition. Is this is an accurate assessment? You say multiple times in response to people exploring dreams that doing the exercises is critical, which makes me think that the "failure mode" for the Dreams method was an apparently easily made resistance to doing the exercises?

Additionally, with your recent AF revisit (http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2021/5/10/revisiting-autofocus.html) I notice that shortly after that you started to take up a new dismissal rule, concluding eventually that the new rule didn't really fundamentally improve AF. However, your goals in your original revisiting experiment seem to have gone unanswered publicly, which was to assess more deeply how well AF was able to "focus" in through intuition on what was really important in one's life.

The obvious connection between AF and Dreams is the desire to allow one's life to emerge via intuition and method. I believe you've written an article on AF specifically about allowing something like an ideal life to emerge intuitively through working the system. This seems, to me, to mirror or reflect the ideas in Dreams about allowing life to happen and leveraging intuition to solve the issue to getting from the present to the future.

Do you have any thoughts on which system you think is more able, given more time and distance from the initial creation of both, to leverage intuition and be sustainably effective? Let's assume for the moment that both are equally easy to implement, since, in my case, the exercises in Dreams are not foreign or scary at all to me, and I'd find them no more difficult than running AF I think.

It seems to me that another way of phrasing this question might be, is it more effective to use a mechanical method to grow a vision intuitively, or to instead use clarity to solve the mechanical details intuitively?
October 5, 2021 at 16:07 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

<< to assess more deeply how well AF was able to "focus" in through intuition on what was really important in one's life. >>

Yes, I'd say that this was and continues to be one of my main aims in dealing with time management systems - though I may not at any one time be consciously pursuing it.

The aim of successful time management for me is not just to process tons and tons of raw material (i.e. tasks) but to enable the person to build up a coherent vision of what they want to achieve overall. So you could say that all my systems are intended to have that larger aim.

Developing my first TM system "Get Everything Done" enabled me to train as a life coach, leave my employment, set up a coaching business of my own, write books and give seminars based on the books. That particular system was a purely mechanical one. It certainly enabled me to clarify my vision as I went along. On the other hand the driving force behind "Dreams" was to find a way of speeding up that process.

I think the most important thing to remember is that fulfilling a vision is a two-way process. Action grows out of the vision, but also the vision grows out of the action. You might start off with a vision to learn to ride a bicycle, with no further aim than to be able to get to school more easily than walking. But then you find you enjoy riding, so you branch out into all the different sports which cycles are involved in. And eventually you find yourself taking part in the World Championships for one of them. That was never your original aim, but the vision for it developed as you went along.

Given what little I know about you, I would say you would probably find "Dreams" more congenial than AF but I can't guarantee that!
October 5, 2021 at 17:56 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the clarifications Mark!

I have had enough success with AF lately to feel rather confident that I could now work that systems fairly well long term if I wanted to. I'm quite curious to see if Dreams creates much of a different effect on me versus using AF or other intuitive long list systems. Time will tell! It's also going to be very interesting driving things based solely on journaling again.

In a purely silly note, Dreams let's me do fun writing with my fountain pens which I find rather fun.

How do you think Dreams compares to some other well known journalling approaches? I'm thinking here of Morning Pages and Future Authoring in particular.

Morning Pages is much less structured. It seems to be very easy to add, and some people seem to get the same sort of benefits of clarity from it that Dreams promotes, but it seems less targeted and more unpredictable to me.

Future Authoring is much more structured, and definitely more rational, in that it goes from free form visionary work to articulating that vision a little more clearly and with more structure, before finally attaching it to micro-habits in the day that will lead to the goal(s). It also has the interesting difference in that it doesn't use a present reality, but it instead assumes that you have a little better sense of your present reality and instead has you plot your ideal future and your "personal hell" that you want to avoid, with the idea that you'll run away from one and run towards the other. It seems to share the idea of living in a day/present and having a long future, but not excessively planning the in-between space.
October 6, 2021 at 10:15 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
One thing I'm wondering about Dreams is how well it may be able to provide energy without leading to burnout through a sort of obsessive quality if the pull is "too strong". You get that meditative quality of being in the Zone with AF because of the rules, but they are somewhat limiting so you aren't likely to hyperfocus too much. It seems like the max potential energy cultivation might be stronger with Dreams, but I wonder if there's a failure mode that might occur if you end up with *too* much energy.
October 6, 2021 at 10:19 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark: "Action grows out of the vision, but also the vision grows out of the action."

This is an excellent (and pithy) summation of a concept I have been trying to get people in my professional life (including myself) to understand. Thank you!
October 6, 2021 at 14:41 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Mark:

I've been reading through this blog, the forums, and the book to try to get a feel for the Dreams method. It looks obscenely simple, but it also seems like it is one of those things that if I don't get quite right, I could easily end up highly unproductive (drift mode) instead of the way I'm wanting.

I've read through most of what I could find in the forums and blogs, and I think I've got a pretty good sense of things, but I wonder if you could highlight anything or a few things (in the forum, blog, or just here directly) that you think would be good for me to focus on if I were thinking about trying to make this a long term "productivity method" and not just a short burst of effort and energy to get some clarity and then move to something else (like a long list). What does it take to make this system work efficiently and well in the long term?

Right now, I've focusing my priorities in this order:

1. What's better list.
2. Goal Achievement Method
3. Self-coaching dialogues.

I'm also starting with long term goals, as that's really what matters to me right now.

It really does seem like it's pretty straightforward, but, like AF, I wonder if there are some things that are key to unlocking and watching out for (pitfalls) where many have failed before.
October 7, 2021 at 6:33 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

<< I wonder if you could highlight anything or a few things (in the forum, blog, or just here directly) >>

All the bits of the system work together, so the most important bit of advice I can give you is to keep it in balance without emphasizing one part over another.
October 7, 2021 at 8:07 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks Mark! I am already seeing how the various components feed into each other. I think the "What's better" list is the hardest for me right now, but I'm getting there. :-)
October 7, 2021 at 8:25 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

One thing I picked up from reading "Dreams" was perhaps to have in mind a specific project or event you're working towards, a short-term low-impact sort of project where you can try these methods out. I think there's a story in the book about a jazz singer Mark coached who used these methods to prep for a big performance.

The methods are rather holistic -- they all support each other. But engaging in them while keeping a specific project in mind might be helpful.
October 7, 2021 at 14:43 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Mark:

It occurs to me that Dreams is pretty focused on leveraging intuition, but do you think that AF is more or less effective at actually training that intuition? I see how each of the 3 main components of dreams is training a different part of your awareness:

1. GAM is training your ability to recognize a path from your present to your future, as well as trying to get your awareness of the present more accurate. It's also helping to hone your focus in your mind towards a specific reality/objective so that your motivation remains high towards that thing.

2. The What's Better? list helps to hone your sensitivity towards progress on specific goals, specifically to highlight the small wins that represent progress that can often be lost. I think this is sort of like the small win you can mark on your long list by doing just a little something on the list. It feels good and represents progress when you can at least cross it off the list, even if you re-enter it.

3. The Dialoguing hopefully helps you to raise your internal awareness and help to move you from unclear intent towards clear intent, as well as potentially unsticking some resistance points that you might have.

How do you think this compare to AF's approach to training your intuition and understanding?
October 13, 2021 at 1:44 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
I don’t find AF trains intuition nor understanding, particularly not towards long term goals and desires. So in my mind these are completely different things.
October 13, 2021 at 15:44 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

<< I don’t find AF trains intuition >>

AF isn't intended to train intuition so much as use intuition. But on the other hand whenever you use something consistently you do get better at using it.

<< nor understanding, particularly not towards long term goals and desires. >>

This is true if all your tasks are on the level of "Clean Desktop", "Tidy Drawer", "Call Restaurant". But AF is intended to be used at all levels of tasks. For example, tasks which I frequently use are variations of "Think about...", "What do I want out of...?", "Who is my ideal customer?", "What should I be aiming at in ten years time?", "Plan Conference" etc.. Other lower level tasks grow out of these.
October 13, 2021 at 17:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

<<But AF is intended to be used at all levels of tasks. For example, tasks which I frequently use are variations of "Think about...", "What do I want out of...?", "Who is my ideal customer?", "What should I be aiming at in ten years time?", "Plan Conference" etc.. Other lower level tasks grow out of these.>>

I'd say this is probably one of the key differentiators of your systems versus others, and it's, IMO, one of the main reasons to actually use a "Mark Forster" style system over other popular approaches. I actually think this little feature in your systems doesn't get enough attention.

I think a lot of people try to just use your long list systems as a way of processing their to do lists that are created or informed via other systems' ideas of what a list should be. I think that misses the point a little bit.

In systems like GTD that require your main todo lists to be a list of physical next actions, the system has to become more complicated to handle all the ancillary stuff that is needed to keep you focused and on target. So you end up with the Weekly Review and Projects lists and the capture phase and the processing phase and all sorts of stuff to account for the fact that our primary lists aren't allowed to have any of that information in it. The same goes for an Ivy Lee list the way most people use it, or MITs, or Kanban, or time-boxing or all sorts of other stuff. The emphasis in these other systems is to have separate meta-analysis processes and to restrict the todo list as much as possible to strictly "next action" oriented stuff.

But if you have a slightly more sophisticated system for processing your list, you can then introduce interesting things onto that list that you might not otherwise be able to in another system. This is probably my favorite aspect of long list systems. You are able to encode other processes that you might need to do as different tasks of different levels and quality into your long list and leverage the list processing system to enable you to engage with those other processes "in list". I find that this encourages a more dynamic and balanced approach to handling different "levels" of analysis in your life.

For example, one of the hardest aspects of GTD for many people is the weekly review, but the weekly review is critical to the long term success of GTD systems. However, you can essentially put a bunch of micro-style weekly reviews into a MF long list system and tackle them little and often. That is more sustainable for most people and moreover, encourages a more dynamic and flexible engagement with the higher level stuff in your life than you might get from just doing the weekly review.
October 15, 2021 at 0:58 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:

I missed one type of task which I frequently use with my systems. That is I put a major project as a task on the list without qualification, e.g. Summer Ball

What I do when the task gets selected is do some work on it. In other words the task is short for (Do some work on organizing the) Summer Ball.

I then do whatever work springs to mind in connection with the Summer Ball. That might be "think about" or "plan" type tasks. Or it might be something concrete like "Make a provisional booking" or it might be a combination of all three.

Doing some work on a project is more effective for getting it moving than planning it. That's not to say that planning is not necessary, but it's doing some work which will actually get you going and make you more aware of what needs to be done.

Just like learning to ride a bike. Getting on a bike and falling off a few times is much more effective for getting you going than writing "Plan Learning to Ride Bicycle" in your schedule.
October 15, 2021 at 9:56 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I enjoyed reading the last post of Mark Forster, and I put some of my thoughts prompted by it on the thread that I started - Is it helpful to set limits on the length of long lists?
October 15, 2021 at 18:04 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
David Viscott, in several of his books, breaks down the steps of a project in describing his Action Board. He doesn't always use the same steps. As I recall, they are:
1. idea
2. research
3. Ready - ready to start
4. Actively working
5. Finishing

He describes his Action Board, which is similar to a Kanban board, where you move a project on an index card from left to right depending on what stage of the project it is on. This looks useful, but I have never been able to implement it. I get hung up on which stage a project is, and it gets too complicated. I notice that Mark Forster mixes ideas, planning, name of project, next actions or sub-projects together.
This speeds up the process of moving ahead on items.
It is sometimes true that it is only after starting something that you realize that it will take too much time, or is not worth doing, or know what the steps will be.
Or an idea (such as brainstorming sessions) is the project. Or that research for a student or scholar is a project, or making a major decision, or getting ready to move is a project.
In many cases, the thinking and doing go together.
October 15, 2021 at 18:50 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.