To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Dealing with the negative in Dreams

I noticed that the Dreams book has a section on negative patterns which is pretty straightforward. However, I'm wondering about how you might address more fundamental negatives when it comes to the vision, present reality, and so forth.

Specifically, it seems likely that most people, including myself, have certain things that we are doing which might be considered negative patterns, but the thing is, they are also positive patterns, because they give us something that we want. There's a cost to them, but there's also a reward. Additionally, for a given vision, how might we adequately address the cost of that vision?

For example, if I have this great vision that I am pleased about, but then I feel like I start making a move towards it only to be confronted with the uncomfortable reality of what it might take to get to that vision, I'm going to end up frustrated and probably avoid trying to pursue the vision. In some sense, the expectation is having the reality described in the vision, but the daily reality of moving towards that outcome might be much more costly and negative than that. What's the "Dreams" method of addressing such issues?

There's a bit in the Dreams book about being too attached to things working out in a certain way, and particularly, of letting the mind find a way to the vision. But that begs the question of what the vision might be in the first place. The more detailed and specific the vision, the more constrained the possible solutions are. But a vision like, "I want to feel good about myself." feels...somewhat vacuous. Also, let's say a vision might have something to do with gaining some sort of control (this could be in response to overwhelm in some area of life, I think email is something that comes up in the book, for example). Intellectually, I get the idea of letting something happen, including letting the gaining of control happen, but I'm not sure how to distinguish between trying to push for things to be a certain way (making the world the way I want), versus a vision of things being a certain way and then somehow letting that happen.

And then there is the difference in time scales. So, you might have a vision for various positive things in your life over time, but those things might require significant short term sacrifice (negatives). How do you deal with those negatives, especially in the presence of short term solutions that give you the same positive emotional feelings as your long term goals, but are doomed to fail over time? There's a cost and benefit to each of them, but they both conflict with one another because they are inverted in terms of their cost-reward system. And in some sense, I don't think you could really argue that one is better than the other inherently, though we might generally want the positive outcome of one more than the other, but not want the negatives.

How does Dreams deal with this sort of conflict? Especially given the "let it happen", I'm not sure how that works. If you are very focused on the positive outcomes of some vision, but then you brain sees this short term thing that actually gives you most of what you see in your positive vision more quickly, but can't sustain it (which might be a part of your vision), it seems like just letting things happen would pull you towards the short term 90% solution at the cost of a long term 95% solution, because the long term solution has a much higher cost, likelihood of failure, and means that you don't get to experience your vision for a longer time.

These are all obvious forms of cognitive dissonance, but how would Dreams deal with them?

I guess at the root of this is a question of how Dreams deals with the negative costs of positive things or the positive benefits of negative things given its apparent emphasis on the "positive vision" elements as well as the What's Better? list.
October 13, 2021 at 2:21 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:

<< These are all obvious forms of cognitive dissonance, but how would Dreams deal with them? >>

Well, the answer is that "Dreams" doesn't deal with them - you do. "Dreams" is only a road map, a process, whatever you like to call it. As you progress along the road to what you are aiming for, you become more aware of what is involved, both rewards and penalties. At the same time your vision is refined and more and more of your energies get directed towards it.

But, as I think I say somewhere in the book, the end result of all this may that you discover that you don't really want it, or you do want it but the price is too high. Or that you can achieve much the same result in terms of your wants and ambitions in an easier or more effective way.
October 13, 2021 at 9:51 | Registered CommenterMark Forster