To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Deceleration

Here's a new twist on productivity. I saw it mentioned in Oliver Burkeman's latest book. . A USA academic at Harvard expects her students to spend 3 hours in front of 1 painting when they start her Art course. She calls it "decelerating". It's meant to encourage focused attention and overcome distractions. Details: http://www.harvardmagazine.com/2013/11/the-power-of-patience
October 18, 2021 at 22:53 | Unregistered Commentermichael
So that's time-boxing for art review. Not bad.
October 19, 2021 at 7:49 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Yes, time-boxing, but also, I think, deliberate slowing rather than increasing pace, which I for one often identify with "being productive".
October 19, 2021 at 10:43 | Unregistered Commentermichael
michael:

That's a very interesting article and resonates with me in many ways.

I've always hated guided tours because they whisk you from one "sight" to another with the guide talking the whole time. While what I really want is not information but to get the feel of the place - then but only then will the information make sense.

So for instance may years ago I went round the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam three times in three days. I looked at each painting in turn until I felt it speak to me. By the end of those three days, I felt I really knew van Gogh and everything I have subsequently read about him (or by him - he was a prolific letter writer) has fitted into that knowing.

I used a similar method with church groups to get ideas. I would get the whole group (usually about 10-15 people) to sit in silence for 30 minutes and write down any ideas they had as the ideas came to them. The effect of sitting on the same question for 30 minutes is that usually they wrote quite a bit at the start, then dried up, but towards the end they got a burst of creativity, and often the best ideas came out of that end burst. It was noticeable though that some people, often the most vocal, simply couldn't do the exercise. Sitting quietly for 30 minutes was impossible for them.

Once I used an exercise with a group of young executives to show them how long time really was. We were supposed to start at 10 a.m. and at 10 a.m I said "We're about to start" but made no effort to stop them chattering. At 10.05 I stopped them and said "That's was five minutes, now I'm going to show you how long five minutes really is. I'm setting this timer for five minutes and I want you to sit where you are without talking, without reading, doing nothing." Most of them found it really uncomfortable because it seemed to go on for so long.
October 19, 2021 at 11:12 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark: it was interesting to read how your approach to time management reflects your wider interests and approach to things. There's a whole world-view in there.
October 20, 2021 at 10:03 | Unregistered Commentermichael