To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Say no to urgency

Further to Nico’s system of urgency, on the face of it that looks like a very good system indeed.

Priority systems always seem to be a recognised and logical way of dealing with things and they have been around a long time – A,B C method etc. But are they really a good idea? Does urgency just create more urgency in one’s life and other people who you engage with (I think so).

My thoughts are that if we generally work on items that seem urgent and prioritise things, then naturally certain tasks get pushed back and a backlog arises (which can be dealt with by CI or MIT of course). They are usually tasks you don’t really want to do or lower priority things that can wait. At some point those pushed back tasks inevitably become urgent and if someone else is involved then you are passing on your urgency to them (urgency seems to spread!). Before we know it, more or less everything is urgent and that has happened to me a lot in the past when I just get swamped.

Working on things in urgency order can be very useful as it creates a capacity to take on a large amount of work. But I think that is problematic as we often don’t know our limits and when to say no. It is too easy to take on too much and prioritising enables that.

Should we say no to urgency and just deal with things in our own time? Or resist requests to do things and say it can only be done in x weeks/months? Systems like Mark’s Do It Tomorrow are of course perfect as they don’t spread urgency.

Luckily I have more time available than my tasks take to complete, so I don’t have the problem and I’m more or less doing Mark’s DIT system (or more like do it in a few days). My oldest task is Wednesday this week, but of course we all have times when too much work comes in outside of our control (I was formally Mr Backlog and a very stressful time overall – much happier now).
October 22, 2021 at 15:59 | Unregistered CommenterMr Done
Mr Done:

<< Does urgency just create more urgency in one’s life and other people who you engage with (I think so). >>

I did suggest in one of my books that a good rule would be "Do the least urgent thing first". (I was referring to projects, rather than routine tasks).

The thinking behind it is that if you do everything you can do when first taking on a project and keep doing everything to do with it as soon as you are able to, then it will never get urgent and you will never feel time pressure.

I still think it's not a bad rule though I've never really tried to keep to it consistently.
October 26, 2021 at 10:50 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mr.Done

The central theme of my system is do work on your current initiative first. The urgent stuff is secondary.

Nico
October 28, 2021 at 6:20 | Unregistered CommenterNico
Nico: I don’t know why, but whenever I do tasks into some sort or urgency/CI order, then stress and procrastination sets in. It seems like my brain also resists those tasks. It is like those tasks have a red flag signalling “difficult” etc, even though they may not be. Very odd. Also, I’m very aware of all the tasks and I can’t seem to switch off. For some strange reason I wake up a 4am thinking about them!
I need a blinkered approach – the less I know the better. Ideally the only thing on my mind is the last one I completed. Anyway, I guess we are all different and what works for some won’t for others. But for me, just doing the oldest tasks works and ignoring urgency and everything else. But of course, that only works if I can keep up to date. My stress levels are linked entirely to how old my tasks are.
Also, I have got a lot of deadlines and a lot of tasks coming in, so it is actually quite difficult to sort things into urgency/CI order. It can be done but takes time which I guess is better spent just doing the tasks.
October 28, 2021 at 9:30 | Unregistered CommenterMr Done
Nico: << The central theme of my system is ... >>
Mr. Done: <<I need a blinkered approach... >>

The practice is learning to cultivate patience, while experimenting with different ideas and tools. The gold is discovering what "I need... " to live a reasonably meaningful and organized life. The wisdom is knowing that it might only appeal to sample size of one.

My clinical focus is marriage/family therapy. However the issue of productivity is sometimes discussed. I would never recommend one system over another until I have a comprehensive understanding of the person sitting in front of me. And even then, I suggest a few different approaches (AF is one of them), and encourage my clients to see if they can sustain the productivity habit past the honeymoon phase of appx 6 months. If it sticks past 6 months, and they can point to a few markers of improvements in their life, I'd call that a success. Until that point, it's mostly fumes and cosmetics, and likely behavioural changes designed to please the clinician ;)
October 28, 2021 at 12:33 | Registered Commenteravrum