To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Systems that minimize time spent deciding

What systems, Mark style or otherwise, do you think result in the least amount of time deciding what to do overall (including any planning overhead)?

Sometimes, with lists, you can find yourself sort of looking at the list and taking time to decide what to do, or sometimes, with no list type systems, you can sometimes spend a bit more time racking your brain for "what to do" or maybe "what you're missing".

Mark's comments about how little time and energy was spent deciding what to do in his experiments with Predicting Your Day got me thinking about this.
November 8, 2021 at 4:15 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
<< What systems do you think result in the least amount of time deciding what to do>>

Step 1: Find my wife
Step 2: I'm told what to do

Only 1/2 joking
November 8, 2021 at 12:16 | Registered Commenteravrum
Find a thing to do, or the right thing to do?

Random is the best at finding a thing to do, and if you have no problem just crossing off a task if you the selected one is not relevant, or committing yourself to doing just a little on anything that you land on, it will get you to the right stuff soon enough.
November 8, 2021 at 13:22 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
By that measure DIT goes to Decision Time Zero.

Everything is automatically scheduled to a given day or even time in the case of Ongoing Projects.

Ideas go into the queue for the CI and are dealt with one at a time automatically.

Of course, when things break down a commitments review is due and that can take a long time. This can be minimized by starting tasks "decide wether I want to do X."
November 8, 2021 at 13:50 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
<<Sometimes, with lists, you can find yourself sort of looking at the list and taking time to decide what to do, or sometimes, with no list type systems, you can sometimes spend a bit more time racking your brain for "what to do" or maybe "what you're missing". >>

I think if you find yourself "racking your brain" then you are not using any of Mark's systems correctly. At that point, the managerial part of the brain is overruling the intuition and saying the latter is not to be trusted. The brass band is drowning out the flute, so to speak.

Apart from the marvelous mechanical innovations Mark has described -- as with DIT and Random described above -- Mark's methods seem to me to be about working with and trusting one's intuition. The next item to be done or written down should just come to one without any efforting.

Also, sometimes my intuition tells me to check my calendar or time-block, or whatever. Use of intuition is not yoked exclusively to just the list.
November 8, 2021 at 14:55 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I think what I'm referring to is the opposite sort of thing. This is more of a FOMO situation in which your intuition is *strongly* pinging with an emotional state saying that what you think you should be doing isn't actually what you should be doing. The trick, of course, is that your intuition can't actually come up with anything. It's just being emotional.

Maybe NL-FVP is where this is most easy to imagine. You write down X, and then you want to do Y more, and then Z. Now you get to see, and you ask if there is anything else you want to do before Z, to which you mind says, YES! but then when you actually try to identify what it is that you want to do, your mind goes completely blank.

But this can happen with just about any system. With a no list system, you can just be sitting there with a strong sense that there's more you want/need to put on your list, but you can't figure out what.

Or with a long list, you might have a set of things you are looking at, say, with simple scanning, but you go round and round the list and you reach an equilibrium in which your intuition is saying both to do something *and* that there's something else you need to do.

With an AF list I have found this to occur less than other systems because of the focusing effect of a closed list and the desire that it creates to move to the next page.

What struck me as potentially desirable about something like Predicting Your Day was the idea that there was very, very little deciding that had to be done up front (you don't prioritize order of execution like you would with an Ivy Lee or some other No List type) and you did it only once a day, whereas the rest of the day was driven very strongly by intuition with essentially zero mechanical operation in the middle of the day. That sense of being able to effortlessly transition from one thing to another without the "racking your brain" decision paralysis seems quite desirable.

IME, even intuition can encounter a sort of decision paralysis. Usually it ends up in my case with being very slow to get through a list because of intuition driving me towards more than one thing at the same time, making it hard to actually commit to doing one thing over the other.
November 8, 2021 at 16:49 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:
<< IME, even intuition can encounter a sort of decision paralysis. >>

There are a lot of idea in my professional world (psychotherapy) and productivity that sound good in theory, but fizzle in practice.

I have also encountered a "decision paralysis" vis-a-vis intuition. I'd scan my AF list, and stumble upon something I need/want to do and think: Is this my intuition driving the choice? Is it guilt? It kind of feels like something in-between, etc etc. That internal dialogue provided enough internal friction for me to question the efficacy of AF. I'm fully aware this might be a personal quirk, and others have an easier time with intuition.

As an aside, I have the same problem with romantic love. I could never get my head around the concept. And I did much better bypassing the "But am I in love with... " question, and getting on with my life. So far, my marriage seems to be doing just fine ;)
November 8, 2021 at 17:51 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

My current suspicion is that the intuitive "blockade" is possibly a type of "idealistic procrastination" and manifestation of the paradox of choice. In terms of the big-Five model with the two-aspect distinction, where Conscientiousness is divided into Industriousness and Orderliness, I suspect it might be a sort of manifestation of high orderliness with relatively low industriousness.

I think this lack of commitment/confidence in a choice manifests verbally as, "There's got to be something better," but without being able to actually find something. Of course, this could also be explained in terms of whatever that brain circuitry is that focuses on exploration and curiosity over execution.

One model I've seen for addressing idealistic procrastination is to acknowledge the fantasy, mourn the loss, and then purposefully shoot for clearing a low bar. I think that's all well and good on a "big thing" that you're not taking action on, but it's torture at a low level because of the amount of mental effort required to go through that process, stop yourself, and then actually let yourself make a (theoretically potentially sub-optimal) choice.

My theory with this thread is that one technique for dealing with this might be to simply bypass the initial trigger for rumination and paralysis by using a system that reduces or eliminates the actual amount of "decisions" that you have to make at a given point without feeling oppressive. That seems to suggest somehow a system that pre-chooses just enough to meet some level of commitment but without running afoul of natural scheduling and planning variations that occur. On the other hand, systems that require you to constantly choose between two things all the time could exacerbate such a situation.

Simple Scanning is an example of constantly making unconstrained choice. Predicting your day includes pre-choice with very little but some commitment, while also reducing or eliminating the mechanical choice points throughout the day. But I'm wondering how other systems might compare in terms of that "fast and effortless decisions" metric.
November 8, 2021 at 20:45 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
avrum:

I'm curious, if you experience "intuitive choice paralysis", what methods did you use to overcome them? Do you have a favorite system that you like to use?
November 8, 2021 at 20:47 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
avrum:

<< As an aside, I have the same problem with romantic love. I could never get my head around the concept. And I did much better bypassing the "But am I in love with... " question, and getting on with my life. So far, my marriage seems to be doing just fine ;) >>

Presumably you don't let your wife read the comments section of this blog?
November 9, 2021 at 20:01 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
My ideal system would be like Google Maps. You tell it where you want to go and it gives you an instruction every time you come to a choice.

If you make a mistake or want to make a detour, it picks up where you've got to, and just carries on giving you instructions.to your destination.

And I always love it when it says "You are on the shortest route to your destination". Where else could one be?
November 9, 2021 at 20:07 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
"You are on the least stressful route to your destination"
November 10, 2021 at 18:30 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Mark:

<<Presumably you don't let your wife read the comments section of this blog?>>

You have presumed correct, sir. Still, we co-authored a workbook for singles/couples, so she has a pretty good idea where I stand on this issue (see title): http://www.amazon.ca/dp/0995987009/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_D6SHFMYF5PD5BA5G43WW
November 10, 2021 at 19:21 | Registered Commenteravrum
"You are on the most scenic route to your destination".
November 10, 2021 at 19:22 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
"You are on the longest route to get away from your destination."
November 10, 2021 at 19:52 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
"You didn't really want to go there in the first place so just enjoy the ride."
November 11, 2021 at 14:11 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
“I wouldn’t start from here if I were you.”
November 11, 2021 at 19:37 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
"When it is safe, make a legal U-Turn"
November 11, 2021 at 21:23 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
"GPS signal lost."
November 11, 2021 at 22:22 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
"Head southeast."
November 12, 2021 at 5:44 | Unregistered CommenterVirix