To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Task management in "Dreams"

A few weeks ago, I read "How to Make Your Dreams Come True." (I have now read all of Mark's books!) I think I put off reading this one so long because I imagined it would be "different" and less practical than the rest. It *is* different, but not in a bad way. It is quite a book: original, memorable, and inspiring. The dialogues have a catchy literary quality unlike anything else I have read. It's one of those books that will stay with you for a long time.

I've found many of the ideas in the book to be useful even after brief consideration. I feel that I have a clear vision and I'm being "pulled" towards it. What resonates is the underlying principle that you can do what you want to do (with the confidence that you are not "drifting" but are moving toward your goals).

One question has lingered in my mind, though--and this is because I am coming to "Dreams" after Mark's other systems.

I'm wondering: In the "Dreams" approach, to what extent (if at all) should one use other task management systems/techniques? (Perhaps the correct "Dreams"-ian answer is: "If you feel like doing it.") I'm wondering specifically about the use of: 1. a long list (e.g. Simple Scanning) and 2. timers (as in "Get Everything Done" and as recently described on this blog). Of course, long lists can be helpful to keep track of many tasks (relieving the memory). And timers seem like a possible solution to a problem of mine: working too slowly.

I ask because, while "Dreams" doesn't seem to be a prescriptive, I get the sense that the default is to use none of the above and, indeed, to use no list at all. Now, I suppose someone using "Dreams" would still need an agenda or some kind of "bring forward"/tickler system. (I see no point in doing otherwise.) Also, I assume that making ad hoc lists of stuff to do (and tearing them up afterward) is par for the course with "Dreams." Mark's systems have never been about keeping stuff in your head to the point where it gets in the way of efficiency.

And yet, I also get the sense that "Dreams" is meant to be a complete system in itself, that it was not intended to be paired with, say, a long-list system or timers. Perhaps there would be a danger of falling into "push mode" or otherwise short-circuiting the "Dreams" process. But maybe this is wrong? Maybe using "Dreams" to clarify the future vision and inaugurate pull mode + using Simple Scanning for efficient processing of tasks would be a powerful combination? Similarly, perhaps using timers would boost one's speed and concentration, mitigating the pitfalls of "drift mode"? I don't know!

Any thoughts from Mark or others on this hybrid approach?
November 14, 2021 at 16:50 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
I agree that the "canonical" approach described in Dreams is to forego a todo list, in so far as Mark's systems might be considered canonical. Naturally, I think the idea of reminders and a calendar would be considered par for the course. I suspect this could be treated a little bit like a No List system except that the Dreams trinity takes the place of the no list, commitment list, and so forth.

I find myself inordinately drawn to Dreams, but I think I struggle to actually use the system. Right now I'm finding AutoFocus easier to use, but I find myself *wanting* to use Dreams more.
November 14, 2021 at 19:28 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Belacqua:

The answer to your question comes in two parts:

1. When I wrote "Dreams" my intention was to do away with to-do lists and the like entirely. And I used nothing other than what is described in the book other than a diary to remind me of dates and appointments.. It worked extremely well, and remained my standard system for quite a long time. But I was conscious that it didn't suit quite a lot of people, who were reluctant to take the plunge, so I turned my attention eventually back to list based systems. As by that stage I was retired I was quite happy to experiment as my livelihood no longer depended on how well my time management system worked!

2. The fact that I didn't use Dreams with any form of to do list doesn't mean that you can't.
November 14, 2021 at 19:59 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Aaron Hsu:

<< in so far as Mark's systems might be considered canonical. >>

Well, I don't regard any of my systems as canonical, so I don't see why anyone else should.

The only thing I ask is that people should try a system as written BEFORE they start making their own changes.
November 14, 2021 at 20:02 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
This thread has got me trying Dreams again. Like AF, I'm hoping that it just takes a little bit for me to really "get my head around it." There really is something unique about the Dreams method that calls to me. Especially this part, which I find resonates especially strongly with me:

Q  You hate the feeling that you ought to be doing things? A  Yes, I want to do things when I want to do them. But I want to want to do things when it’s exactly the right time to do them too.

The one thing that I dislike most in any system is when I get uncomfortable with trying to do one thing because I feel like I'm "missing" something that I really "ought" to be doing more.
November 14, 2021 at 22:26 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark Forster:

<< 1. When I wrote "Dreams" my intention was to do away with to-do lists and the like entirely...

2. The fact that I didn't use Dreams with any form of to do list doesn't mean that you can't. >>

Hi Mark,

Thank you for confirming this.
November 15, 2021 at 0:54 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Every major accomplishment in my life started out with an insatiable mental itch. Most of the beginnings were experienced the same... a desire for something, but lacking the confidence/belief that I could achieve the thing that I was seeking. And in every case, it came to fruition.

A few years ago, I read Mark's Dreams, and tried implementing the "system". I remember enjoying the process very much. Perhaps it didn't stick because I already trusted my subconscious (or some sort of internal focusing mechanism) to guide me where I wanted to go.

Curious to hear where some of you take this.
November 15, 2021 at 13:03 | Registered Commenteravrum
Mark Forster:

<< Well, I don't regard any of my systems as canonical, so I don't see why anyone else should.

The only thing I ask is that people should try a system as written BEFORE they start making their own changes. >>

Personally, I always stick to the systems as written. For me, it's just easier and better that way.

My hunch is that if one wants to do "Dreams," one should probably stick to the spirit of the original as well (so, no long lists, etc.).

But since "Dreams" seems fairly elastic, I was curious about variations in this case--that's why I asked.
November 15, 2021 at 16:48 | Unregistered CommenterBelacqua
Belacqua:

<< But since "Dreams" seems fairly elastic, I was curious about variations in this case >>

If you do "Dreams" it itself will lead you into variations which would be suitable for you.
November 15, 2021 at 19:15 | Registered CommenterMark Forster