To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Retrospective on "Thoughts on the Long List"?

Mark:

You said in a post a while ago:

<<My theory is that a properly handled and practised list removes the need for prioritization, goal-setting, planning and deadline-chasing - real “autofocus” in other words.

It’s not dependent on any particular way of handling the list, though I’ve found simple scanning to be the easiest and most reliable for my own use. It’s more a change of attitude than a new system.>>

You never did get around to writing a book on the topic, but I'm curious, given the years of experience in between, how the above theory has held up and if you have any reflections on this idea as you see it now versus then? Is there something you would change about the theory today, either to be weaker or stronger?
December 3, 2021 at 0:46 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

<< You said in a post a while ago: >>

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2017/6/17/thoughts-on-the-long-list.html.

About four and a half years ago. That probably took me about half an hour to type as I had no feeling in my fingers at the time and had to type visually rather than by touch.

I think I would still agree with every word I said there. The book hasn't yet happened not because I found the principle untrue, but because I couldn't decide which long-list system was best for the purpose.

Changing from one long-list system to another is a serious matter because the dynamic of the list is upset, and basically one has to start from scratch each time. That can be alleviated by sticking to the same list regardless of the system, but for me as the developer that would mean that I couldn't tell which result belongs to which system. So I have to start with a new list every time.

Currently though I have decided to push "Simple Scanning" as far as it will go. I wrote the following little note to myself, which I think i may have posted already somewhere recently. Whether I have or haven't it bears repeating:

- Reasons why I should not give up on Simple Scanning even if I get bored and oppressed by it:
- Any system would be better than constant chopping and changing.
- It is no worse than any other system.
- It is very comprehensive and very powerful
- It's simple
- It just about does the work for you.
- Stick something on your list and it gets done. No worries.
- If you change to something else, you have to start again from scratch.
- No miraculous system is going to suddenly appear in your life. Success in your life and work will be from consistent and regular application of one system. It might just as well be this one.
- There is no need to get bored - just concentrate on the results - they won't be boring!
- There is no need to get oppressed - the system will sort it all out for you regardless of the length of the list
- In short, trust the system!
December 3, 2021 at 10:48 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I am very much looking forward to your thoughts on Simple Scanning after you feel you have pushed it as far as it will go!
December 3, 2021 at 19:11 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
An interesting retrospective. And thank you for these additional thoughts, Mark. If this isn't a good argument for using Simple Scanning, I don't know what is. (What you say here is true in my experience of using that system.)

Also, personally, I find this attitude of "stick to one system," "the best system is the one you can stick to," etc. helpful and reassuring.

For now, I'm continuing with Dreams (though I suppose it's too early to tell whether this will be long-term).

Anyway, it's good to remember when any system has already proven itself and to recognize that it could be used for long periods again.
December 3, 2021 at 19:30 | Registered CommenterBelacqua