To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Recognizing change as standing out

There's something I've noticed that comes along with the sense of readiness when trying to use Standing Out: recognizing change. When I'm scanning through my list, I'll get comfortable with some items on the list, to the point that I am sometimes tempted to simply skip over them quickly. However, if I let myself linger just enough, I can tune into a sensation that is a little more nuanced than just "standing out"; I recognize that things are "changing" on a given item. There's a sense that what was true about something is no longer true, and I can feel that change occurring as I revisit and item until eventually, I can recognize that it has change enough to stand out as ready to be done.
December 10, 2021 at 1:08 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Yes, that's in fact a good description of how it works. The "feel" one gets from a task changes slightly every time one looks at it. As you say it's important to actually experience that with each task, if only for a split second, rather than to skim over it.
December 12, 2021 at 18:25 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark Forster:

< The "feel" one gets from a task changes slightly every time one looks at it... it's important to actually experience that with each task, if only for a split second, rather than to skim over it. >

I take it, then, that you are not in favor of jumping between tasks in Simple Scanning? I admit I did that quite a lot when I used that system. Simple Scanning seems to permit that because: 1. The system is so unconstrained rules-wise, and 2. You become so familiar with the list that you have it quasi-memorized (you don't need to do a full scan every time).

What I would do sometimes is skip to a task without a full scan if I was sure that's what I wanted to do next.

Advantages of this are: 1. Good for urgent tasks/rapid processing/chopping and changing 2. Perhaps (?) cuts down on the feeling of "boredom" you have elsewhere expressed (going round and round the list scanning every task).

The disadvantages could be multiple. In any case, obviously you wouldn't want to skip over/neglect tasks too much.

I would be curious to hear your take on this. Perhaps I was doing things wrong.
December 19, 2021 at 16:47 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
Belacqua:

<< What I would do sometimes is skip to a task without a full scan if I was sure that's what I wanted to do next. >>

Well, I'd be lying if I said I had never done that myself. And in certain circumstance where you need to act fast it's the only sensible thing to do. It falls under the rule "If something needs doing now, do it now".

On the other hand, the purpose of scanning is to expose tasks to your mental processing. If you are so familiar with your list that you have it quasi-memorized, you may no longer be evaluating those tasks, and that can mean that your mental image of them is not going to change in any way.

I find that certain tasks get "stuck" and the only way I can move them is to consciously evaluate them.
December 22, 2021 at 15:49 | Registered CommenterMark Forster