To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What is my next move?

I’m new to Mark’s methods and am looking for advice on how to keep moving on my time management journey. I first created a long list of to do items. I tried autofocus by working from a single page looking for things that I feel are ready to be done, but I noticed that I felt a fair amount of anxiety that I might be missing something important on the other pages. So, I moved to simple scanning and now look through the entire list for things that stand out and then I apply the little and often approach. This has been so much more helpful than my previous method of continuously adding things to a master to do list (which I avoided looking at) and choosing what I wanted to do for each day. However, what I am finding is that I experience anxiety when I think about looking through my list every time I have open time, which can make me avoid looking at it. I also find that I struggle to hold in mind what was important from the beginning of the list by the time I get to the end of the list. I realize that I am supposed to avoid prioritizing with simple scanning, but I feel like I need a reasonable list of things to work on for the day so that I don’t have to go through my master list each time. Would using the 5/2 method be an appropriate thing to derive each day from my master list, or should I be thinking about this differently?
January 17, 2022 at 21:36 | Unregistered CommenterEric Larson
Eric:

What I suggest with your long list is that you scan through it and select (by dotting) about five tasks that you want to do now. Then do them in order. When you have done all of them, select another five (or so) and do them. Keep repeating this. It's good to spread the selections throughout the list, then you won't get bogged down in one part of it.
January 17, 2022 at 21:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster