To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > What system have you stuck with the longest?

As the title describes, I'm wondering what system people have managed to stick with for the longest period of time. Which system, and for how long?

I guess I'm interested in seeing which systems are the most "sustainable" over the long-term, recognizing that different situations can call for different systems.
February 2, 2022 at 3:27 | Unregistered CommenterCharles
For me, I think probably Bullet Journaling and GTD. It's been so long, I don't know which ones I used longer or more successfully (not necessarily the same thing).

For a very long time I worked off of a calendar and my own todo lists ranked by priority/importance a la Randy Pausch? I'm not sure it was a system though, as I was constantly adjusting things, so I think it was really a progressive set of systems that were all oriented around the same basic principle.

I don't know if I've been able to stick to a single system for an entire year at a time, and I'm not sure I want to go through the archives to find out. I have managed to use a few systems for months at a time. That would include Brendon Burchard's approach to time blocking and journaling in his HPX Planner.

In fact, together with GTD and BuJo, Burchard's HPX planner system might be one of the ones I've used the longest at a stretch. I have to admit, though, that I'm not sure the time blocking was effective for me.
February 2, 2022 at 4:17 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
In a pure vanilla sense? I only make it a couple of days before I start mix and matching with other systems. In a general framework sense I've been making a long list of items and using various algorithms to pick the next thing to do for years now. I suspect in the end it most resembles Simple Scanning the most.

The most important thing for me is to get it on the list and out of the head.
February 2, 2022 at 18:11 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
Since 2019, I have been more/less using the same system. Goes something like this:

Hard landscape (Client appts): Calendar (Mac)
Time specific tasks: Reminders (iPhone/Apple Watch)

iPad mini/Apple Pencil:

1. Scatter Map (M. Forster idea) evening and morning
2. Throughout the day, quickly capture (1-2 words) what I've done, or about to do
3. Evening - transcribe #1 & #2 into text, paste into my journal (Pages document)
4. Craft a daily narrative based on the raw text.
5. Weekly Review/Narrative: Read over daily entries (add footnotes to sentences that require an update, a new thought, etc). Update project list with things to consider for next week

On Dec 31, I convert the Pages document into a PDF and have it printed at LuLu.

I don't use any lists re: Someday/Maybe, Master List, etc.
February 2, 2022 at 19:15 | Registered Commenteravrum
Either the no list system 5/2 from the "Secrets" book in a nice paper notebook or a digital implementation of DWM in OmniOutliner.

(I did some scripting which did two things. It deleted the tasks ready for dismissal automatically and it colored tasks that approached that deadline. I can't remember how exactly that worked, it's years past.)

Other than that everything based on the FVP algorithm seems to stick around.
February 2, 2022 at 21:04 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Simple Scanning still holds the record for me. I believe I went over a year straight at one point.

I think the relative lack of rules/constraints was one reason why I was able to continue with it.
February 3, 2022 at 14:12 | Registered CommenterBelacqua
My own system (which I call the 1-2-3-4 System) I've stuck with for almost a year now. Before that my record was maybe a month with FVP.
February 13, 2022 at 22:08 | Unregistered CommenterLisa F
Lisa, could you elaborate on your 1-2-3-4 system?
February 15, 2022 at 9:39 | Unregistered CommenterCharles