To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Book that advocates a no-list method

I recently borrowed a book from the library entitled "The More You Do The Better You Feel" by David Parker. Starting on page 130, it advocates a method called "The J.O.T. Method", which stands for "Just One Task".
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0742P8J21/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i0

The method is: put today's date at the top of a page, write one task, do it, and put a line through it.
Write another task, do it, put a line through it, etc.
This is what is called here on this forum a no-list method.

http://www.facebook.com/bhphoto/videos/the-more-you-do-the-better-you-feel-how-to-overcome-procrastination-and-live-a-h/507540633387949/

an explanation starts at 12 minutes.

If you write a task, but not doable, put a wavy line through it, and break it down to a doable task, and write that down and do it.
On page 183, the author recommends counting the number of tasks completed.
For larger projects, the author recommends scheduling a time period and working only on that project for that time.
The author does not recommend a to-do list.
There is a little more explanation of the method, but not much.
The rest of the book has standard advice on procrastination and depression.

I have tried this type of no-list before, and I tend to get stymied after a few minutes. I more often write a few items, no more than a page of tasks, to do in the next hour or so, and select.
I think it is better to have a few methods to draw from, in case one gets stuck.
March 26, 2022 at 2:36 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I am trying this method right now. I think too much of one method that uses the same mental process repeatedly gets exhausting after a while.
This method seems to be identical to the Simplest Method of No-List found on the list of No-list systems.
March 26, 2022 at 2:41 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
In the video, the author admits to writing an errands list or a grocery list.
March 26, 2022 at 2:43 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I have completed 25 items in about 4 hours using this method, which I think is about the same as the simplest no-list method.
On the positive side, all the items are completed. However, after every task, I have to think what to do next, which takes some mental effort which is repeated each time. I think it is easier to take a minute or two or three to think up 25 items, and then have the option of which to do in what order, perhaps using FVP, and the choice is likely to turn out better. There is more freedom this way and less stress.
This method is a good one to get one started or as an alternative for variety, but I wonder how effective it is as the basic method day in and day out.
March 26, 2022 at 3:21 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Mark H.

<< This method is a good one to get one started or as an alternative for variety, but I wonder how effective it is as the basic method day in and day out. >>

There's nothing new about this method. I've written about it many times over the years, and I can't imagine that I'm the first person who's thought of something so simple.
March 26, 2022 at 13:43 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
There was a long period where I enjoyed using Seraphim's Serial No-list, which was basically a fresh list generated daily and worked. As Mark had previously noted with no-lists, the most important things tended to bubble up anyway, routines developed on their own, and if I finished a day's work, then I could back to previous pages to review unactioned tasks. Each page had enough space for stray notes, jottings, etc.

It was a great pen and paper method and I may go back to it after I'm done with the Lenten challenge. (Still using Teux Deux as my electronic daily listmaker and still liking it for all the conveniences that digital offers, though I do miss paper and pen.)
March 28, 2022 at 15:44 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
I have worked with this no-list method some more now, one task at a time. I think it is good for warming up or when there is nothing urgent, or when low on energy.
I have better success with a short list of a few items, not more than a page. It doesn't take any more brain power to generate a list at one time, and I find that rethinking each time what to do next takes more brain power. I am mentally thinking of options anyway, and it is easier to look at a short written list and choose.
The author was saying that a long to-do list can be demotivating and lead to procrastination.
However, having to write one task at a time over a long period (it sounds like this the basic method for the author) - a short list gives one the freedom that one has options. Only one task after a while feels restrictive, and can cause stress.
The author does give an example where he rotates between tasks, so perhaps he doesn't always follow it.
March 28, 2022 at 18:26 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.