To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How would *you* judge between systems?

I've recently found myself annoyed at a thought, that pretty much all time-management or organization systems more or less work, to some degree. Each might feel a little different, but there's something to enjoy in them all.

Moreover, because life is complex, it can be very hard to tease out just what makes one of them better than another. How much is a matter of other things in your life that were independent of the time management system and how much of what happened was the result of the time management system?

So, I ask you, when you're trying to judge between systems, or looking back at systems in the past, how would you choose to evaluate a system as objectively as possible? What is the criteria you would look for?

Right now I'm toying with trying to evaluate my past experiences on the basis of how well a system was able to deliver three things:

1. Consistent progress towards meaningful things that improved my overall life and future.
2. Consistent flow state.
3. Incremental and pre-emptive accomplishment of small things that prevented or tackled big things or work in the future. In other words, how well was the system able to make my future easier by tackling things in the present in a way that felt small and trivial? Another way of putting it might be how well it was able to capitalize on small and accessible opportunities today that compounded into the future?

Maybe these could be termed Consistency, Flow, and Leverage?

One problem I have is figuring out how to judge or measure such features.

So how would you do it?
April 15, 2022 at 10:17 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron Hsu:

Funnily enough I've been thinking about the same questions and my conclusions are similar though not identical to yours. I'm planning to write a blog post in the near future.
April 15, 2022 at 11:44 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Aaron

<<how would you choose to evaluate a system as objectively as possible? What is the criteria you would look for? >>

One criteria: Did the productivity workflow help me do the thing (habit, goal) I set out to do. I don't get too hung up on the objectivity part - it's too complex.

In 2001, I received a very large grant from Universal Music Canada to implement a recording studio for at-risk youth. I was overwhelmed with the task. A friend suggested I read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.

Every Friday, before the Jewish Sabbath, I would go to a Blenz Coffee shop (Vancouver), order a Mochachillo and read the book. Then I would fire up PlanPlus in Outlook, review my Mission Statement and Values and create my Weekly Plan. I taught Habits 1, 2, 3 & 7 to my staff. The project was a wild success**. I do not believe the Weekly Plan, Mission Statement had much to do with the outcome. But the overall philosophy of the book - much of it based on Logotherapy - changed my thinking from reactive --> proactive.

Emotionally, I'm still wedded to Covey and Merill's ideas (First Things First). So much so, I'm rereading First Things First right now :)

** The project was feature on a local tv station: https://youtu.be/q4PQf-GYwZw
April 15, 2022 at 13:36 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

Fascinating video.
April 15, 2022 at 17:54 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
A good sign is how long one has stuck with the system, and how much one has accomplished.
There are practical, logistical reasons that differ from one individual to another, that might make more of difference than the actual superiority of the system.

I have tried many software programs, but the only one I stuck with for many years is EccoPro. I liked that I could design folders, windows, tailor-make everything. But it always got too complicated. I liked that I could plan projects, and subdivide the projects, but then had trouble finding the next action within the nested project plan. It worked better as an outliner, or to store and retrieve information than as a way to get things done. Also, it needed to be used on a computer, and it wasn't always handy or accessible when I wanted.

I used Moleskine notebooks for several years. They were portable and smaller than a computer, and I could write in them anywhere, but at $20 they were getting expensive. I have been using composition books for several years. I need something that is light in weight, that I can take anywhere. They are cheap, a dollar or two, and don't mind them getting beat up, all my notes are in one place in chronological order, I can write large in them, and I can start over again with a new one. I go through about one a month. They do take up space eventually, so I haven't figured out what to do with the more recent ones.

I have tried writing on a separate page, and putting them in a folders, but organizing them and referring to them became a hassle. Same thing with putting them in a 3-ring binder.

There are systems that intellectually I think are superior, but I have not been able to keep with it. GTD comes to mind. I think everything is covered. Also systems with a lot of goal setting and project planning, forward planning, analysis of one's roles, and areas of life. They all seem superior, and I believe there are people that do it, and succeed. I don't think any of these have a good flow, but would have better consistency and leverage.

The one thing about the long list systems that I don't like is decision fatigue and task switching and overwhelm. There might be work-arounds for these. One can get a good flow for about a month before the list gets too big that it bogs down. The short list methods have the best flow.

So perhaps I would put some weight on the ease of use and practicality of the system for the situation as well. Does one enjoy using the system? One negative factor for some software programs is it seems more like work than work itself. If one's work is on computer, putting one's personal life on computer begins to feel like a drag, especially if it resembles a spreadsheet or database, with fields,and folders, etc. It feels like one's life is run by a computer.
April 15, 2022 at 18:23 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
<<avrum: Fascinating video. >>

Thank you Mark.
April 15, 2022 at 19:52 | Registered Commenteravrum
The objective measure is simple “do I get more value by using it than otherwise?”. But the subjective factor matters more: Will I stick with it? In most cases, the answer to the second question tends to be No, and therefore the first question is mostly irrelevant.

“Will I stick with it?” comes down to a large variety of personal factors:

Simple, elegant, not tedious or boring, easy to keep up with, convenient form-factor, feeling complete, feeling in control, not full of busywork, getting the big stuff done, not neglecting the little stuff, not missing important details, and fail-proof against occasionally feeling lazy.
April 15, 2022 at 23:51 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

To which I'd add:

Responsive to changes of circumstances
Capable of dealing with personal, business and leisure activities at the same time
Dealing with different degrees of urgency
April 16, 2022 at 12:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Not sure I have a fully fleshed out thought here (and someone's probably expressed it on these boards somewhere before) but:

Productivity systems are like diets: follow a diet to the letter, and you will lose weight. Follow any time management methodology to the letter, and you will be "productive" for whatever definition of productive you decide on.

But sticking to the diet and then eventually moving to an eating plan that you can live with for years, that you will stick with and enjoy, that's what makes adoption a success. Having gone through many diet plans and regimes, I find myself changing eating strategies based on the day or week, how I'm feeling, my current weight, exercise frequency, weather, social plans, etc. My personal indicators of diet success are the scale and how tightly my belt fits.

And with productivity systems: so many prescriptions, so much advice. There is no one-size fits all solution for productivity (a human concept to describe human-created conundrums that don't exist in nature).

I suppose my key personal subjective indicator is one of Mark's self-questions: do I feel I am on top of things? I can give myself a 1-10 answer on that and gauge how I'm doing.

And depending on the day, the level of commitments, obligations to others, need for rest, urgency of tasks, free time during the day, etc. I will switch up systems and methods as I feel I need to. I think there are good basic habits and skills that can help make life easier, but you kind of have to come to them on your own.

Stephen Fry wrote in an essay somewhere about "idea-shaped" vs "human-shaped" solutions. Prescriptive diets/methods are "idea-shaped"; they *should* work but don't take human messiness into account. We have to massage those ideas into a Mike-shape or Mark-shape or Avrum-shape for them to be a real success.
April 16, 2022 at 17:08 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Bingo. I need an Alan shaped system.
April 17, 2022 at 1:55 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Mark:

<<Funnily enough I've been thinking about the same questions and my conclusions are similar though not identical to yours. I'm planning to write a blog post in the near future.>>

I'm looking forward to the blog post. :-)
April 17, 2022 at 3:21 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Over the years I have become more self vs system focused when it comes to time management. Time management is a set of skills, techniques, and character traits or values that I am cultivating to be more effective. I use miscellaneous systems to help me keep track of what I need to do and manage it more effectively, but I’m careful to remember that it is me doing the work. And over time I’ve learned that when I am unproductive, it is often psychological factors or factors in the work itself that need improvement and not my methods of keeping track of and prioritizing work.

There are a few fundamental principles of time management that don’t really change, and a few types of system that fit people’s person style of harnessing those principles.

I have a handful of systems for different areas of life: a way of managing email, a simple to do setup in Todoist, a workout routine, a diet method, etc. When I find something low maintenance that works, I keep it. If something isn’t working, I change it.
April 17, 2022 at 19:25 | Unregistered CommenterAustin