To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Habits as Rituals

Inspired by a podcast on Rituals at work with Erica Keswin https://art19.com/shows/how-to-be-awesome-at-your-job

Rituals are practices done at a regular time following a specific form, and the form is not practical but is often meaningful. Its most often seen in religious or spiritual contexts. The podcast was about using them in a work context to build connections among employees. But re-read the above explanation of ritual. There doesn’t have to be anything religious about it. It’s the repetition of form that’s the key. You will see such often in military contexts. And it doesn’t have to be super elaborate, but could be very simple.

I was inspired to think of habits formation via rituals. The thing about rituals is they exist to establish a practice and something that lasts for a very long time. I think the way they are is designed to help people remember to practice them. The Rosary is an solo ritual of this sort.

So then the question arises how this idea can be used to improve our own habit development. Ritual is a way of focusing the mind to help remember and get into the spirit. It could prepare you to work more effectively for example. It could get you into exercise more reliably. By making a new habit very precise and methodical; by including memorable elements (music, recitation, lights, scents, movements); by attaching emotions to them. Other ideas?
April 25, 2022 at 15:15 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I am not sure this fits the bill Alan, but I have my gym clothes looked out in a box thing in the bathroom. As soon as I get up, I see them ! Then I know its time to put them on. That is now a deeply engrained habit and a ritual of sorts. And once I have dressed for exercise, well, I tend to do it. However I am not a machine, and there are times the dressing gown is the only thing I am capable of putting on esp in dead of winter, but I still can do a 10 min workout in PJ;s later , surely we have 10 minutes? , and I still get my tick for the day. I also buy myself a small "present" at month end, for doing my exercises if not daily then very very frequently. I don't set the bar at 100%, and I still get my reward, so its a win. I know I would probably have bought the month end thing anyway - but somehow attaching it to the month of exercise and calling it an exercise reward, changed the way I look at it and makes me proud of my efforts! For me, the memorable element is the SIGHT of the box first thing in the morning.
April 25, 2022 at 18:50 | Unregistered CommenterMrs Move Forward
I'm a huge ran of ritual. This is actually one of the things perhaps causing me the most issue with my playing around with Mark's long list systems (NQ-FVP at the moment). A lot of rituals incorporate a sense of order, timing, and environment to them. You don't just "go to church whenever", but you have a specific time and place where you go, and it's the same as everyone else. Same for many classic rituals, like formal meals, tea time, theatre, and so forth. There is a flow and order to such things.

The issue I have with habit formation and routines in long lists right now is asking myself why it would be better for me to have potentially too much flexibility to do them whenever, when maybe the right thing is to ritualize them so that each thing I might want to habitualize not only is done every day or whatever, but is also done always in the same order, surrounded by the same other activities. Once you get this to a certain point, you have a scheduled routine for the whole day.

If you combine this with something like, say, Eat the Frog habits, then you're also doing your main project in a ritualized manner. Then you maybe batch a bunch of other non-routine thing that are almost always administration stuff. In that case, you've ritualized the processing of trivia to a specific time and place, and probably with a specific environment as well. At that point, what's the point of scanning through a list in some order? You've got the list, and you just go from top to bottom in the ordered ritual that you've created for your entire day.

Even interruptions might be able to have their due in such a system.

I see this as maybe slightly different than time blocking, since the point to me isn't how much time is spent, but the ritualized order in which things are done. Assuming that you get progressively more and more control over your habits, environment, and so forth, is that order really going to change so much from day to day that you have to recreate it from scratch every day?
April 26, 2022 at 8:16 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
A very interesting subject.

Confucius thought that ritual was the basis of all morality and good order in the Kingdom.

"First there must be order and harmony within your own mind. Then this order will spread to your family. Then to the community and finally to your entire Kingdom. Only then can you have peace and harmony."

The question of long list and ritual has been raised by Aaron. In fact my own experience is that a long list produces ritual. You do things in a certain order. Those things are re-entered in the order in which you did them, and gradually they come together more and more until you have order and harmony within your own mind.

As a former Army man, I know that the Army ritualises just about everything. They call it "drill" but it's the same thing. One would think that would lead to rigid thinking, but it does just the opposite. Because you don't have to think about how to do this and what order to do that, you can concentrate on the real thinking necessary. As von Moltke said "No plan survives the first contact with the enemy." And as Anon said "If the enemy has two courses of action open to him, he will always take the third."

Famously Martin Luther is supposed to have started the Reformation because he got so far behind with his ritual (and compulsory) saying of the Breviary that he could never catch up.
April 26, 2022 at 12:53 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I think in the Power of Full Engagement, which is about energy mgmt as time mgmt, Tony Schwartz talks about the importance of transitions. He gave the example of stopping in a park on his way home from work, so he could use that time of quiet and green as a transition between workplace and home. So rituals can also mark a transition from one frame of reference (city street) to another (walking into a cathedral).

One could even see the 5-minute break of a Pomodoro as the invitation to create a ritual of relaxing the work-mind and expanding one's perspective from tight focus on a task to a wider view of the landscape.
April 26, 2022 at 14:56 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
A hunch... other than the religiously observant - specifically, I'm thinking about Orthodox Jews - the lack of daily rituals creates an internal vacuousness and anxiety for many people. Minutes bleed into hours, hours bleed into days. Humans appear to have a deep need to mark time.

I suspect that most of the secular approaches to filling this vacuum - while appealing - will not provide a sustainable scratch to this existential itch.
April 26, 2022 at 18:12 | Registered Commenteravrum
While it's likely true that secular approaches to filling the vacuum may fail, that doesn't mean a good ritual can't be useful. From the original author's citation of Chipotle having a team meal together before service starts, to my morning private worship, walk and orientation practice, I think these do far better than ad-hoc do whatever. They neither preclude nor supplant more formal religious practice, and if we aren't steeped in Orthodoxy I think we could do well to add more such time markers into our life.
April 26, 2022 at 21:07 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan:

I agree with you - good rituals serve a need and a purpose. My comment above was more of an observation than a prescription.
April 26, 2022 at 21:45 | Registered Commenteravrum
Returning to my original inquiry. How this idea can be used to improve our own habit development? What could change to the way a habit might be defined or built up that would make it more sticky or powerful because of the change?
April 28, 2022 at 23:00 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Concrete triggers, limited choice in the execution, and perhaps (not with everything) concrete rewards. Then a habit becomes more sticky and certainly more powerful, imo. You want to take out the thinking, almost mechanise it.
April 30, 2022 at 8:42 | Unregistered CommenterMrs Move Forward
Alan:

As for how ritual can be used as a mechanism to improve habits, I think there are a few things to leverage here. First, I'd say that you want to make things *very* concrete, actionable, and specific. You do the thing in just such and such a way, every time. As an example of a non-religious (kind of) ritual, look at the various tea ceremonies throughout the world, but especially the Japanese one or the Chinese "Gong Fu Cha".

Then, think order and isolation. The ritualistic element means that you are either doing the ritual, or you are not, and you're not doing anything else while the ritual is ongoing. You isolate yourself, your mind, and your space to that specific thing and only that thing. You establish a physical environment, mental environment, and specific order (routine/schedule) to the thing. The important thing is that is doesn't "happen when you feel like it" but rather, you do it because it's time to do it.

I think the overarching principle here is taking away as many elements of choice as possible. Then, ideally, as with real rituals that have stood the test of time, you don't just insert the ritual anywhere, but you surround the core of the ritual with preparatory and closing rituals that enter into the main ritual and out of it. Then you practice it, over and over again, precisely the same way each time. And even if you struggle to do it at all, you don't accept anything other than doing the thing for at least some amount of time. The analogy here is that you may not always be fully invested in whatever practice you're doing, but you don't just leave. You stay and do the thing for the amount you have set out to do it, even if you mostly do it poorly.

I'd say that would be my approach to it. I might also try to recruit other people to do the ritual with me, depending on what the ritual was, or someone with whom you can have accountability.
May 1, 2022 at 3:49 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron : -

Oh I totally agree . Bingo Aaron.

You dont just take out the thinking. You take out the FEELING TOO.

It cannot "happen when you feel like it", as A said, you must do it irrespective of your thoughts and feelings. It doesnt matter if you cant be bothered, or would like to do something else, or all of that. It gets done no matter what you think or feel. We can be very ill-advised by listening to our feelings all the time (not for everything, you understand of course !!! but for some core choices you commit to). Or at least I know I would be. I can be blown off course at a moments notice (bad me! failings!)

I commit to x, therefore I will do it, and I **just dont care** how I feel about that, either before, or during. Afterwards is a different matter. How you feel about it in the rear view mirror can be very helpful. Will I continue to do x? Will I modify it ? How often will I continue to do x?
May 1, 2022 at 18:08 | Unregistered CommenterMrs Move Forward
Aaron:

<<I might also try to recruit other people to do the ritual>>

Indispensable, imo. There are certain emotional/cognitive dispositions that lend themselves to following rules, discipline, etc. If you're not naturally oriented this way (Hello me) you can nudge yourself in that direction. But one can only go so far. The magic sauce of group rituals - support, fun, bonding, shame (if you don't show up) - is key.
May 1, 2022 at 19:17 | Registered Commenteravrum
Excellent food for me thank you, Aaron Mrs Move and avrum.
May 1, 2022 at 20:46 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
There are plenty of exernal rituals which can be used in conjunction with time management, but time management itself (or some methods of it) is ritual producing.

The best TM system I know for producing ritual is the one known as "Spinning Plates". For those who don't know it, you start with two tasks, work on both in turn, then add one more task and work on all three in turn and so on throughout the day.

Something like this:

Email x x x x x x
Paper x x x x x x
Blogs - x x x x x
Project Y -x x x x
Sort Office - x x x
Exercise -------x x
Tidy Desk -------x
etc.

At the end of the day you throw the list away, and start with a new blank page the next day. It only takes a few days for the list to become "ritualised", i.e. many of the tasks tend to be the same ones and tend to get entered in the same order. This naturally produces many of the advantages of ritual as discussed in this Topic. One of the chief advantages being greatly reduced distractions and a feeling of being carried along by the system.

Like any good ritual it is flexible and can adapt to changing circumstances.
May 1, 2022 at 21:45 | Registered CommenterMark Forster