To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Bookmarklet to fix this site's layout

You can use the following code as the URL for a bookmarklet to move the main content out of the sidebar and back to the main content area:

javascript:(()=>{document.getElementById('pageBody').insertAdjacentElement('afterbegin',document.getElementById('contentWrapper'))})()
October 13, 2022 at 5:43 | Registered CommenterUmbrellaWeather
Works for me! In case someone doesn't know how to create a bookmarklet:

Create a bookmark, but before you save it, edit the name and url. The name can be anything like "fix markforster". Change the URL to the the entire code above starting with javascript and ending with () It's all one line.

When you're on a page on this site, just select that bookmark and it'll adjust the layout of the site.
October 13, 2022 at 17:46 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Also, you have to click it for every page you load on the site so if you put the bookmark on the bookmarks bar for quick access, it'll make it a lot more useful because it's quicker to get to.
October 13, 2022 at 17:48 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Thanks! This works for me, too. Makes it much easier to read the site.
October 14, 2022 at 16:59 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Thank you so much!!!!
October 15, 2022 at 14:37 | Unregistered CommenterLenore
Thanks!
Never heard of a "bookmarklet" before.
October 16, 2022 at 9:22 | Unregistered CommenterVirix
Got it to work in Safari on my phone. Open the page then press the bookmark.
Wish someone could work with Squarespace to really fix the site. There is so much good content built up over the years.
October 17, 2022 at 18:47 | Unregistered CommenterErin
Squarespace is a host that provides website making tools. It's generally up to the individual to update the site using these tools.
October 18, 2022 at 16:27 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Clearly I'm missing something...

I've been using Squarespace since 2009. If my entire site went wonky, I'd be on w/ support and it would get resolved in 15 min. SS support is generally fantastic. So I'm unclear on how this problem on Forster's site has continued for so long.

Also, I've noticed that Mark hasn't been responding for the past few days (weeks?). I hope he's ok.
October 18, 2022 at 18:03 | Registered Commenteravrum
He posted as recently as Oct 3 in the forum, and Oct 5 is the first mention of the centering problem.
October 19, 2022 at 1:39 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
I asked Mark via email about it, he's well, and he will fix the site, but it's not a priority for him right now.
October 19, 2022 at 10:46 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
UmbrellaWeather: I added the code of your bookmarklet to the userscript, so people who use it can use the site normally without manual action after every page load:

http://github.com/andreasmaurer/markforster.net-improvements-userscript

Hope that's okay.
October 19, 2022 at 11:53 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
<<I asked Mark via email about it, he's well, and he will fix the site, but it's not a priority for him right now.>>

Andreas - I appreciate the update.
October 19, 2022 at 13:24 | Registered Commenteravrum
Andreas, that seems to have worked. Thankyou.
October 26, 2022 at 16:46 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
I've made Andreas's solution work on my laptop (Windows / Firefox), but I'm not quite there with my phone (Android 9 / Chrome 107).

* I've installed TamperMonkey for Android from the Chrome Store.
* I went to the site linked in Andreas's github instructions:

https://github.com/andreasmaurer/markforster.net-improvements-userscript/raw/master/markforster-net-improvements.user.js

* The script was displayed, but TamperMonkey didn't ask me to install it.
* I've tried copying and pasting the code into the box on the TamperMonkey page that appears when you click the menu instruction "Get new scripts ... "
* I've hit Run! but nothing happens.
* When I click on other menu commands, TamperMonkey says that no script is installed or running.

Can anyone give me any guidance?
November 4, 2022 at 8:13 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper
Additional issue: The Login link directs to markforster.net. This should be edited to point to squarespace.
November 22, 2022 at 15:52 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan:

I updated my userscript, it now automatically updates all links that still have the old domain. It should update by itself, or you can update it manually by clicking its version number on the Tampermonkey dashboard.

Chris:

I don't have Android, but from what I gather, userscript support is in a bad state right now. Chrome hasn't been supporting Tampermonkey for a long time, Firefox used to work, but stopped doing so. There is a standalone Tampermonkey app on the Play Store, but that was always experimental and recent reviews indicate that it also stopped working with recent Android versions.

Your best bet might be trying out Dolphin Browser, apparently the Tampermonkey extension for that is still being maintained.
November 23, 2022 at 13:08 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
Actually, the latest reviews of the Tampermonkey Dolphin extension also say it stopped working with the new Android version. So there might be no solution for now.
November 23, 2022 at 13:14 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
I think tampermonkey is also not available in iPad.

“Stay” userscript manager seems to work with Andreas’ script. Except just now when i went to edit this post, the page flipped to un-fixed
November 26, 2022 at 4:27 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
error message was something like ‘getelement(‘pagebyId’) was null. But then later it went back to working.
November 26, 2022 at 4:44 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan:

I didn't get the problem you described when editing this post with Stay on my iPhone. I'll look into it.
November 27, 2022 at 20:35 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
Heh, immediately got it after posting the last message. But different error message. I'll see what I can do.
November 27, 2022 at 20:36 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
I updated the script, hopefully that will fix the problem. I can only test it by writing posts here, so that is a little inconvenient.

I noticed that in Stay, you need to enable auto update with a toggle in the settings of the script. Current version is 2.0.7.
November 29, 2022 at 7:34 | Unregistered CommenterAndreas Maurer
Website formatting is fixed for me now (on Safari). Not sure who to thank -- presumably some combination of Mark/Squarespace.
December 11, 2022 at 14:59 | Unregistered CommenterLenore
Yippee! Great to see the site back to normal - although I'd gotten quite used to the interim version. Thanks very much.
December 11, 2022 at 18:14 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
To bring you all up-to-date the website has now reverted to normal. I've been chasing Squarespace for a considerable amount of time and they have confessed themselves baffled up to now. It looks as if they have finally sorted out the problem.

Only one problem remains - I can't log in! That means that I can't write any blog posts until that is fixed as well.
December 12, 2022 at 12:46 | Unregistered CommenterMark Forster
It’s good to hear! I was getting the impression you maybe had finally given up activity on this site. It’s weird how SS got messed up like this.
December 16, 2022 at 15:31 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Thanks again, Mark, for your efforts on this.

I've noticed that the description of the systems under the "TM Systems" tab shows the following when you open the links:

"Domain Not Claimed
This domain has been mapped to Squarespace, but it has not yet been claimed by a website. If this is your domain, claim it in the Domains tab of your Website Manager"

I know there's been some discussion of how to get round this, but hopefully Squarespace will get this fixed too, in the fullness of time.

Meanwhile, it's great to have the site back to normal.

Best wishes.
December 17, 2022 at 10:03 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
Andreas, thanks for your reply to me above, which I've only just seen. Everything seems fine now, with TamperMonkey disabled.

And it's great to see Mark back.

Chris
December 17, 2022 at 16:34 | Unregistered CommenterChris Cooper