To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Designing a task management system with ChatGPT just for fun

ChatGPT is a language model AI program that just became available online. One of the things you can do is give it a prompt and it’ll sort of randomly generate some answers based on the most generic information it knows. So I had the idea of trying to get it to create a task management system and it was very typical: categorization, prioritization, tracking, breaking things down, and so on. I added Mark’s criteria for the perfect system and it sorta made some effort to mention the criteria without really changing things that much. Finally I mentioned Mark Forster specifically and it tried to incorporate “Do It Tomorrow” into the advice. Pretty funny. I figured I’d share what it came up with:

Prompt:

Let’s invent a task tracking system on paper. It should rank highly on the following criteria: It would have to be a system into which I could feed everything I have to do, want to do, or should do. Everything would then come out in exactly the right order, allowing for importance, urgency, and desirability. It would respond immediately to changes in circumstances. It would deal equally well with things I want to do, and things I need to do but don’t want to do. It would reduce resistance to a minimum, and have minimum overhead. It would provide both motivation and momentum. In the style of writer Mark Forster.

Answer:

One possible task tracking system on paper in the style of writer Mark Forster is as follows:
1. Create a "Do It Tomorrow" list: Write down all the tasks you need to do, want to do, or should do on a piece of paper, and organize them into different categories. This list should include only the tasks that you plan to do tomorrow, so you can focus on a manageable number of tasks each day.
2. Prioritize your tasks: For each category of tasks, prioritize them based on importance, urgency, and desirability. You can use a simple ranking system, such as assigning each task a number from 1 to 3, with 1 being the most important, urgent, and desirable, and 3 being the least important, urgent, and desirable.
3. Break down larger tasks: If you have any large tasks on your list, break them down into smaller, more manageable steps. This will make it easier for you to track your progress and feel a sense of accomplishment as you complete each step.
4. Work on your tasks in priority order: Start working on your tasks in order of priority, starting with the most important and urgent tasks. As you complete each task, check it off your list or mark it as complete. If you encounter any resistance or difficulty with a task, move on to the next task and come back to the difficult task later.
5. Create a "Do It Now" list: As you work on your tasks, if you come across something that needs to be done immediately, write it down on a separate "Do It Now" list. This list should only include tasks that need to be done right away, such as urgent phone calls or emails.
6. Respond to changes in circumstances: As your circumstances change, adjust your to-do lists and priorities accordingly. For example, if a new project comes up that is more urgent and important than other tasks, move it to the top of your "Do It Tomorrow" list and adjust your deadlines as needed.
By using this system, you can effectively track your tasks and make progress on them while taking into account their importance, urgency, and desirability. This system is based on the principles outlined by Mark Forster in his book "Do It Tomorrow and Other Secrets of Time Management". As with the other systems mentioned, you can modify this system to fit your own needs and preferences.
December 4, 2022 at 15:40 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Pretty funny. I asked it for improvements to Resistance Zero and it came up with the usual generic advice (categorizing, prioritizing, tracking, breaking things down, accountability, adapting to new circumstances), barely addressing the actual system. So I tried again asking it to use points specifically mentioned in the system, and it did. Of course, its advice is still generic and doesn’t really understand the reasoning behind the system.

Prompt:

What are some improvements we can make to the following system, considering things specifically mentioned in the system. [I pasted the Resistance Zero instructions here.]

Answer:

Here are some potential improvements to this system:

Instead of starting at the end of the list, consider starting at the beginning of the list and working your way down. This can help you prioritize tasks and avoid procrastination.
Instead of dotting tasks that you feel zero resistance to, consider ranking tasks based on their level of resistance. This can help you identify tasks that may require additional support or motivation to complete.
Consider incorporating rewards or incentives for completing tasks that are particularly challenging or resistive. This can help you maintain motivation and stay on track.
Consider seeking support or accountability from a friend, colleague, or coach to help you stay on track and overcome any obstacles or resistance you may encounter.
Instead of focusing solely on resistance, consider incorporating other factors into your decision-making process, such as the potential impact of each task on your overall goals or the level of enjoyment you anticipate from each task. This can help you prioritize tasks that align with your values and priorities.

Just for fun:

Prompt:

Explain Resistance Zero in a sonnet. Resistance Zero is the following system: [pasted the instructions here]

Answer:

Resistance Zero, a system to conquer
The foe that holds us back and slows our pace,
A tool to overcome and take control
Of tasks we dread and put off in disgrace.

We start with a list of all we must do,
And scan it quickly, dotting tasks that stir
No resistance in us, tasks we can tackle
Without hesitation, tasks that won't deter

Our progress. Then, starting from the end,
We take action on each task that we've marked,
Repeating steps until resistance falls
And we can move ahead without being stalled.

For zero resistance is the key to success,
A state in which we can achieve our best.
December 4, 2022 at 16:03 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
One last one and then I’ll stop.

Prompt:

Explain the previously mentioned system to a toddler

Answer:

Resistance Zero is a way to help you do the things you need to do, even if you don't want to do them at first. It's like a game you play with yourself. First, you make a list of all the things you have to do. Then, you look at the list and put a dot next to the things that you don't mind doing right away. Finally, you start with the things you put a dot next to and do them. Then you keep playing the game over and over until you've done everything on your list. It's a fun way to get things done!
December 4, 2022 at 16:15 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Well that was fun! LOL
December 4, 2022 at 18:19 | Unregistered CommenterAaron Hsu