To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How's everyone doing in the Lenten challenge?

It seems like everyone is still in the challenge at this point? :-) I think this might be the first time I've seen such dedication!
February 28, 2023 at 6:52 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Things are going swimmingly so far.
March 1, 2023 at 21:13 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I guess the traffic level here of late is too low for people to throw in status reports. If you're curious, mine would currently be:

“If this resistance I am feeling to doing Mark's ‘Dreams’ exercises is in fact my mind giving me a strong message, what would that message be?”

;-)
March 2, 2023 at 3:07 | Registered CommenterDavid
I have to admit that I have both failed to keep to my chosen system and failed to admit to the fact. The reason for my failure is the same one as always. Ideas for new systems have been buzzing around in my head, and I've wanted to try them out.
March 2, 2023 at 10:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Hi Mark, I'm amazed at how productive you are in testing out new systems!

I've been getting on OK with Serial No-List since the start of the challenge. I like having a "fresh start" every day, while having the reassurance that everything is captured in previous pages. I was away for 4 days on a break, and every task on my list was an enjoyable one - back to more varied tasks today!
March 4, 2023 at 11:24 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
Almost cleared my first 4 pages (on a good day around 20 tasks cleared/day) then ran into a very busy time at work last week. Back to my lists this weekend and focusing on clearing those older pages using L&O.
March 4, 2023 at 14:46 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
Still sticking with Gerry's Ultra Simple Guide to TM for now. I am finding myself flipping through lots of pages, but it is nice to leave the dayjob page behind when it's time to focus on other areas. And his instructions allow me to use a page for no-list or a quick scheduling of my day, so i get to use the thinking tools i like in addition to the lists.

Still early days though.
March 4, 2023 at 14:51 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Well, poop. I fell off the simple scanning wagon and have returned to the straight random method. I loved it initially, but the simple scanning list got too long and too "heavy" (it built up resistance to the list and everything on it). When I started using random again, I noticed I was doing so many incredible things that were important but not urgent. I even did my taxes. The problem with random has always been deadlines, so I have created a set of 7 principles I will try and follow for the random method. Some of these were inspired loosely by Paul Loomans' "Time surfing." (Which I love, by the way):

1. Enter anything on the list that needs to be done, knowing that it will be worked on
2. Run the randomizer according to Mark's randomizer system and work on the chosen task. The task does not have to be completed; working "little and often" is best.
3. Take short breaks before running the randomizer again. (Loomans)
4. Give full attention to unscheduled interruptions and urgencies. Life happens. (Loomans)
5. If necessary, work on deadlines for one hour the day before the deadline. If they are on the list, cross them off as done when completed and/or reenter them if they are recurring tasks, as per the randomizer rules.
6. Use a trusted system to track files and notes and some daily record of events or journal. I use Obsidian because of its internal links. Evernote works for some as well, or daylite. or whatever. You may hit on a task and have no idea why it's there or what you were thinking. A simple search in my files usually clarifies it for me. That search, if necessary, is part of doing the task. This is important because the randomizer method tends to add tremendous focus - I have no idea what's on the rest of the list when I'm working randomly. I could care less at the moment, which is fantastic for focus, but I might easily forget why a task is on there once I get to it. However, part of the random process involves scanning tasks from one "hit" to another; it's not particularly deep.
7. Don't abandon the random method for urgencies and deadlines; get back to it as soon as possible. For me, I find the rhythm of the random list extremely important. Earlier important but not urgent stuff won't get done unless I spend time working the list randomly. I think that's actually where its power lies. With other list methods, some items linger for months. For me, anyway. That actually can't happen the way the random rules are set up to favour older tasks, as long as I keep working the list randomly.
March 12, 2023 at 11:12 | Unregistered CommenterPaul MacNeil
Paul MacNeil:

Glad you are getting on well with the Random Method. Like you I have always been amazed at how much work can get done with it. Your comments on what to do with deadlines are very helpful.
March 12, 2023 at 18:40 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Not sure if I've fallen off the wagon or not.

I entered the challenge on a Dreams / no-list basis but (having read Margaret1's post on here), I am trying serial no-list. Maybe I'm still clinging to the back of the wagon by my fingertips.

Incidentally, for those who like digital solutions, Twosapp is excellent for serial no-list (as well as other things). Haven't really thought about its application to any of Mark's other systems.
March 15, 2023 at 13:05 | Unregistered CommenterIanS
IanS

<< Not sure if I've fallen off the wagon or not >>

There are no judges and it's not a competition. Just a personal challenge. So it's up to you to decide if you have kept to it or not.
March 17, 2023 at 16:21 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I entered the challenge with my "Randomizer Execute/Explore variant", and gradually it dawned on me that this was actually a combination of DIT and Randomizer, but I had obscured that fact by the way I had formulated my rules. This allowed me to greatly simplify it -- both the concept, and the rules.

I describe it more fully here: http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2793270
March 18, 2023 at 3:49 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Been doing really, really well. Elastic AF has been helping me do things that really does feel a good balance of importance vs motivation. I have been tweaking things but not the system itself, rather the coding since it is on Obsidian and it needs a lot of customization for ElasticAF to work. And "coding" is mentioned loosely here because I have no coding experience, just stumbling through macro apps lol.
March 19, 2023 at 18:09 | Registered CommenterEd Z
I'm out.

I've switched to Fast-FVP with a new question: "What am I hesitant to avoid doing?"

My commitments aren't tightly regulated enough for Resistance Zero to work at the moment.
March 20, 2023 at 15:53 | Unregistered CommenterRyan Freckleton
I am finding myself pretty easily able to stick to the system that I have, though I've found the "chain" part of the system is somewhat difficult to fully utilize when there are certain disruptive forces. Overall, though, it's been a lukewarm success. It's "working" in some sense, but it also feels like it's not creating the impact that I *really* want, and I'm not sure why. I know at least part of it is how I have been in a disruptive environment that has caused lots of trouble.

I'm still tweaking though, and I do at least find the system easy to stick to.
March 21, 2023 at 6:08 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Early into Lent I was inspired to take on a social media fast. (Yes, I am breaking the fast at this moment; I'm back on the fast as soon as I click Post.) That decision has been a breakthrough for me, and since that moment I'm getting a lot done, more because of that decision than because of any system.

That said, the freer time has also enabled a breakthrough in clarifying LAPS, which is helping to improve the quality of my activities.
March 21, 2023 at 18:10 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I was doing pretty well with the Frog and Chain, but I found myself not really liking the overall progression of what was happening during the day, and I was getting somewhat annoyed at how much time did or didn't happen around my Frog, so I've decided to switch systems and move to Time Surfing instead.
March 29, 2023 at 5:35 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Still hanging in there with Gerry's Ultra-Simple Guide to Time Mgmt but seeing the limitations in a page dedicated to work, a page dedicated to my cohousing community, etc. There are some days when I need to blend the two, and I find I simply don't go back over the pages as often as I think Gerry intends in his instructions.

I can view this as me not committing to the system, or that the system is not for me. I tend toward the latter; still, there are aspects of it I like and i'm willing to stick with it some more to find out what they are.

I still have recurring tasks appearing in my Google Calendar or Remember the Milk; I find I use RTM when I'm out and about and want to quickly record a task to remember or when i want to forward an email to RTM if I need to follow up on something. Digital capture is still a vital part of my daily life, and the pad of paper is not always with me.

But I have discovered I like having a pad of paper at my elbow. Useful for so many jottings, note taking, noodling, fast calculations, etc that I will always keep one nearby after this challenge is over.
March 29, 2023 at 19:16 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Just realised the end date for the Lenten Challenge has passed without me noticing! I've enjoyed using Serial No List and it's kept me more or less on track with what had to be done. I'm quite tempted to experiment with a different system now, and there have been a lot of old and new ones discussed on this site over the past few months.
April 9, 2023 at 10:35 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret 1