To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Done lists

It's probably an old idea and I wonder whether Mark has written about it: I am experimenting with a Done list. Rather than recording what I hope to do soon and in the future, and will likely fail at to some degree, I log what I have succeeded in doing in recent days.

The format is simple: a grid, with each row labelled for a days, going backwards in time, and the columns dedicated to an activity. The activities I have are

1 advancing the company's sales
2 line management up and down
3 clearing a large backlog of papers and junk
4 making headway on a particular ambition related to family finances
5 anything else.

I write a short phrase in the relevant cell describing what I did to progress that activity on each day that passes. As I got ready to leave the office yesterday, I saw that I had recorded nothing on item 3, so I grabbed a handful of papers from my desk and shredded them; and on item 4, so I signed a client agreement with a financial adviser that had been lurking in the pile.

The grid exposes the absence of progress on activities which, if they have been chosen for inclusion, are presumably among the top four priorities for me currently. It stimulates me to do something, even if it is small, on each theme each day, and as we know, getting started is half the battle. It's encouraging because it shows what you have made demonstrable progress on.

I'll be interested if anyone else has tried this approach.
March 9, 2023 at 10:31 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C
I like how you have combined habit tracking/Gantt Chart style recording with the Done List concept. There is definitely some Forster-esque Little and Often in there as well, since you are not committing to a given quantity of work on any of those things, but just recording what you did to make forward progress.

There's a lot of pretty sophisticated stuff that I think you have managed to fit into a very simple system. I like it.
March 9, 2023 at 23:53 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
David C:

I don't think I've written about this before. As Aaron says, it does incorporate some of my themes but for the most part it is a new twist on them. It may have some resemblance to Kanban, but I'm no expert in that. Keep us posted on how it works out.
March 10, 2023 at 23:50 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I am finding that an advantage of the approach is that it only makes sense to log against three or four themes, and to put everything else in a catch-all column called Other. Though some people's situation might be different, for me it would make little sense to force daily progress on more fronts recorded in more columns.

This forces me to limit my efforts to a small number of priorities. I can ease this constraint by defining categories widely, for example, anything that advances the sales of the company. But even after doing that, everything that is not in three or four widely drawn categories has to fight for attention in the "Other" category; and if that starts to have more entries in it than the other columns, I receive a strong visual indication that I am getting spending my time on things others than the fields I have identified as the key areas for focus.

In this way the method achieves naturally what I have found to be the most difficult thing among Mark F's recommendations, which is to use overload as a trigger for auditing one's life commitments, and quite likely shed a few of them. (I expect that appears in Do It Tomorrow.)
March 13, 2023 at 10:45 | Unregistered CommenterDavid C