To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > DIT plus Randomizer

This system basically works just like DIT, except any tasks left over at the end of the day go into the Randomizer.

If you are using a dated journal, it works like this:
--Your Today list is a closed list of tasks you accumulated the previous day. It is on the current page in your dated journal.
--Your Tomorrow list is on the next day's page, where you accumulate all new incoming tasks
--All older pages that have tasks remaining are your Random pages.

So just cycle through your Today list till nothing stands out. Then roll the dice and start moving through your old pages, following the Randomizer rules. When you land back on the Today page, then cycle through it as much as you want and do whatever stands out.

In practice, I find most of my attention stays on the Today list till it is done, with only a few tasks remaining at the end of the day. The Closed List maintains its "pull" and makes you want to complete it.

Stuff that doesn't get completed is almost always the stuff that doesn't even need to be completed, or at least isn't urgent, or is maybe exploratory or optional. So it works great to let it roll over to the Randomizer.

Sometimes I see a task on my Today page that I just know doesn't need to be done today, and I want to clear it off of my current list and save it for later. It's so easy to do that: I just move it to an empty slot on the most recent Random page. That seems to work fine.

I often do the same things with incoming new tasks that I know don't need to be done any time soon -- reading, exploration, ideas.

Because of the nature of the way the tasks accumulate on the page, the Randomizer pages are not always filled with tasks -- there are often blank lines at the end of the page. That is fine - I just treat them like crossed-out tasks. In other words, if I land on a blank line, I just "slide" down to the next task (generally sliding back up to the top of the page and then to the first unactioned task on the page).

I really like this system.
--Extremely simple
--All the benefits of DIT
--All the benefits of Randomizer
--Surprisingly, it kind of feels like Serial No-List, maybe because of the way unfinished stuff just rolls to previous pages.
--But using Randomizer processes those earlier pages more systematically and more quickly.
--And DIT provides a lot of focus and momentum to get closure for the day
--I always really liked DIT's sense of closure at the end of the day. It really feels nice to get the Today closed list finished, and then spend some time cycling through the Random pages in a relaxed manner.

You don't have to use a dated journal, but I thought that was the easiest way to explain what I am doing.
March 18, 2023 at 3:48 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I was kind of surprised this combination hadn't come up before, so I did a search.

There is a great thread on different variations combining DIT and Randomizer -- http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2290127

But it doesn't seem anyone has tried this particular combination. I'd be happy to be proven wrong! I don't care so much about being the first one to try it -- I just like how it seems to work so well, and would love to compare notes with anyone who has tried anything similar. :)
March 18, 2023 at 4:04 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Thanks Seraphim, sounds interesting. I've been on a DIT kick recently and have started using the randomizer to process my list over the last few days, so this really strikes me.

I might give your method a go. I love how the randomizer forces me to get going on some work that I procrastinate over, but I also love using Mark's standing out method to guide my work. (I've done DIT for years on and off and usually process the list AF1 style). Your method might be a good balance.

I have two questions if you don't mind.

1. After working on a recurring/unfinished task on an older page, where would you typically reenter it? I assume on tomorrow's page if you've done 'enough work for today' on it

2. It seems like you are suggesting to continue to rotate between scanning today's page until nothing stands out and then doing a random pass through the old pages. How do you know when you are 'done for the day'? Is it when you have completed all the old pages and whatever stands out on today's page?

I have a hard time of giving up DIT's signal that I've finished work for the day. But maybe I could use your system and define a day's work as - cycle through today's page until nothing stands out then one random pass through the old pages then one final cycle through today's page until nothing stands out.

Thanks!
March 20, 2023 at 0:59 | Unregistered CommenterJoe
Also thanks for the suggestion about treating empty lines on half-filled pages as crossed-out tasks for the purpose of the randomizer. I might start doing that. I usually skip over the empty lines, which means sometimes the randomizer skips pages with small numbers of items, which doesn't feel right and appears to go against the randomizer's purpose.
March 20, 2023 at 1:05 | Unregistered CommenterJoe
Hi Joe -

Thanks for the interest and the questions!

<< 1. After working on a recurring/unfinished task on an older page, where would you typically reenter it? I assume on tomorrow's page if you've done 'enough work for today' on it >>

Yes, I just re-enter it on tomorrow's page.

<< 2. It seems like you are suggesting to continue to rotate between scanning today's page until nothing stands out and then doing a random pass through the old pages. How do you know when you are 'done for the day'? Is it when you have completed all the old pages and whatever stands out on today's page? >>

Yes, that is exactly how I go through the pages.

I get that "done for the day" signal when today's page is done. The old/random pages can hang around as long as they want. The randomizer will take care of them soon enough.

<< I have a hard time of giving up DIT's signal that I've finished work for the day. But maybe I could use your system and define a day's work as - cycle through today's page until nothing stands out then one random pass through the old pages then one final cycle through today's page until nothing stands out. >>

There is no need to give up the signal. If I clear today's tasks, then I am done, and I relax. If I still have time, I may choose to spend it doing a round or more of the old pages with the randomizer, but this is purely voluntary and it feels like a break. It feels like one of those Friday afternoons when there are no more meetings and you've finished all your commitments for the week and can just catch up on a few things that you WANT to do, not that you HAVE to do -- rarer and rarer in our hectic world. This method has given that back to me. Most days have been like that. There is great focus to get today's list done; then a great sense of closure and accomplishment when it *is* done; and then relaxed but regular attention on the other stuff.

This is how I always wanted "dismissed" tasks to work in AF1 -- they are gone from the active pages, but still get regular review to see if I should reactivate them, in a systematic but relaxed way. Letting the tasks roll to the old pages is a way to "dismiss" the tasks like this. The randomizer will pick them up within good time, but there is no pressure at all to deal with them.
March 20, 2023 at 6:17 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
<< Also thanks for the suggestion about treating empty lines on half-filled pages as crossed-out tasks for the purpose of the randomizer. I might start doing that. I usually skip over the empty lines, which means sometimes the randomizer skips pages with small numbers of items, which doesn't feel right and appears to go against the randomizer's purpose. >>

Yes, that is exactly the problem I was trying to solve.
March 20, 2023 at 6:19 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Earlier I wrote:
<< This is how I always wanted "dismissed" tasks to work in AF1 >>

This makes me wonder how Randomizer could be integrated with many different systems. For example, maybe it could be integrated with AF1 as follows:

1-- Do AF1 as normal

2-- But whenever you are done with the last page (i.e., you cycle through the last page, and nothing stands out), take a Randomizer walk through all the dismissed pages.

3-- After you cycle once through all the dismissed pages in this way, go back to the first active page and continue as normal with the AF1 rules.
March 20, 2023 at 16:00 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Great, thanks Seraphim for the helpful and thoughtful replies. DIT plus Randomizer has been working well for me this week. Yesterday I didn't finish everything on my Today list, so the Randomizer might come into play today. Thanks again
March 21, 2023 at 21:44 | Unregistered CommenterJoe
The other morning I was working my 'today' page. By about 11:15 a.m., I had finished a few tasks but then nothing else on the page stood out. I really didn't feel like working on the remaining tasks. At this point, the rules dictate doing a random pass through the old pages. However, I didn't have any leftover tasks on the old pages. I scanned the 'today' page but again nothing stood out. I decided to just use the Randomizer on the 'today' page. It helped me finish everything on it by the afternoon. It worked great - In the morning I worked on what felt 'right' or 'ready to be done' or urgent using the standing out method - and then in the afternoon the random method helped me finish everything else that i was resisting.
March 23, 2023 at 21:48 | Unregistered CommenterJoe
Joe - that's a great idea!
March 24, 2023 at 2:50 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I haven't read the whole of this discussion as I've been occupied on other things, but I think this system could be a bit simpler and a bit faster.

1. Use one continuous list.

2. Draw a line across the page at the beginning of each day.

3. Circle round the whole list using Simple Scanning for the immediately previous day and the current day, and Randomizer for earlier days. You should mark the change of system with a sign that can be deleted on subsequent days. A Randomizer selection that goes past the change sign is abandoned.

I haven't tried either way myself, so this suggestion is untested. It may lack the sense of completion that Seraphim's system provides, but for me the added flexibility would be worth it.
March 24, 2023 at 9:49 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark -

Thanks for the suggestions!

I think this is essentially the same system, and yes, your version might be simpler. The lines separate the list into sections. The last section is like the accumulating "Tomorrow" list. The penultimate section is like the "Today" list (and it's a closed list).

Since your method retains this closed list, I think it could still offer the same sense of completion. To make this clearer, maybe the rules should specify that one should aim to clear out this penultimate section every day.

The main difference is my method uses the end of the page as the delimiter, and your method uses a line. Also, your method has the advantage of cycling through the tasks on the Tomorrow list -- it doesn't make you wait till tomorrow actually comes. So it could be more responsive to new urgent tasks.

Maybe you could mark the change of systems by using a highlighter to mark the unfinished tasks on the "Today" section of the list (between the last two lines). All the highlighted tasks are subject to the Random regime, and all the rest are subject to the Simple Scanning regime.

This is reminiscent of AF1's use of the highlighter to mark all the "dismissed" tasks.

This would also make it possible to "dismiss" individual tasks that you don't want to deal with right now, but also don't want to delete. For example, you could add a new idea to your list and immediately "dismiss" it to the random regime by highlighting it.
March 25, 2023 at 3:11 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

I don't think my system is as similar to yours as you think. It is scanned as one single list with each day marked by a line. So far (Day 2) it is exactly like Simple Scanning with the start of each day marked.

However the big difference between this system and Simple Scanning is that only the current day and the previous day are processed by Simple Scanning. Earlier days are processed by the Randomizer. When the scanning reaches the demarcation line at the end of the earlier day(s), the Randomizer is abandoned for the time being and the two remaining days are processed by Simple Scanning.

So the sequence for each pass through the entire list is:

Earlier Days - one pass using the Randomizer, leading directly to:

Yesterday - one pass using Simple Scanning, leading directly to:

Today - one pass using Simple Scanning, leading back to the beginning of Earlier Days

Repeat

It's important to note that there is no Tomorrow list. The Today list is empty at the beginning of the day.

I intend to mark the change of systems between Randomizer and Simple Scanning by a small circle at either end of the dividing line. At the start of the following day the small circles will be filled in to show that they no longer apply.

It will take three days to get all three pages established - so you will realize that all this is so far purely theoretical as I've only being going for one full day. So all I have at the moment is the Yesterday section and the Today section - which has only got two tasks in it at the moment (one of which is writing this comment).
March 25, 2023 at 11:01 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
How did my first day go? I did 71 tasks and had 72 tasks left undone at the end of the day - a good proportion of those were re-entries. Bear in mind that so far it has been exactly the same as Simple Scanning.
March 25, 2023 at 11:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Thanks for the clarifications.

I think most of the differences were terminological. For example, you called the final section the Today list, I called it the Tomorrow list, but they essentially functioned the same way.

There was one real difference. Simple Scanning just does one pass through your Yesterday and Today sections, then returns to the earlier Random sections. I have been cycling through those sections repeatedly till nothing stands out, and only then returning to the earlier Random sections.

Maybe my brainstorming about implementing the "marker" by using a highlighter also caused some confusion. I currently don't do anything like that -- I was just riffing off your idea of using a marker.

Anyway, I really like the way you have implemented this, and it will be interesting to see the results.
March 25, 2023 at 16:16 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim::

<< I think most of the differences were terminological >>

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding how your system works, that is not the case. But I may be misunderstanding it. In your first post in this discussion you make mention of cycling through your Today list until nothing stands out, and then going to the "Older Pages" and using the Randomizer on them. You don't say anything about working on Tomorrow's page, and I understood you to mean that you don't work in Tomorrow's page until tomorrow.

But you are saying now my Today list is the same as your Tomorrow list and they function the same way. Well, that's not the case if your first post says what I thought it said, i.e. that you don't work on Tomorrow's list until tomorrow.

To be absolutely clear, I have three lists, Earlier, Yesterday and Today. I work on all three of them today. I use the Randomizer on the Earlier list, and Simple Scanning on Yesterday and Today. (At least that's what I will be doing when I've got an Earlier list - so far I've only got Yesterday and Today).

My understanding is that you also have three lists, but they are called Older, Today and Tomorrow. You work on Older and Today today, but only work on Tomorrow tomorrow. You use the Randomizer on the Earlier list, and Simple Scanning on Today. You don't work at all on Tomorrow.
March 25, 2023 at 18:03 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I think I'm going to have to give this trial up. My reason is that I seem to have done a vast number of tasks today but none of them have amounted to anything much.

This is not the case when I use a more focused system like NQ-FVP, and I need to be using that or a similar one as I some specific projects which I need more focus for.

Plus I've just thought of a simple way to keep tasks from getting isolated at the beginning of NQ-FVP's list and I want to try it out.
March 25, 2023 at 18:47 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I've starting using Vegheadjones' Nibble That Frog approach instead of this DIT+Random approach. It is a nice combination of FVP, 3T, and Randomizer that is working better for me than the DIT + Randomizer combination.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2793563
April 24, 2023 at 18:30 | Registered CommenterSeraphim