To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Andrew Huberman discovers structured procrastination

https://twitter.com/hubermanlab/status/1641151974178529280?t=SzZQfK7u1b7g8La0KxpkvQ&s=19

Great podcast. Everything old is new again.
March 30, 2023 at 13:20 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
It seems Andrew has a twist. From structuredprocrastination.com:

The list of tasks one has in mind will be ordered by importance. Tasks that seem most urgent and important are on top. But there are also worthwhile tasks to perform lower down on the list. Doing these tasks becomes a way of not doing the things higher up on the list.

Reading on, the advice seems to simply be, pick other valuable tasks and do them.

From Andrew's tweet:
The key to overcoming procrastination is to do something *more* unpleasant than the thing you are procrastinating about. What you choose is subjective but the reason it rebounds you to a heightened state of motivation is due to dopamine-dynamics (biology). Which is why it works.

So not just any good task, but some Froggier task to supplant the important task you are avoiding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P785j15Tzk "Get My Stuff Done"
March 30, 2023 at 18:20 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Interestingly, he mentioned in a later tweet to break down the tasks into smaller pieces and do little and often.

Autofocus 1 would fit for getting into the froggier task. Much of the time it would be an older task that you've been avoiding - and you promise yourself you just have to work on it a little bit to be able to move on.

But there is also the possibility of getting on with that not as important task depending on how many items you have on the current page.

I like the mix of both. Whether it's level of froggy tasks or neuroscience and philosophy.
March 31, 2023 at 1:57 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline