To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Nibble that frog!

Since I was not happy with any of the time management systems I was ping ponging around I chose not to participate in the Lenten Challenge. Instead I tried to develop what was, for me, the perfect Mark Forster hybrid system and, by golly I think I found it. It is a combination of NQ-FVP, Random and 3T. I call it: Nibble that Frog!

I work it electronically, but it should work fine on paper, you just need to use a few different markings, one for FVP and one for 3T. Here's how I do it.

1. Make a catch all list, 25 items per line/section.
2. Run FVP as you normally would, starting at the top and marking anything that stands out. Because of the next few steps I try not to mark too many items and I mark them with a frog emoji🐸
3. Take the last Frogged item and add it to a 3T list. Add two more tasks to the 3T list using the ramdomizer process, starting from the top of the list.
4. Work the three items until there is only one left. I like to work in 5 minute increments, work on the frog for 5 minutes, then 5 minutes for item 2, then 3, then 10 minutes for frog, 10 minutes for item 2 then 3, and increase by 5 minutes until two items are done.
5. If all that is left is the Frog task, randomly pick two more using a randomizer and starting where you left off.
6. If the item that is left is not a Frog item, you can go down the list from the last Frog using NQ-FVP and select the last Frog item along with a random item (counting from where you left off in the random list).
7. I like to start over each day, erasing all existing frogs and adding frogs from the top. I also like to start the randomizer from the top.

And there you have it. A perfect mix of getting the important done and all the rest. I feel good nibbling a frog until it is done and moving quickly and randomly through a list.

If anyone has questions, let me know. If anyone wants to try it, let me know how it goes for you.
April 14, 2023 at 20:26 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
Well, that's certainly something!
Are frogged tasks exempt from the random selection (so you always have exactly one frogged task in 3T)?
April 15, 2023 at 5:28 | Unregistered CommenterVirix
Hi Vrix,

Well, I’m something all right 😀

I have nibbled on two frogs at once, randomly selecting one as you noted above. I worked both and had a very productive day. Some days I am busier than others, that’s represented by creating more FVP frogs that day. Some days I don’t have many frogs and most of the tasks I work on come from the randomizer and are not frogged.

The system seems to match the cadence of the day.
April 15, 2023 at 16:45 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
I may give this a try. What is the purpose of segregating 25 items per section in step 1?
April 17, 2023 at 16:57 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
Hi Brent,

I just use 25 items as the size of a page. Since I am doing it electronically (I use Workflowy) I just needed a page length, 25 is a good number for me.
April 17, 2023 at 21:21 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
This is an interesting system. Following on from Brent's question, is page length only relevant when working electronically, or does it play a part in the instructions (both electronically and on paper)?
April 17, 2023 at 21:43 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
Hi Margaret,

So Nibble the Frog relies on three MF systems: FVP, randomizer, and 3T.

FVP, where you highlight the tasks that stand out, For that, you do not need pages.

For Randomizer, I use the sliding technique that Mark created. You set the randomizer to the length of the page, and you count the crossed out completed items. This puts a slight pressure on the older items.

You obviously do not need pages for 3T so it is only for that randomizer sliding effect that I use electronic pages of 25 items. The length of the page does not matter, and you can forgo pages if you do Random without sliding.
April 17, 2023 at 22:02 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Thanks for the explanation, vegheadjones.
April 18, 2023 at 11:16 | Unregistered CommenterMargaret1
Evocative name!
April 18, 2023 at 17:22 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Wow, this sounds great! I've also been experimenting with combining Randomizer with other MF systems and it's been really fruitful.
April 18, 2023 at 17:32 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim, your DIT plus randomizer systems was definitely an inspiration.
April 19, 2023 at 0:21 | Unregistered CommenterVegheadjones
I'm really enjoying this method.

I am finding it works better than my DIT + Random method (and Mark's variant of it).
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2793270

One key advantage: With the DIT+Random methods, there tends to be more emphasis on today's priorities, and the older random stuff does not get enough attention -- leading to a growing backlog. Mark's variant reduced this effect. But the Frog Nibbling method seems to be a lot better at systematically eliminating that backlog of older tasks.

One disadvantage: I don't have a clear idea of closure for the day. I like that sense of closure. It provides a sense of completion and calm at the end of the day, and a sense of drive and motivation during the course of the day. I'm still ruminating over why this is so important to me, and how the method might be adjusted to include this kind of thing.

But this is a relatively minor issue, compared to the Frog Nibbling doing a better job at reducing the size of the list. It's the first system I've used in years (ever?) that is actually causing my existing list to shrink, rather than allowing it to grow uncontrollably.
April 24, 2023 at 18:22 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
One thing I am doing slightly differently: when the 3T list gets down to 1 or 0 items, I reload it by first taking a Frog (an FVP selection), and then taking 1-2 random items to fill 3T back up to three items.

It doesn't seem to matter, trying to distinguish between Frogs and the older random items.

This often leads to having two Frogs from the FVP selection, and only one random item, but it seems to work out just fine.

Sometimes one big Frog stays on the 3T list for most of the day -- it is my main focus for the day -- a large or complex task or project that needs sustained attention -- and then the other two tasks provide an occasional break and allow me to get a good variety of other things done, both from the FVP selection and from older random tasks.
April 24, 2023 at 18:27 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Has anyone thought through how this would work on paper?

I am using a daily journal/log to list my daily scheduled reports (data analysis), adding specific tasks for the day to that, and also keeping the AF running list of tasks, which has fallen away a little, since the two systems feel redundant.

Because I have a certain number of required reports/tasks on a weekly basis, these systems have been a good way to keep track of the other projects I have to do, while also reminding me of my daily have-tos.

I wonder if keeping the long list while writing the 3Ts into my daily log would be a basic way to work this on paper. I am still not sure I have a complete grasp of the different methods, and the randomizer would have to be digital.

Does anyone else have a means to work this anolog(ue)?
April 24, 2023 at 19:28 | Unregistered CommenterConor Cook
Conor Cook:

I am using OneNote (electronic), but I had considered doing it on paper like this:
1-- Dot the FVP items
2-- Use a 20-sided die for the randomizer ( http://www.dicegamedepot.com/20-sided-dice-d20/ )
3-- Use a cross sign (+) to indicate the 3T selections:
3a-- Change the last dotted FVP item to a + sign
3b-- Use the 20-sided die to select two randomized items from the beginning of the list, and mark them with +

But if the list is long, it could require a lot of page-flipping to go back and forth between the three + items.

So an alternate solution would be to copy the three selected items to the end of the list, and mark them with + there.

Or copy the three selected items to a sticky note and use it as a bookmark as well.

Anyway, maybe that will give you some ideas.
April 25, 2023 at 2:45 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Hi Conor,

I started originally on paper. It helps to have the 3T lit be a separate list, on an index card or something.

One reason I like electronic is that I clear my frogs (FVP dots) every morning and refrog the list. This way it is always fresh and responsive to the needs of hte day. I found that harder to do on paper, but you can use a pencil with an eraser or come up with another analog method.
April 26, 2023 at 16:13 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
Seraphim:

I also like a sense of closure for the day. I've been tracking time for my working hours, and when I get to over 7 hours of actual working time I stop, barring no immediate deadlines that I need to complete that day. This has been working well for me across multiple time management systems.
April 26, 2023 at 19:34 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones