To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > New system for May 23

Anyone want to try a new system for May 23?
It is very simple:-
Have the usual one long list of all tasks you want to do.
Mark any that have an urgency or deadline coming up soon with a dot.
Morning - do dotted tasks always oldest first.
Afternoon - do undotted tasks always oldest first.
Have a good deferral system if you can’t keep up.
I have tried many systems over the years and this is the best one for me. The advantages are that it truly shows how far you are behind so corrective action can be taken to increase hours or delegate/defer. It is automated so negligible organisation time. You should handle a task twice - once when first seen to assess urgency and then other when it is actioned. Resist the temptation to do tasks out of order, so efforts are equally focused on urgency and jogging on all the other tasks that can wait a bit. It has eliminated procrastination for me.

I’m interested on feedback and if the best system ever or if rubbish and does not work!
April 25, 2023 at 21:26 | Unregistered CommenterAnon
I think all productivity systems work, more or less. They also fall apart in the same way, and for this reason:

Anon: "Resist the temptation"

Every system - AF, GTD, 7 Habits, Bullet Journaling - assumes a level of "resist the temptation" to ensure the system works. Some people have an emotional or cognitive disposition to follow the rules as stated. God bless 'em. I'm not one of them.

I've always thought Mark's DWM system would be best implemented with software, whereby if a task or project expired the software would permanently delete it. It would completely remove the "Resist the temptation" part of the equation.

For those of you who use Freedom - freedom.to - to manage your online activity, you know about "locked mode". Locked mode removes the "resist the temptation" element. The software simply locks you out of whatever websites you have identified (and for how long), and you can't do anything about it. You can't restart your computer. You can't delete the software. You CAN complain to your spouse, but it won't change a thing. The only thing you can do is contact support, and they will get back to you in 24 hours to provide permission. But that's enough time for the temptation to pass. I'm a paid subscriber, and recommend it to all of my clients who struggle with their online activity.

I'd imagine paying a coach a few hundred dollars a day would accomplish the same thing. The shame and financial burden would be enough to get whatever it is you promised to get done... done.
April 26, 2023 at 15:16 | Registered Commenteravrum
One thing I've begin thinking about is the degree to which mental introspection can help with the point that Avrum makes.

I have found that trying to create external structure to deal with things like procrastination could potentially work, and might be essential for actually managing your time, but for people who are highly resistant to "mental tricks", I have begun to wonder whether the only real solution is sufficient time spent internally to really struggle with the emotions and other elements that get in the way.

Simply being able to be aware of what is happening internally and then processing it explicitly might be the thing that permits some systems to work.

I think the problem here is that this isn't something that will just immediately fix issues, and many people want something like that. They don't want to do that emotional work: after all, that's why they're procrastinating in the first place! But at least, perhaps, if at least part of the energy spent on systems is spent on deep root causes, then maybe, eventually, this will begin to correct itself.

After that, if such causes are addressed, it will help mechanical systems have more effectiveness, even though it might not suffice to eliminate their necessity entirely.
April 26, 2023 at 21:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu