To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > New System: Three Strikes

Inspired by Mark's:
* Little and Often
* Dismissal
* Everything (tasks, projects, quotes, etc) in one place

Credit to my wife for using carrot/stick method to complete a large backlog of work items.

Steps:

1. Select a capture device - electric or analog. I use Apple's Notes

2. Choose something you love to do (daily) that isn't critical i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Drink Coffee, etc. Whatever you choose, that will be the thing that you can not do until you "touch" every item on your list (more on that soon).

3. Enter today's date. Ex: Sun. May 28

4. Start writing down - line by line - any tasks, projects, questions, etc as they come to you. Continue to do this throughout the day.

5. Start of next day. Enter the date. Ex: Mon. May 29. Brain dump anything that's on your mind. When you're finished, draw a line after the last item. All new or reentered tasks, projects that arise throughout the day go after this line.

6. Whenever you like, start at the top of your list and go line by line and employ:

a. Little and often
b. Skip

7. Put a dot next to the item you plan to tackle. Do whatever you feel/think is necessary (or skip - more on that later) and reenter the task at bottom of list. Once reentered, cross out the item you dotted.

8. Continue doing the same to everything on your list until you make it to the line (that you created in step 5).

9. If you skip an item for the first time, it gets a "/", the next day if you skip it again, it gets a "X", if you skip it a third day it is erased/dismissed from your list. This ensure the list is fresh and provides a realistic picture of what you can (and want to) do in a given three day period.

10. Once you have "touched" or skipped every item on your list, you're free to engage in all the Netflix, Facebook, knitting... whatever, you choose.

I have found this lowers my anxiety about "out of sight, out of mind" issue that I run into with a system like GTD or traditional to-do list. It also reduces all of the resistance I've found with Mark's ongoing scanning throughout the day - something I didn't enjoy. If you can muster the discipline to NOT do the pleasurable thing that you highlighted, it will pull you to "touch" every item on your list, every single day. Nothing gets ignored, or lingers for weeks and weeks covered in cobwebs.

The three strikes rule is borrowed from baseball. I find three strikes an adequate amount of time to decide if I'm really going to tackle a thing, or it was just a whimsical fantasy masquerading as a must do item.
May 28, 2023 at 16:48 | Registered Commenteravrum
I DO NOT put anything on the list that I'm already doing on a daily basis, or need a nudge to start i.e.

Check email
Go to gym
Kiss my kids
Make supper
etc
etc
May 28, 2023 at 16:58 | Registered Commenteravrum
I had a bit of trouble understanding your instructions, but here's my summary of what I think they mean.

1. Draw up a long list of everything you want or ought to do (not including things you'll do anyway)

2. Draw a line at the end of the list. You can enter new tasks after the line as you wish.

3. Do one scan through the list. Scan every task in turn taking one of the following actions:
a) DO IT and DELETE it if finished
b) DO IT and RE-ENTER it after the line if not finished or repetitive
c) SKIP IT and re-enter it after the line marked with a / to show it's been skipped
d) If a task is already marked with a /, DO IT or re-enter it with an X to show it's been skipped twice
e) If a task is already marked with an X, DO IT or DELETE IT

4. When you reach the line you cease work for the day.

5. The next day add whatever you want to the list before you start and then repeat 2-5.

Have I got this right?
May 28, 2023 at 18:39 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
A VERY simple example, assuming it's tomorrow - Mon. May 29 - post am braindump:

Sun May 28
a
b
c
d

Mon May 29
e
f
g
-----------------

And we begin, following steps 6 - 9:

Sun May 28
/ a
/ b
* c
d

Mon May 29
e
f
g
-----------------

[I skipped the first two items, and marked the third "c" as something I want to make some progress on. I'll apply "little and often" and re-enter as per the rules]

Sun May 28
/ a
/ b

d

Mon May 29
e
f
g
-----------------
c

[I continue down the list and skip everything else. Ridiculous, I know. But I want to demo the next day (Tues).]

Sun May 28
/ a
/ b

/ d

Mon May 29
/ e
/ f
/ g
-----------------
c

[Ok, it's now Tues am, braindump complete. The list looks like this]:

Sun May 28
/ a
/ b

/ d

Mon May 29
/ e
/ f
/ g
c

Tues May 30
h
I
j
k
----------------------------

[Assuming I skip everything... the list will look like this on Weds, post braindump]:

Sun May 28
X a
X b

X d

Mon May 29
X e
X f
X g
/ c

Tues May 30
/ h
/ I
/ j
/ k

Wed May 31
l
m
n

[If I skip over a, b, d, e, f, or g they will be dismissed, erased, kaput when I pass/skip each item.]

NOTE: Even if skip you over everything - because you're a lazy ***** - you still get to engage in your pleasurable activity because you scanned your entire list. At a minimum, you've placed in your conscious and subconscious mind the things that are on your mind, and will help prime you for tomorrow.
May 28, 2023 at 18:46 | Registered Commenteravrum
Assuming I understood you instructions correctly, my comment on this would be:

You could get much the same result using three day-lists, which you process in turn until nothing stands out. At the beginning of each day delete the oldest list, including everything that's on it and start a new blank one. All new tasks and re-entered tasks go on the new list.

That would give a slightly different criterion for deleting tasks, i.e. three days instead of three refusals. But I think it would have much the same effect. It would have the advantage that you could leave refusals in place instead of having to copy them all to the end of the list.
May 28, 2023 at 18:52 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

<<1. Draw up a long list of everything you want or ought to do (not including things you'll do anyway)>>

Yes.

<<2. Draw a line at the end of the list. You can enter new tasks after the line as you wish.>>

Yes - new and re-entered tasks.

<< 3. Do one scan through the list. Scan every task in turn taking one of the following actions: >>

So far, yes.

<< a) DO IT and DELETE it if finished >>

Yes.

<< b) DO IT and RE-ENTER it after the line if not finished or repetitive >>

Yes.

<< c) SKIP IT and re-enter it after the line marked with a / to show it's been skipped >>

No - you don't reenter it. If it's a first skip, you place a slash "/". A second skip receives a "X", a third skip (hence, 3 strikes you're out), the item is removed.

<< d) If a task is already marked with a /, DO IT or re-enter it with an X to show it's been skipped twice>>

If a task is marked with a "/" or a "X" you can apply "little and often" to salvage the item, or if you skip an item with a "X", it's gone.

<< e) If a task is already marked with an X, DO IT or DELETE IT >>

Exactly.

<< 4. When you reach the line you cease work for the day. >>

You don't have to cease work - you can do whatever you want to do. However, you enter your discretionary time with the knowledge that:

1. You put into consciousness the the things that are on your mind (tasks, projects, ideas, etc)
2. You made a bit of progress on everything that is relevant to your life for today

<< 5. The next day add whatever you want to the list before you start and then repeat 2-5. >>

Ideally, as soon as you wake up, you add to the list based on dreams, anxieties, etc. Flush out your mind. And then draw a line.

I've added a silly example above this comment. I'm hoping it brings some clarity to the rules.
May 28, 2023 at 18:56 | Registered Commenteravrum
<< You could get much the same result using three day-lists, which you process in turn until nothing stands out.>>

Interesting. I prefer seeing the dates - over time - for all entered, worked on, etc items. A narrative is formed of what's top of mind, what I'm ignoring, etc. I use that information for my weekly review/narrative.
May 28, 2023 at 18:59 | Registered Commenteravrum
Ah, the thing which I missed was that you don't re-enter the skipped tasks, but leave them in place. The difference between your system and my idea is that you only scan the list once. At least I think that's it!
May 28, 2023 at 19:00 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

<< The difference between your system and my idea is that you only scan the list once.>>

Exactly. I was searching for a way to embrace some of your most important concepts, without living off of a list. And "no list" is not an option - I tried it, and it did not work well for me (ask my wife). I kept asking myself: What's the MED (minimum effective dose) - the smallest amount of scanning a long list to ensure I don't resent the rules, while staying on top of the things I'm trying to make progress on.

The final part of this system was watching my wife make serious progress on a backlog of her clinical notes. She denied herself access to a few professional groups on Facebook - which is her guilty pleasure - and only engaged with those groups once she completed a certain number of clinical notes.
May 28, 2023 at 19:08 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

<< I was searching for a way to embrace some of your most important concepts, without living off of a list. >>

Yes, I can understand that, though it probably wouldn't work for me - I like living off a list!

I might give it a try though - you never know. Though how I'll survive without any funny cat videos on YouTube I have no idea.
May 28, 2023 at 19:13 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
This is an interesting application of the idea of rewarding yourself after making at least some progress. It's a little like a structured "nibble your frogs" idea.

I go back and forth on whether or not I am a stubborn person who doesn't like anyone, most especially myself, telling me what I should do before I can enjoy myself, or actually a super driven, disciplined person with so much ambition that I need to learn to let myself go and relax. Or maybe I'm both at the same time, a terrible employee and an even worse boss.
May 29, 2023 at 1:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

In a perfect world, the above system would be implemented by software - whereby the 3 day countdown would happen as soon as you entered an item, and disappear whether you liked it or not. I would implement DWM with the same type of automation.

I'm similar to you - I like what I like and I want it now. Life is short, damn it. But I still think eating your cookies after supper is a better way to live.
May 29, 2023 at 3:14 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

>> … implemented by software - whereby the 3 day countdown would happen as soon as you entered an item, and disappear whether you liked it or not.

You could do that in Apple Numbers by using a filter. It's not even anything to implement there. Just have a date colum and set up the filter rule to hide older than 3 days, pronto.
May 29, 2023 at 13:34 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
Christopher:

I didn't know that, thanks.

However I've been working the list with Apple Notes/Apple Pencil and I like the organic-ish feel of analog and digital.
May 29, 2023 at 14:34 | Registered Commenteravrum
Avrum:

Exactly!

“… I've been working the list with Apple Notes/Apple Pencil and I like the organic-ish feel of analog and digital.”

Smooth! — Been getting close to this via an Apl Notes/Apl Pencil/BuJo approach. You’ve nailed it for me,

“Three Strikes — You’re Out!, at this Old List Game. Thanks, Avrum (and Mark, and All).
May 29, 2023 at 23:54 | Unregistered CommenterDjorn
I use Amazing Marvin. I have the procrastination strategy turned on that puts an exclamation point for each day that the task is rescheduled. I imagine you could filter tasks that have 3 !!! And either delete them or put them on the back burner (which requires that you intentionally look at those tasks). They no longer appear in the regular list. I like this idea.
July 2, 2023 at 21:13 | Unregistered CommenterMelanie Wilson