To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Oscillating Lists

I have a new way of working with my lists that I thought I would share here. The concept is to alternate my tasks between two different categories.

An example would be personal category alternating with a work category. Another example is to alternate physically oriented tasks with a computer/mentally oriented task.

An even more nuanced approach might be to alternate my routine tasks with my one-time tasks from a "long list"

I find the back and forth rhythm of working my lists this way keeps it feeling novel and fresh. For some reason the oscillating nature also feels "restful" because I'm always taking a break from the "other" category in an alternating fashion. I'm always taking a break while simultaneously always doing something. If I start the day with quicker low resistance tasks and routines then it feels even more relaxed and restful while also getting me into a flow state of "doing"

Recognizing that lots of things in nature have oscillations and waves makes me think that I might be tapping into something powerful.

I'm interested to hear the thoughts from the group on this.

Brent
August 3, 2023 at 21:50 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
Are you doing one item from one list and then doing an item from the other list? Or are you working from one list and then when you feel like it go to the other one?
I have thought that using a notebook I could have one list on the left page and another list on the right page. Such as:

Tasks - Notes
Started - New
Hard- Easier
Like - Don't Like

I think it might depend on what one needs to have a balance of. Is there a category that is being neglected?
August 4, 2023 at 16:44 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I'm technically working from one list that I create each morning. I keep my "longer" lists digitally but I work from a physical paper list that is new each day. So for example, my daily list might look like below. This example alternates between physical and computer (mostly)

-------
Physical: Brain dump ideas on paper and then throw it in a physical inbox for later review

Computer: Clear yesterday's remaining Email inbox - This is mostly deleting and flagging things as a task (put on a list) but not necessarily doing it this stage

Physical: create this daily list - usually those first two tasks give me a feel for what I should be focusing on today. so I build out a few alternating items that I can work sequentially.

Computer: Clear today's email inbox - again only deleting and flagging at this point

Physical: Work on yesterday's Physical inbox I usually do only one item at a time (these are usually my scribbled notes from meetings that I like to have one page per meeting. Working on it usually means Reviewing, Transcribing more legibly , and putting in a electonic project lists or reference files)

Computer: Work on item from pre-defined Project list

Physical: work on another paper from the physical inbox as described previously

Computer: work on item from pre-defined Project list

-------

This is just an example that shows my Daily list is usually on paper but I build it out as I go pulling from alternating places based on my intuition but I guess I tend to alternate between inboxes and pre-defined work.

As I describe it here I realize that it is kind of fluid and goes largely off intuition but I like to write down several alternating steps each day so I have something to cross off as I do them. Which is also quite satisfying.
August 4, 2023 at 18:11 | Unregistered CommenterBrent