To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Suggestions for a "Done List" idea

I'm trying to find a way to make the best use of discretionary time, and commit to ONE thing at a time. Mark's question: "What's the best use of my time right now?" helps guide this process.

One idea would be to employ a "Don't Break The Chain" format. So every day, you start with a blank page, and as soon as you have discretionary time, you write down ONE thing you're going to do. If you do it, you mark it as complete it some way. And then you choose another thing. How long can you go without breaking the chain? One way to do this would be to use numbers:

1. Call bob
2. Go to gym
3. Start sketching course

If you don't do #3 (sketching course), you start over:

1. Do invoices
2. Call Aunt Susan

etc

How long can one go and not deviate from what you're committing to?

Any other ways you'd manage a daily capture page? My intention is to have a picture - at the end of the day - about how I managed my discretionary time. As well, the end result should highlight something to be gleaned to do better tomorrow.

Ok folks - I'm open to ideas, books you'd suggestion, and of course, any of Mark's previous blog posts on topics like this.
August 31, 2023 at 17:05 | Registered Commenteravrum
There is a no-list method that is like this:

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2612782

It is called the The Simplest Form of No-List.

There is a book that is based on this idea of writing one thing down and then doing it.
https://thenotepod.com/book-notes/the-more-you-do-the-better-you-feel-by-david-parker/

I found the book in a library and read much of it. The author builds on the idea, so there is more to it than that.

I will do this, probably on a regular basis, maybe not everyday, but when I feel like it, when I am getting started, for example getting home, or waking up- write down one thing and do it. I might do this several times to warmup. But after a few minutes, I find it fatiguing. What is fatiguing is having to decide each time what to do next. I will mentally go through a few options and then decide, but I find it easier on the brain to write the options down on paper so I can see them, and now I have several things I could do, and I feel like I have a freedom of choice, and I find it more motivating to have several things to do in front of me on paper. Then I don't have to think what to do next again because I have several other things on a list. Also, having to do just one thing over and over again activates the perfectionistic side of me (only one thing), and I might reach the point when I can't think of something to do next, which creates anxiety.

So for me, it works for few minutes, and then it is better to drop it after I have several things to do, or have more energy.

However, the chain idea might work for you. I didn't try that, and it might make it more like a game.
August 31, 2023 at 20:51 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Mark H.:

Wow - all of that info was very helpful. I purchased the book :)

<<I didn't try that, and it might make it more like a game.>>

It's so silly - but it appears to be working. As the list of successful commitments grows, a competitive part of me wants to keep it growing.
September 1, 2023 at 0:24 | Registered Commenteravrum
You’ve given me a fantastic idea, Avrum. I have a chain of 130 days + of using Duolingo. I do a 5-minute lesson after lunch. But when I’m done, I have a hard time transitioning back to work. I’ll let Marvin choose a random task for me. As long as I do anything on it, it’s a link in the chain. I should be primed to work and I’ll be motivated not to break the chain. I just need a good way of tracking that!
September 1, 2023 at 3:41 | Unregistered CommenterMelanie Wilson
Avrum,

I hope you find the book worthwhile.

I thought it had some good tips. I found it similar to the no-list methods. There are some videos on Youtube with the author, and the author has a website with some information about the book.
September 1, 2023 at 4:44 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
By the way, the idea of making/keeping commitments comes from the late Stephen Covey (7 Habits):

"As we make and keep commitments, even small commitments, we begin to establish an inner integrity that gives us the awareness of self-control and the courage and strength to accept more of the responsibility for our own lives."
September 1, 2023 at 4:47 | Registered Commenteravrum
Hrm...interesting.

There's a lot of strength in commitments. For me, I grew up with Covey, and thus, the concept of commitments, and thence GTD, where the idea of capturing your commitments and being able to "stay on top of them" was a big deal. I found that what I really needed over time was the ability to accept that a commitment might not be right even though I made it, and to have the humility to renegotiate that commitment. That has always been hard for me, but it made things a lot easier.

Now, I find that I am much less stressed when I create more space, rather than more commitments. It's easy to push yourself to the ragged edge with commitments, and I have to actively push against that for myself.

However, along this same vein, when it comes to doing one thing, I've found that working on the idea of doing "nothing" paradoxically helped me do one thing better than most other methods. That's because when doing one thing, I tend to struggle with wanting to do something else, questioning whether I'm doing the right thing, and being overwhelmed with the possibilities of what I could do.

Working on creating space can help with the fatigue that one can build up from a no-list that goes from thing to thing rapidly. Instead of going from thing to thing, you can pick one thing (it doesn't matter what), and then when you're done with that thing, you close it off in your mind, and take a breather (I got this idea first from HPX in the form of transitions training, and then from Time Surfing). You give yourself space to do nothing, and then you release your mind from having to think about the next thing. I find it's a lot easier to think about things at that point. If you're still caught up in your last thing, you continue doing nothing until you are able to let go.

I find that doing things like this and allowing yourself to continue to do nothing and not fret over that, ironically frees up something in my mind so that I can choose the next thing more easily. And if I practice that, I find it somewhat easier to also accept what I'm doing in the moment, because I've given myself a little space and time to settle into the decision instead of feeling like I have to jump right to the next thing.

The release of obligation to choose something "right now" seems to help me unlock my brain and helps me to reduce that procrastination and overwhelm about having too many things to do.

I think this ties in with the overall idea that humans have traditionally lived lives that are cyclical, and the constant drive to go from one thing to the next in rapid succession isn't particularly natural. Alternating from doing something to doing nothing and then back again in a cycle seems to make a huge difference.

I really like Cal Newport's take on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZwPyB20lxg
September 1, 2023 at 10:30 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

My clients often ask: Do you have any tools to help manage my anxiety? My response: Experiment, and choose what works (The longer answer has to do with how they manage themselves in their relationships, but that's another story).

Choosing one commitment, writing it down and observing if I can fulfill it morphs into a snapshot of how my day went. All of that info goes into my meaning-making journal - something I've discussed on this forum. So "don't break the chain" commitments are scaffolding for a much more important project.

I find Newport insufferable. Partly it's his persona, but also his Time Blocking suggestions. Some people love to plan out their day like this, I find it stifling.
September 1, 2023 at 12:54 | Registered Commenteravrum
This is a very thought provoking topic.

I think it might interesting write down a time stamp with the "commitment entry". The elapsed time between each commitment entry could shed some light on how the day went as well.

Before reading your post I was thinking about how I needed to have a day or two of doing a time audit to see where my time is going because I have felt really inefficient lately. When I've tried to track time in the past I've approached it from a "What did I just do and for how long?" But I like the idea of flipping it to a what am I starting right now list and seeing how the duration between the start timestamps informs me.

I also like the concept of the "starting nothing" time stamps. I suspect calling attention to the need to actually take a purposeful nothing break would be healthy.

Brent
September 1, 2023 at 16:13 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
Here's the most recent iteration of my daily page that I use to capture appointments (Left), commitments + "don't break the chain" (Middle), and follow up tasks and "waiting to hear back i.e. waiting for (Right). Symbols for undone "/" and done "x" tasks, waiting on/for symbol "-"

This one page acts like a daily cockpit - what I'm scheduled to do, and how much discretionary time I have.

I punch each page, and place it in a Levenger Circa (Junior).

Image here: https://ibb.co/CP35bGB
September 1, 2023 at 20:18 | Registered Commenteravrum
Avrum,

I decided to get the Kindle book "The More You Do", and read the book again. I read about the parts about doing one thing at a time. He insists that one write the task before doing it, and crossing it out only after completing it. I would have preferred that the author expanded on this method more instead of spending much of the book on procrastination.

I do think it is similar to The Simplest No-List method. It is not clear in either case whether the method means to generate at the time the next task to do with one's own brainpower, or can one refer to a list, perhaps a master list, or today's list. I get the impression that no, you can't consult a list.
A number of Mark Forster's method involves working a list, and starting to work a task BEFORE finishing the previous task(s), or rotating round a group of tasks.

The author of the book "The More You Do" does advocate if one writes a task that one thinks is too difficult, to break it down until one thinks of a task one can do. And also deals with projects. At one point he says it all right to work on a task, starting a grocery list, while working on other tasks.

It is another tool that can be useful at the right time, but I tried it tonight and it didn't work for me.
I think it is good to have several tools available, and switch to one or other when the time is ripe.
September 2, 2023 at 4:31 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Regarding Cal Newport:

I did watch his Youtube video on Slow Productivity. I don't follow him regularly. But I did read his book Deep Work, which I have, and browsed on his website. Yes, he does claim to plan his whole day, yet he admits he will have a thinking day, he will take walks in a nature when he will think about a problem, and he has a thinking chair. I doubt at those times who is spending every minute on whatever he planned for his day. I noticed that he admitted he discarded his plan for the day to finish writing a chapter. However, the comments on his website indicate his readers struggle with keeping to their planned schedule for the day, and it seems he is more flexible in implementing his own advice than some of his readers. On the video, he discusses the trend of books about doing nothing. During the Slow Productivity video he struck him as being humorless, however at the end he recommended the comedian Steve Martin's biography. He is likely broader and more adaptive than his persona, if we judge him from the cover of his books. He might not have much control of the titles anyway. If I followed him more, I could probably find enough worthwhile advice to follow.
He mentioned the book "How to Do Nothing" by Jenny Odell. I bought the book, and was reading it, and did not make it half way through. It is a hard read. I was making notes about every page to understand it. It is more about resisting the attention economy.
September 2, 2023 at 4:59 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I bought Parker's JOT book, which was very interesting and helpful, although I found it repetitive. But here's a key insight for me, I think... When I was doing the random method, I began to think that maybe it was so successful because I had a problem with procrastination, which is confirmed after reading Parker. There were things on my random list that I would not have done were it not for the randomizer. The problem was there were responsibilities still not getting done, not because I was avoiding them but because the randomizer wasn't selecting them. So I would move away from the randomizer to FVP or simple scanning or even time surfing, none of which helped my procrastination, as tasks were very easy to avoid under the spell of the illusion of productivity. In a way, and for me as a procrastinator, some list systems just contributed to the core problem. Now I hope combining the JOT method and Time surfing will help. Here goes...
September 2, 2023 at 13:58 | Unregistered CommenterPaul MacNeil
Mark H:

<< Kindle book "The More You Do">>

I read a bit, and returned. I found your thoughts on this forum more interesting than the book. Maybe you should write one!
September 2, 2023 at 15:01 | Registered Commenteravrum
So last night I came home and and had about 2 hours before I had to go to bed. And I decided to write one thing down and do it but then as I started to do it I realized this is going to take longer than I expected and so I wrote a list of things that I wanted to do before bed and there were 15 items. I managed to do 12 of them and left three undone which I did the next morning. But if I used the J.O.T. method I would have accomplished a few of them and run out of time before I needed to brush my teeth and floss. There are times that I think that method is useful. Let's say one is fatigued or sick or mentally absorbed or distracted or one's time management system has fallen apart. Maybe at that point just doing one thing is all one can do at the moment. It's too much for one to do to implement GTD or DIT. Or one is pressed for time and has only a few minutes. I think the author could have spent several more chapters on his method. There's probably more to it than he described. The examples he gave were helpful and he could have shown how he does it from his own lists. I was reading what Paul said in his comment and what I realize is that I think the author does spend time on procrastination and on his method but I'm not sure that the method will solve all of one's procrastination problems. After all the people on this forum have been spending perhaps years writing lists and crossing them out and apparently at least some of us still have procrastination. Some procrastination will evade any time management system. Our inner gremlin will find a way. Perhaps we need to confront directly whatever it is we are procrastinating about and find out why. It could be something emotional or even spiritual that's blocking us. With the J.O.T. method one could avoid indefinitely writing down the task one is procrastinating about. We need to admit we are procrastinating and confront it. And maybe he is right about doing one thing at a time. But maybe it's the specific thing we are procrastinating about that we need to confront and deal with.
September 2, 2023 at 17:37 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
There are so many interesting threads of ideas here!

I really like the principles that Newport expresses in his works, but I've never been a huge fan of his time blocking methods. However, in the three ideas he espouses in the above cited Slow Productivity video, I think he really captures a fundamental issue with how we tend to try to live our lives today. The advice of fewer things at a natural pace with obsessive quality hits home for me. Underpinning those principles is a general concept of patience. Honestly, patience (or a lack thereof) is probably one of the biggest problems I have, and I found that aspect most resonant with me when I read Parker's book. If you don't have the patience to do things, that can really create a lot of procrastination and stress.

However, I have come to find that I *really* like the accomplishment of tasks more than the use of time blocking on a bunch of things. I think Time Blocking is *very* useful if you are in a situation like a professor's, where you've got everything and everyone trying to pull you in all sorts of directions, and there's always a way to spend too much time on something, with very little guard rails to keep you on task, and where the tasks are very ill-defined.

Nonetheless, I have never found working in arbitrary time blocks to be even a helpful planning tool. I will give Newport a lot of credit here for making time blocking about intention more than about scheduling. I think a lot of people associate Newport's time blocking with the time blocking that other's do, but Newport really emphasizes not being bound to the time blocks, ironically. He has always said that his use of time blocking is more about setting a sense of control and intention for a given day that is cognizant of the time available, as a feedback tool, rather than a scheduling tool. To that end, he's the only one I've ever seen in the time blocking space to consistently dedicate most of the space in his planners and methods to "rescheduling" his time blocks. In his planner, for instance, he essentially dedicates enough room for something like four complete schedules per day, under the assumption that you will reschedule any time you need to do so, and without guilt.

But notwithstanding this flexibility, I still think that the "Control" element of Newport's systems (I think he uses something like Capture, Clarify, and Control as his framework principles) is something I've learned to get away from for my own good. I like control too much, and if you combine that with natural human fallibility, it's just a recipe for burnout and procrastination and dissatisfaction for me.

I think the most appealing element of Time Surfing from a principles PoV is its intentional emphasis on Calm -> Control vs. Control -> Calm. That's very pertinent to my own situation, and I find that shift in focus to be really valuable for me. Thus, any system that is driven too much by a Control -> Calm approach isn't as effective for me.

I read through Parker's book and found it interesting. I am glad that he made it short, but I think it wasn't short enough. I think there was a lot of stuff there to provide too much detail for people, when I was already "on board" early on, and so I didn't need all the extra discussion.

I think Parker hits a very good point about procrastination, which is centered around the idea of avoidance of discomfort/fear. I think that his J.O.T. method is very well designed for addressing the specific thing he's working against, which is a pathological form of procrastination. Mark Forster has mentioned many of the same techniques, but I don't think he has framed a specific system that was as laser focused on this one element as Parker has.

There are a few things that I think are worth highlighting in Parker's method. He emphasizes:

* Starting *and* finishing any given task
* Paying very close attention when you aren't able to start a task
* Not worrying about choosing any specific right thing, but just picking the first procrastinated task on your mind

In the context of systematically addressing procrastination over time, i think Parker's method is really sound. As he mentions in the book, the goal of his method has nothing to do with actually "getting things done" at a micro-level. It's rather about practicing and building up a counter-habit to the procrastination habit that has been engrained. Thus, there's a huge focus on not just working on some things, but *finishing* and executing something, anything at all.

Time Surfing's first rule of "Do One Thing at a Time, and Finish What You're Doing" is a little bit different, both in design and intent, but I think they're very similar. The net effect is one of increasing the sense of accomplishment and engagement in the moment, to get yourself away from negative ideation of all the work you have to do, and get you into a sense of action.

Mark's approaches have also always had a strong bias towards action, and in that sense, i think they all belong to a similar classification of action-biased methods. I've found these sorts of methods more helpful for someone like myself who is already really good at planning and strategizing, but less good at doing.

Another element of Parker's method is how much that one thing really forces a direct confrontation with the "doability" of any given task. Rather than giving up on a task when you fail to do it, you are expected to rewrite the task, and continue to rewrite it into a smaller and more granular step until you can do that one thing. This is a little brutal, but I think it would be highly effective (actually, I know it is highly effective for some people). This is a really nice, mechanical method of applying things like David Allen's Next Action principle, or Mark Forster's Little and Often principle.

I think the difference between this and Mark's Little and Often principle is the idea of rewriting a task until it is so simple and doable that you can finish it in one go. This is fundamentally less efficient than Mark's Little and Often approach of re-entering tasks after having done a little bit of work on them, but I think for people with excessively chronic procrastination problems, especially who have strong executive dysfunction, this is a huge element. The ability to *finish* something is huge for some people. I would probably include myself in this, and this is probably why I find working off of tasks that I can finish is better for me, because I have such big picture tasks and goals as the only anchors in my life that I *have* to have something more concrete to work from or I'll live for years with "tasks" that are "never done", which can be really demoralizing.

Mark H's observation about whether you can refer to an external list or the like, I think Parker's method is along the same lines of Mark F's No-List methods. But in the case of Parker's method, the whole point is about practicing taking action instead of avoiding your work. It's fundamentally a method for clearing your head and rewriting your action "circuitry". In that sense, the idea is to not let yourself get into the habit of speculating about the future, and a to do list or master list is something of a speculation about the future, which, in the case of this chronic procrastination Parker is dealing with, is something that he needs to get away from. Instead, finding the thing that's taking up the most space in your head (something David Allen has pointed out as a good technique) and working through that with the method is a way of building that momentum up.

This also means that at the beginning it's not about trying to optimize what you're doing in the moment, because you're just looking for *anything* that you can do. The idea is that you build up your ability to take on tasks, and once you are able to actually take action, then you can start asking yourself things like First Things First (which Parker mentions later in the book). But at it's core, the way I read it, the J.O.T. method is essentially a training ground for learning how to deal with task overwhelm and discomfort by taking action and succeeding in taking that action. In this sense, succeeding at doing a procrastinated task that is simple, but that you succeed at, is better than a theoretically more valuable task that you aren't yet able to succeed at.

I think that having a master list would be fine at some point in the future using J.O.T. if you've become more comfortable with your ability to do things, and that task list doesn't become a source of stress for you. At that point, you're also probably able to start making better decisions about what is more important to do from among options, but until you can get to that point, the J.O.T. method without a master list is probably better, because it will naturally target the things that can be addressed that are taking up space in your head.

Re: the worry about that you might never get to doing some things, I think that the idea behind J.O.T. is that you will slowly build up your ability to act effectively, and as you do that, you'll be able to face things that were beyond your emotional capacity with more confidence. Thus, the method isn't about squeezing the most amount of things into a given time block, or making the "most" out of your time, but rather about building up the best ability to tackle tasks over time that would otherwise scare you away/cause procrastination.

In the J.O.T. method, he does say that you should pick something you're procrastinating on, or that you need to do (I think he phrases it as the first thing that comes to mind). However, I agree with Mark H's speculation that there are other ways of getting at this problem. In some sense, the J.O.T. method is an indirect, action-driven training ground for the mind, whereas I have had some good degree of success with a more contemplative approach such as that suggested by Time Surfing, in which you *don't* commit to action, but rather, visualize and play with a given task that you're procrastinating on, doing work to get it down to the next action level, and try to do the work of playing with your own emotional feelings around a given thing.

I have found the Time Surfing method of dealing with procrastination quite effective, but I also have to admit that I've been doing and playing with that kind of "Zen practice" for a long time. There are a lot of people that I know for whom it would be quite challenging and probably inaccessible to try to get into that sort of thing right away. In the Time Surfing approach, that method of dealing with procrastination is a fairly long way down the list of rules to implement, with many of the earlier rules expected to be in place before you take that one on.

In contrast, the J.O.T. method captures Rule 1 of time surfing (do one thing, finish it) really well, and creates a physical anchor to the action which helps to begin embedding rule 2 (be aware of what you are doing and accept it) into one's daily life. In addition, the requirement to continue rewriting and working with a given action forces some of the same sort of questions that Rule 5 (the procrastination rule) in Time Surfing bring up, but through a more indirect route.

In this sense, I think this sort of practice, whether Mark's Simplest No-list Method, J.O.T., or even maybe a What's Better list from DREAMS has a lot of power to attack procrastination.

Wow, that was quite a brain vomit. :-)
September 3, 2023 at 3:51 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Mark H.

<< Perhaps we need to confront directly whatever it is... >>

Maybe it's death anxiety? Or least Dr. Peter Attia and Oliver Burkeman think so.

More here: Time, productivity, and purpose: insights from Four Thousand Weeks
https://peterattiamd.com/oliverburkeman/
September 3, 2023 at 4:07 | Registered Commenteravrum
A quote from my first book "Get Everything Done":

"The question is not what priority something is, but whether it should be done at all"
September 3, 2023 at 8:50 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I've recommended on multiple occasions in my books and on this blog that one of the best ways to get yourself moving is to write down what you are going to do next, do it and then repeat the process.

I haven't read the JOT book, but is this basically what it recommends?
September 3, 2023 at 8:54 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark F:

<<I haven't read the JOT book, but is this basically what it recommends?>>

Yes, it's basically a longer winded and more heavily justified and contextualized version of your Simplest No-list Method. The J.O.T. stands for "Just One Thing" with the pun of Jotting things down.

i'd say that the main distinction between J.O.T. and what I've read of your own stuff is the insistence on finishing the task, and on rewriting the task until you can do it and have confidence in finishing it.
September 3, 2023 at 9:22 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron:

Thanks.

In this context there's a mental strength exercise in the introduction to my first book "Get Everything Done". Note that this is an exercise like weight-training and not intended to be a fully fledged system. It can be worked in conjunction with any time management system or none.

1. Decide on one thing you are going to do tomorrow without fail. Make it easy enough so you are confident that you will do it.

2. If you fail to do it, select something else for the following day which is even easier.

3. If you succeed in doing it, select something slightly more difficult for the the following day.

3. Continue this way until you are consistently doing the most difficult task you can think of each day.

4. Now make it two easy tasks per day, and increase the difficulty each day as before.

5. Continue increasing the number of tasks until you arrive at the point where you can list every task you are going to do the next day and know for sure that you will do the lot without fail.
September 3, 2023 at 10:09 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Such good comments, thank you so much. I will read it over again, and think about it more.
I did start a thread on this book a while ago.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2788823
September 3, 2023 at 14:04 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Unbelievable, sitting right under my nose: http://www.oliverburkeman.com/onething
September 4, 2023 at 3:01 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum:

I really liked that interview with Oliver Burkeman!
September 5, 2023 at 2:54 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
And Day 3's task is "Gather Papers for Tax Return".

"Do Tax Return" will be quite a few days down the road!
September 5, 2023 at 12:59 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
When the topic turns to procrastination, I will reference Dr. Timothy Pychyl's research on procrastination. A good summary is here:

Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control) - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/smarter-living/why-you-procrastinate-it-has-nothing-to-do-with-self-control.html

The nut of the situation is:

"In a 2013 study, Dr. Pychyl and Dr. Sirois found that procrastination can be understood as “the primacy of short-term mood repair … over the longer-term pursuit of intended actions.” Put simply, procrastination is about being more focused on “the immediate urgency of managing negative moods” than getting on with the task, Dr. Sirois said."

The article runs down the usual solutions we're all familiar with: practice self-compassion, just get started, be mindful of your future self, and so on.

It goes back to the old self-help conundrum: people can achieve anything they want if they can put up with a little discomfort, and people will do anything to avoid feeling discomfort.

Pychyl is now a retired academic but maintains a web site at https://www.procrastination.ca/. His home page links to many podcast and print interviews he's done.
September 5, 2023 at 16:48 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
avrum,

I recognized that article and realized I had seen it on HackerNews, so here's the discussion of that article there, if anyone's interested: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=36253882

Anyway, I've recently done two techniques that I think fit in this thread:

List one thing at a time, then do incrementing time boxes on it (1 min, 2 min, 3 min, ... 7 min, is usually enough, most only taking 1 or 2 minutes)

List one thing at a time, and treat it like a doctor doing patient rounds, do what needs to be done with it today, but keep it on the list to check again tomorrow.
September 5, 2023 at 21:36 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Don R:

<<List one thing at a time, and treat it like a doctor doing patient rounds, do what needs to be done with it today, but keep it on the list to check again tomorrow >>

My wife and I were engaged during her medical residency, she abhorred patient rounds. Your approach would give her a panic attack.

However, I'm not a doctor, and really like the metaphor. Any hospital floor can only hold a certain number of patients, and then you have turn people away (send them to another hospital). Doctors and residents visit the same people each day to observe progress or setbacks, and respond accordingly. I really like your idea.

I have a good sense of what my regular "patients" look like, so I'm using the "don't break the chain" idea to see how many commitments I can string together during my discretionary time.
September 5, 2023 at 22:17 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum,

Slight modification. Rather than "rounds" it could be like patient list in a clinic, where you can have them come back a specific amount of time in the future (e.g. monthly tasks, weekly, or varying amounts of time). So you'd need some kind of reminder system. I'm thinking like a tickler file. And you could also keep "medical records" so to speak which is a piece of paper to track information about that specific item so you can refer to it again when you're working on it. This would let you keep up with more things spread over time.
September 6, 2023 at 17:08 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
Don R,

I read this whole page. It was interesting to see that someone uses the Mark Forster method FVP.
I think a reminder system is essential if one has appointments or meetings with other people, and joint projects.
September 6, 2023 at 17:21 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.