To Think About . . .

The price of inaction is far greater than the cost of making a mistake. Meister Eckhart

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Recent discussion on Open and Closed Lists

In a previous thread, I mentioned this podcast: https://peterattiamd.com/oliverburkeman/

The interviewee - Oliver Burkeman - is a well known journalist and author. His most recent book is titled: "Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals"

Anyway, in the above podcast @ the 1:24:45 mark, he recommends using two lists (open and closed) and feeding the open list with 5 tasks. UH HELLO... I think I know another Brit who suggests that very technique.

C'mon Burkeman, a bit of credit to the original would have been nice, no?
September 3, 2023 at 14:08 | Registered Commenteravrum
To be fair, Burkeman has written plenty of nice things about me over the years.
September 3, 2023 at 17:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Mark:

He seems like a lovely guy. However I never heard of closed/open lists until I read your work. Dr Peter Attia has a **huge** following - so it's shame the listeners won't discover all of your other gems.
September 3, 2023 at 22:00 | Registered Commenteravrum
I think Burkeman has written directly of the 5/2 method when he reviewed SoPP on his blog a while back.

In the 4000 Weeks book, Burkeman I think highlights the Personal Kanban method as the quintessential closed/open list method that most people are familiar with vs. Mark's methods.

So, I also think it would have been nice to put a few more citations for Mark, but to be somewhat gracious to Burkeman, he was referring to a wide phenomenon of WIP limiting systems, of which Mark's are one (rather large) set.
September 6, 2023 at 1:38 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
I found this book in the bookstore yesterday. I looked in the index and there are no references listed there to Mark Forster. However, I did notice that there was a reference to the book Personal Kanban, and the book mentioned the method of having no more than 3 things you are working on at a time, limiting the amount of work, and when you finished with two replacing them.
September 6, 2023 at 3:55 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.