To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > How long have you been here?

It occurred to me, I think I've been on this forum now for over 15 years. And there are several who have been here longer than I have. This is the longest I have participated in any online forum (by far). It has been a great community and I can't count the ways it has benefited me.

If you don't mind, please share how long you have been here, and what kind of impact Mark Forster, this site, and this community have had on your life.
September 12, 2023 at 22:04 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I see posts of mine dating back to the year 2011.
September 12, 2023 at 22:53 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Seraphim:

<<how long you have been here>>

2009 - recently married, no kids (now I have three), no books (I've published three) and on the cusp of opening a private practice. Whatever success I've had, Autofocus and DWM were somehow involved.

<<what kind of impact Mark Forster, this site, and this community have had on your life>>

It's 2023, and I still think of ways to introduce little-and-often, dismissal, scanning and standing out in my current workflow.

Other than Gmail and the weather network, this is one of the only sites I peruse daily.
September 12, 2023 at 23:06 | Registered Commenteravrum
Hard to tell, but I see a comment of mine from 2016.

I think the biggest impact has been the concept of little-and-often and and the concept of scanning or randomizing vs. dogmatic "prioritizing"

Perhaps the continued benefit from this forum/community and even the blog posts is the emphasis on regularly refining and exploring they way we work. The world keeps changing and I love the new ideas that are presented here as a way to step back and say "is this still the best way to do this?" Sometimes it is best to stay with what is working and sometimes it's time to explore and evolve.
September 12, 2023 at 23:33 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
I found a comment from me from from February 10, 2011 on the rules for Superfocus. I searched my sent mail in gmail and found when I told someone I knew about Final Version in 2012. I actually thought it was longer! Do It Tomorrow is from 2008 so now I'm wondering if I used DIT after SuperFocus and/or FV or before.

Autofocus version 4 came out in 2009 and I definitely was following along when that came out. (Or was I??? Could have gone back to old systems to try them out...) I have some old notebooks around, maybe something would show up in those haha
September 13, 2023 at 0:01 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
(correction, Do It Tomorrow was originally published in the UK in 2006. That's the version I originally had.)
September 13, 2023 at 0:08 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
I think I started posting in 2021 or thereabouts.

However, I have this distinct impression that I may have looked into something like AutoFocus quite a bit earlier than that. I think I didn't really appreciate or understand what was going on with it at the time, and so I didn't stick with it, though. I think it's always been "there" in my mind, but without much form until 2021 when I really began to get into things.
September 13, 2023 at 14:15 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
avrum wrote:
<< It's 2023, and I still think of ways to introduce little-and-often, dismissal, scanning and standing out in my current workflow. >>

Yes, those all seem second nature to me now. I use those concepts every day, whether or not I happen to be using any particular time management system. Brilliant concepts.
September 13, 2023 at 14:58 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Brent wrote:
<< the concept of scanning or randomizing vs. dogmatic "prioritizing" >>

Yes, I think when Autofocus (AF1) first came out, it was the first time I felt "permission" to follow my intuition. That was really helpful for me -- a real breakthrough.

I had always liked taking chaos, finding the intrinsic order, and figuring out simple ways to handle it. But I would get stuck if I couldn't find the intrinsic order right off.

Scanning / standing out made it into a much simpler, intuitive process. I could surf the chaos quite a lot longer, till a better sense of the intrinsic order would finally emerge. And in the meantime, I could stay up with the most urgent things.

This reminds me of the concepts Andy Grove talks about in his article, "Let Chaos Reign, then Rein In Chaos" -- http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/faculty-research/working-papers/let-chaos-reign-then-rein-chaos-repeatedly-managing-strategic

The random methods demonstrated so plainly how task prioritization is so much less valuable and important than we tend to imagine. The thing that matters is what we have on the list in the first place -- which comes from our commitments. Mark had been saying that at least as early as the DIT book, but Randomizer drove the point home in such a definitive way. This was another breakthrough for me.
September 13, 2023 at 15:08 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Don R -

I also first discovered Mark through Do It Tomorrow -- must have been in 2008. Then got on his mailing list just in time for the Autofocus pre-announcements. That brought me to this site in early 2009. It's been a great journey.
September 13, 2023 at 15:10 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
February 11, 2009... moments after Lifehacker published their post on Autofocus (https://lifehacker.com/autofocus-is-a-single-paper-based-list-organization-sy-5151111).

Since then, I've tried nearly every system MF has developed, and many of the forum tweaks. I also read and implemented Dreams, which I credit, at least in part, to getting a new job, moving to a new place and adopting a child.

The other MF systems helped me hone in on full capture without worrying about categorization (e.g. is this a task or a project, working "little and often," and when needed, just focus on opening the folder"

And I learned and enjoyed the group and the conversations!
September 13, 2023 at 16:09 | Unregistered Commentervegheadjones
I think it was January 2009. I took a sabbatical from the catholic priesthood for a year and worked as a professional mediator with the Financial Services Commission of Ontario. When I first implemented Autofocus in I think it was Feb. 2009, I was shocked that I got everything done on my plate with no effort! I had been using GTD. It was amazing. I came back as a pastor and have gone back and forth on every system Mark has developed. Now I'm back into AF2; I'm not sure what all this bouncing around means, but I'm living a good, productive and meaningful life. Thanks largely to Mark's systems (and a bit of spirituality thrown in for good measure).
September 13, 2023 at 20:56 | Unregistered CommenterPaul MacNeil
Guess I go back to 2010, always enjoy the ideas shared here. Thank you Mark and others who dream up systems and try them and report back. Look forward to new thoughts and contributors.
September 14, 2023 at 5:07 | Unregistered CommenterErin
I can't remember the year, but I remember receiving the email-newsletter for the release of Autofocus. Prior to that I tried out DIT, coming from GTD. My problem back then was how to deal with recurring tasks in a satisfying way. The "clumping" effect of the Long List is the best solution I ever encountered for that.

So I stayed.

The best individual set-ups I had were with DWM, Ultimate TMS, PTMS, AF1 and FV, and DREAMS.

Here is why I think AF1 > FVP: When you scan and something stands out, with AF1 you leverage that momentum and jump into doing that task. With FVP, you make a dot and leave.

The "thinking out loud" aspect of the community here taught me a lot in my thinking about time management. Without the forums here I would have stayed in a lot of "circular reasoning" traps a lot longer.

I do enjoy the high level of comprehension of these things that everybody here seems to have. That leads to interesting comments, that more often than not move my thinking forward. I basically read everything posted here. It's worth my time.

Most of the community systems as well as most of MF's systems and virtually all the other stuff out there: I did not even give it a go.

Reason being: I like a TMS to be elegant. I can't remember if that was one of MF's 7 prerequisites for the best TMS, but it certainly is one of mine. Something like e.g. DREAMS is enjoyable for me to use just because of that quality of elegance.

I sincerely cannot say how much MF's thinking on time management helped me. I read all his books and all his blog posts.

Two of the most important understandings are "little and often", which instilled in me the confidence to being able to tackle and complete virtually every project I could wish to endeavour in.

Another would be the establishing of routines and systems as the basis for success. This understanding has given me the stamina to not loose my nerves when engaging in longer projects and instead exercise some patience.
September 14, 2023 at 13:23 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher
I found my first comment, I think, posted in 2006 to this blog post: http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2006/9/28/its-not-an-option.html

I can't remember how I found Mark's site, but I was (and still am) seriously into time management systems; in 2005, I'd started a new job after a long layoff, and in 2006 I was starting grad school for a mid-life masters; I remember DIT had just been published that summer and I devoured it. I remember subscribing to his newsletter when he was doing that.

In addition to all the other concepts mentioned earlier that have become part of my mental toolkit, I'd add starting on the non-urgent project now, "just get the file out," the principle of continuous revision for writing, and something I ran across in one of his seminar promotions: the hazard of saying "just one more thing." When I hear myself say that, that's a cue to STOP and go to bed.

And as silly as it may sound, the idea of the Lenten challenge. I've come to really look forward to that every year.

OH -- and asking myself "How good am I feeling right now?" and giving myself a score out of 10. I think he describes this under "the most important article I ever wrote" or something like that. I've shared that with friends and it's such a good intuitive way of taking my mental/emotional temperature.

I could go on! I hope Mark goes on!
September 14, 2023 at 14:19 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Since 2011 I think. I read Mark's first two books and there was mention of his website in DIT I think. Since then a daily visitor and a very occasional commenter.
September 14, 2023 at 16:25 | Registered CommenterCaibre65
About 2008
September 14, 2023 at 17:22 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
When I look through my email archive, I started to receive Mark's Time Freedom Coach newsletter in January 2009. I bought my first Mark Forster book How to Live Your Dreams" in July 2010.(I have all of them now). I don't post much, but over the years, I have read almost all of the posts on the website. I find Mark's FVP system to be the most effective I have ever used.
September 18, 2023 at 0:49 | Unregistered CommenterPaul B From Canada
After reading the book "Do It Tomorrow". I found the site and joined in February 2012
The 12th of March, the message "The Final Version is here!" was posted.
These systems and the community have meant a lot. I can always come here and find inspiration and another way to deal with my tasks. Thanks to Mark and everyone!
September 18, 2023 at 9:22 | Unregistered CommenterTobba
I believe my first post was a couple of weeks after AF was introduced - IIRC, I wasn't sure if I was doing it correctly so had questions about what I was doing. Prior to that, I first started lurking on Mark's site and forum / getting his newsletter and using some of his methods maybe around 2006-7? Really liked doing the spinning plates/incremental increase time method, couldn't make DIT work for me, etc. I had been trying to shoehorn myself into timeboxing for years because it had worked when life was simpler but it just wasn't working for me and hadn't been the more my life responsibilities grew. I had a hard time accepting limits to commitments. :-)

I still use AF in conjunction with my Hobonichi Cousin weekly page - just a bit of pre-planning done on Sundays - to do a (minor) feed into the AF list. The AF list is run in a second book by entering items back to front using a (varied colour) highlighter to "cross off" so that I can do a "Done" list at the end of the day if wanted with time blocking for certain activities that need to be done at that time (eg. stock market open/close). I've tried other systems of Mark's and others over the years but I always come back to AF - with my own tweaks now as it seems to be the only way I can do 'little and often' interspersed with intense focused periods. I rarely try other methods now because what I have is working -> time management peace.

Mark's site and methods have been a huge help to me over the years. This quote is from Morgan Housel and I believe it holds true: "Most successful people are just a walking anxiety disorder harnessed for productivity." AF has been instrumental for letting go of this anxiety. If it's on the list, it's going to get (eventually) done - or I'll admit it isn't important or interesting enough to me at this time.

Thanks for the dip into nostalgia Seraphim - hope all is going well!
September 18, 2023 at 16:39 | Unregistered CommenterJacqueline
The first post on this blog was on 10 August 2006 so I guess that is how long I've been here. The subject was "Vague Goals" - which finished with the admonition "Remember that the whole point of goals is how they affect your actions in the present." - still very valid!
September 18, 2023 at 19:32 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
I see posts of mine from 2009 so around 14 years. Been spotty with my attendance however lol.
September 18, 2023 at 23:06 | Unregistered CommenterGerry
vegheadjones wrote:
<< without worrying about categorization >>

This was really important for me, too. I would always get overwhelmed with any system that relied on contexts, tags, categories, etc. Mark's systems have all been so simple to use, you can just start going immediately.
September 20, 2023 at 15:58 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Christopher wrote:
<< the establishing of routines and systems as the basis for success >>

That has been really important for me, too. I especially like how many of Mark's time management algorithms help me sort out WHICH routines and systems to focus on. DIT, AF1, AF4R and others have a built-in diagnostic effect of letting you know when things are getting out of hand. And the No-List methods were especially good at enabling routines to emerge naturally and establish themselves.
September 20, 2023 at 16:06 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim:

<<This was really important for me, too. I would always get overwhelmed with any system that relied on contexts, tags, categories, etc.>>

I've been experimenting with Apple Notes and throughout my day, create quick notes for whatever is on my mind (a la AF, DWM, etc). I'm able to generate these notes on my iPhone (which is always with me), iPad, and iMac. I let these quick notes gestate throughout the day. At night, I go through each note and decide if the note is a project, task, idea or an update for my journal.

It's working very well, so far (Appx two weeks).
September 20, 2023 at 23:28 | Registered Commenteravrum
avrum - I like simple systems like that, as long as they don't grow too fast and spiral out of control. :)
September 22, 2023 at 22:06 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Mike Brown -

<< And as silly as it may sound, the idea of the Lenten challenge. I've come to really look forward to that every year. >>

Haha, yes! Me too.

<< OH -- and asking myself "How good am I feeling right now?" and giving myself a score out of 10 >>

Yes that is a great technique -- I've found lots of other ways to apply it.

Just *observing* the data is often enough to change behavior in the right direction. There isn't always a need to write out specific actions or goals.

Generalizing this even further, there is a theme in all of Mark's work of challenging the assumptions about what makes things work, and always finding new, simpler ways of doing it. This lines up really well with the TOC principle of "inherent simplicity".

http://archive.org/details/choice0000gold/page/34/mode/2up?view=theater&q=inherent+simplicity
September 22, 2023 at 22:17 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Jacqueline -
<< Mark's site and methods have been a huge help to me over the years. This quote is from Morgan Housel and I believe it holds true: "Most successful people are just a walking anxiety disorder harnessed for productivity." AF has been instrumental for letting go of this anxiety. >>

Great quote. Yes, that resonates with me, too.

<< Thanks for the dip into nostalgia Seraphim - hope all is going well! >>

Thanks Jacqueline! Yes it's been fun to see how Mark's work and principles have impacted so many people for so long. I really like this community. Hope all is well with you, too!
September 22, 2023 at 22:20 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Mark Forster wrote:
<< Vague Goals >>

That is a great article. I really like how it drives more clarity with such simple, practical questions. I also like that it does not try to force overspecification of the goal too early (e.g., trying to make it "SMART").

Here is a link if anyone wants it:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2006/8/10/vague-goals.html
September 25, 2023 at 17:44 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I've been floating around here since 2011.

I came from the world of GTD (I made this one-sheet summary in 2004 - https://www.moehrbetter.com/gtd-advanced-workflow-diagram.html). I quickly found that Mark's ideas were effective simpler alternatives to all of my challenges trying to keep GTD going.

Here's some Techniques and Principles I learned here that I still use (most from Mark, but definitely developed and expanded with the active engagement from this community):

• Little and Often (instead of waiting for One Big Chunk Of Time)
• Work on as long as you want, re-write if not done, cross off the original
• Use a vertical line instead of a checkmark or horizontal cross-off
• Closed Lists
• Simple Scanning
• 5 Best Ideas (write 5 per day for 5 days, not looking at the previous day until the end)
• No-List (decide what's next, write it down, work on it immediately, repeat, end the day with a long crossed-off list of things you intentionally did - so many benefits)
• Organize by halving
• Sufficient, regular, focused attention
• "The time you spend on systems usually repays itself thousands of times over."
• Noguchi folder filing system (shelf of items, take out and use one, always put it back on the same end, creates a useful "recents" sorting order)
• How To Make Your Dreams Come True (describe your Ideal Future Self with "I" statements, then journal an imagined conversation with your Ideal Future Self every day, and that imagined self asks you What's Better Today?, and you answer and talk back and forth. Stunning how well it works.)
• All Three of Mark's books have novel, simple ideas that seem to get to the heart of why your current methods might not be working well.
• The whole ongoing experimental nature of Mark's Myriad Methods, showing how the tiniest adjustment can sometimes make a profound difference.
• The way Mark seems to bring an honesty to the quest for better ways of tracking and filtering and choosing and acting. Not just methods, but the principles behind them. You can't hide behind things that you want to work but that really aren't working.

Bottom line, I currently don't use any of the complete systems, but parts of them permeate my work approach every day. Hmm, I take that back. I use No-List as written. When I'm feeling like I have more than I can possibly do, and I don't even want to look at my lists, a paper No-List instantly makes me feel better. It's so intentional and realistic and in the moment.

So thank you Mark, and everyone else here who has banded together to read and try and experiment and share. I'm quite sure the ripples extend well beyond the horizon you can see.
September 27, 2023 at 5:04 | Unregistered CommenterScott Moehring
Scott - that's a great list!
September 27, 2023 at 18:45 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
"Use a vertical line instead of a checkmark or horizontal cross-off".

Good summary. I don't recall this though. Can someone explain this?
September 28, 2023 at 18:16 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Mark: Suppose you are working in a ruled notebook. When you finish a task, mark a vertical line in the left margin, between the two ruled lines surrounding it. If you keep doing this, it becomes blatant where you have yet to finish, much more than other notation methods.
September 28, 2023 at 21:54 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Mark H. and Alan

The original suggestion (which is the one I still use myself) is to use the vertical line in conjunction with the horizontal cross-off. Where there are two or more adjacent crossed-off tasks the dots in the margin (where the cross-offs start from) are joined by the vertical line.

I haven't used the method mentioned by Alan myself, but there's no reason you can't use it if you want to. If it works well, give him the credit, not me!
September 28, 2023 at 22:21 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
Yes, I do do this. Thanks.
September 29, 2023 at 1:53 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
of course the crossing out the text is also necessary.
September 29, 2023 at 20:12 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I've been lurking for years, though I think I finally started posting in 2021.

As to the impact it's had on my productivity, hard to say. I don't think I'm really a "little and often" person; I generally don't like to touch a task more than once a day, and will usually stay with it till it's done (or substantial process has been made).

I still maintain the basic mechanics of crossing out tasks when actioned and adding them to the end of the list, it's kinda fun and shows you what's "active".

I do appreciate this place as the only place on the internet one can have a technical decision about the mechanics of choosing tasks from a list!
September 30, 2023 at 15:14 | Unregistered CommenterVirix
^technical discussion (typo in last paragraph)
September 30, 2023 at 15:17 | Unregistered CommenterVirix
I’m with you Virix. I also never stuck with “little and often” I will sporadically do a little of a task, but I won’t make such a task on a list to be crossed off. If I decide it’s time to tackle something, I either complete it, or I do a’ chunk and put the rest off for another day. I’m not saying this is more effective, I just didn’t like repeatedly logging minutia.

Moving tasks to the end of a list when work has been done is also my most consistent take away from this site, just it’s bigger chunks than Mark often has.
October 2, 2023 at 2:05 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu:

"I either complete it, or I do a chunk and put the rest off for another day"

Doing a chunk and putting the rest off for another day is "little and often". At least it is if the "another day" isn't months down the line.
October 2, 2023 at 10:37 | Registered CommenterMark Forster
In Jan 2023, I purchased a plastic model (Israeli Tank - Merkava 3d). The store owner provided a warning:

"This model has a lot of little pieces, it ain't the type of model you built as a kid."

Phhht, what does he know. Appx 15 min into working on the kit, I was ready to throw the thing at my wall. A lot of "Little and Often" sessions - over many weeks and months - allowed me to get out of my own way and finish the kit :)
October 2, 2023 at 14:12 | Registered Commenteravrum
Mark: The distinction I would make is I tend not to have tasks on the list that take less than 30 minutes. If I were to pick a task from the list to do (for comparison, think FVP process), I intend to do more than a few minutes of it, and not more than a dozen items per day. Some of this may still be called "little and often", but it's an order of magnitude different from how you'd size your activities.
October 2, 2023 at 19:00 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I've been here at least since 2010. However, I also remember receiving the original announcement of Autofocus (or its immediate precursor). It has been written above that the newsletter was sent in 2009, so I've probably been here even longer.

However, the dizzying array of ever-changing 'systems', including several 'final', 'ultimate' (not sure that was a thing) or whatever versions, has lost me, so I largely stopped participating, and only stopped by every once in a while.

BTW, the whole registration/logins system has gone out of the window in the meantime?
October 5, 2023 at 16:08 | Unregistered Commenteralexw
Found the login button now. But the forum software keeps rejecting my (totally correct as per my database) password.
October 5, 2023 at 17:19 | Unregistered Commenteralexw
Been on here since the noughties and STILL trying to decide between no-list and catch-all list.
October 6, 2023 at 22:13 | Unregistered CommenterIanS