To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Results That Matter (RTM) - how is it working out for you?

Several people have begun posting feedback and results on their RTM usage. I thought I'd start a separate thread for any additional updates people might have.

Main RTM post - http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2795362

For myself, it keeps getting better and better, more focus and more momentum, despite ongoing health issues. I've been knocking out several backlogs and preventing them from re-appearing.

Keeping the unfinished projects in order of creation, and always reviewing them in that order, really helps with the "attenuation" dynamic. I might skip over some of these projects for several days but then I finally just feel like "OK I just have to get this done now!" and bang! I get it done. It always feels so good to get those things off my list.

I've also been experimenting with different formats:
-- At work, I've standardized on Asana, since that is what everyone uses where I work. It's been great.
-- For personal, I started with a Moleskine notebook that I split into three sections using "Post-it Durable Tabs". That worked fine. I especially liked to flip through the completed stuff in the Unfinished section -- the things that finally got done. It gave me a real sense of progress and accomplishment to see how much stuff I was getting done.
-- Then I switched to a Planner Pad, just to try a different format ( https://plannerpads.com/why-it-works ). I tried it for a couple weeks, and it also worked fine. I entered New tasks into the long lined page at the beginning of each month; Unfinished tasks into the next available column at the top of each page; and Recurring tasks onto the dated middle group of lines. This all seemed to work fine. I liked using the dated sections for Recurring -- it worked a little better than just a straight undated simple list.
-- Then I switched to OneNote. There are lots of ways you could set up Unfinished, New, and Recurring there. It is working especially well for me.

All of these have worked really well. Personally I like OneNote the best, and will probably stick with it. But it's nice to know RTM is simple enough that it can be implemented in any of these formats and apps.
November 8, 2023 at 23:48 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Thanks for starting this thread, Seraphim, and thanks especially for developing RTM.

As I mention in the earlier thread I have been using RTM to feed a daily timeblock schedule. Here is how I do it:

Day 1 using the system:

All new tasks go into Microsoft Todo. Then I build a timeblock schedule, reviewing the tasks and adding the ones I want to do today to the "My Day" in Todo. I transfer those tasks to a paper schedule. And I follow it as best as I can.

Note: I think people feel that a timeblock schedule must be followed with strict fidelity, not for me, I use it to gauge what I should do that day and about how much time I would like to spend on it. I also like to put high value tasks in the beginning of the day and lower value tasks later in the day). If I get some of my timeblock schedule done in a day I feel good :)

If I finish a task and I want to do it regularly, I add a repeat to it (daily, weekly, etc) and move it to the recurring folder in Todo). If I start a task but do not finish it, I move it to the unfinished folder in toto and add a link to a OneNote page dedicated to that task.

Day 2(and beyond) I build my timeblock schedule by reviewing the unfinished tasks I want/need to work on, then the recurring, then any new tasks, I make a timeblock schedule out of that, and get things done.

If anyone is interested in knowing more about how to timeblock with RTM (or interested in Microsoft Todo which is a powerful, but quirky) free app that works on phone and desktop I am happy to share more.
November 9, 2023 at 14:18 | Unregistered Commentervagheadjones
For Recurring in RTM I have substituted my calendar: appointments, and repeated tasks are all roughly scheduled. In place of a physical or digital calendar system I use a manual algorithm in my outliner to accomplish the same function. All tasks are in rough chronological order, and only today's tasks are visible until it's time to extract the things to be done tomorrow.

So top-level view, my RTM has 3 parts on a single page:
- Today's routine tasks, including one-off events that are today-only.
- All (active) unfinished projects (each with a defined short-term goal, and linked to details)
- New (inbox) tasks, which can each be either dropped, worked on, or filed.

Respecting time blocking I have the same sentiment as jones (are you no longer veggie, or is that a typo?). Today's routine tasks establish the frame, and I mentally consider where I can fit in project work and new work to get rough blocks. If a project becomes a priority, I will promote it to my calendar for regular attention, but otherwise I will tackle whatever stands out when I have time to address things.

Prior to RTM, I was doing a rough time block of all the day's tasks, so limiting this to only routine items is a departure.
November 9, 2023 at 19:18 | Unregistered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Thanks Alan, bad typo on my part. Still a veghead-- I've been vegan since 1997 :)
November 9, 2023 at 21:44 | Unregistered Commenter*VEG* headjones
<<Keeping the unfinished projects in order of creation, and always reviewing them in that order, really helps with the "attenuation" dynamic.>>

I'm finding this negatively affects me, so I'm shifting to moving projects to the end. Then whatever's at the top is being neglected.
November 10, 2023 at 19:40 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
After 3 weeks, I have also good luck with the RTM.

I am going old school and using composition style notebook to make sure the kinks are worked out before automating it using a Mac friendly tool stack (Things vs. TickTick + Upnote)

My favorite feature is the ability to go and hack away at the Unfinished queue.

The area I am still struggling is how to prioritize urgent/new things over recurring/unfinished at the start of the day.

Thanks again for this great innovation, @Seraphim.
November 12, 2023 at 20:48 | Unregistered CommenterSankar
vegheadjones -

<< I have been using RTM to feed a daily timeblock schedule >>

Interesting approach!

At work we have a "daily huddle" where we tell everyone what we are planning to do that day (high level). So I end up doing something similar to you. First I scan for any meetings, then I scan my unfinished items and jot down 1-2 things I think I will focus on. Then I scan New and Recurring for anything that may take up a chunk of the day, and also add those.

Then I forget about it and just work my list as normal. But it is helpful to do this quick review -- it gives a sense of how much time I have in the day to get things done, and where to focus.

How do you actually build out the timeblock schedule? Do you do it on paper? electronically? within ToDo?
November 16, 2023 at 21:50 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Alan Baljeu -

<< For Recurring in RTM I have substituted my calendar: appointments, and repeated tasks are all roughly scheduled. >>

Many of my recurring items also end up as recurring appointments or reminders in Outlook, especially if I want to do them at a specific time or on a specific day. But they start on my Recurring list, and I let them evolve as needed.

<< So top-level view, my RTM has 3 parts on a single page >>

That is very similar to how it works for me in Asana.

<< Today's routine tasks establish the frame, and I mentally consider where I can fit in project work and new work to get rough blocks. >>

Yes, this is one of the things that emerges with AF4R and RTM and other systems that treat recurring tasks as their own category. These things become more clear:
(1) what a large percentage of our total tasks are recurring things
(2) that these represent our systems and processes that form the basic structure of our day and week

Once they are separated out like that, it becomes much easier to diagnose problems, develop better and simpler systems for handling these tasks, and make them into automatic habits. Then they just disappear into the background.
November 16, 2023 at 23:23 | Unregistered CommenterSeraphim
Sankar --

<< After 3 weeks, I have also good luck with the RTM. >>

Very glad to hear that it is working for you!

<< I am going old school and using composition style notebook to make sure the kinks are worked out before automating it >>

That's exactly what I did also -- using a notebook, then migrating to Asana for work and OneNote for personal.

<< My favorite feature is the ability to go and hack away at the Unfinished queue. >>

Yes, mine too! It always gives me a sense of accomplishment. I feel like I am focusing more and more on the most important work.

<< The area I am still struggling is how to prioritize urgent/new things over recurring/unfinished at the start of the day. >>

The system is designed to help resolve this conflict, by starting with the Unfinished. This ensures you always have a good awareness of your overall load of work-in-progress. This awareness helps keep your whole workload intuitive and manageable. And this in turn allows you to keep up with all the urgent and recurring things, and to keep them in the proper perspective.

Urgent things are often illusions. They can seem urgent, and we acquiesce to the sense of urgency, because it is a welcome distraction from the frustration and drudgery of dealing with constant overwhelm. And it seems like we are doing something important -- when in fact it can be causing us to get further and further behind on the *more* important things that will really move our work forward.

In contrast, if we are focused on the Unfinished, and maintain a good sense of our overall workload, direction, and momentum, then it's much easier to assess intuitively the real urgency of new incoming demands.

Likewise, it often seems really important to keep "inbox zero" and keep all our recurring systems completely up-to-date. But this can end up being a distraction -- just empty busy-work. I think we are drawn to these relatively easy tasks, because we are stuck or overwhelmed with the larger, unfinished tasks. And so clearing our inbox or updating the KPIs or reading the weekly report or tidying up the office become displacement activities and do not serve their real purpose -- which is to support our overall goals and purposes, not as ends in themselves. So focusing on Unfinished first, helps keep all this in the right perspective. Recurring tasks are the systems and routines that help us stay focused on the larger things that really matter to us, that need our focused attention and effort.

I'm not sure if any of this addresses your own conflict between new/urgent and recurring/unfinished, but hopefully it gives you some ideas.
November 16, 2023 at 23:55 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I greatly appreciate the thought you’ve put into this, Seraphim. I’ve implemented this system in Apple Notes. It has changed the way I look at work; I love the stabilizing force of the single page (note) for the unfinished work. It lets me feel that I can instantly resume work on it the next time I’m ready. By putting the unfinished work at the top of the morning, I’m able to get back into what’s important without getting lost in less important but seemingly urgent items. Thank you.
December 2, 2023 at 15:06 | Unregistered CommenterChristopher E.
Christopher E. -- thank you! It's very encouraging to receive this feedback. Thanks for sharing it!
December 26, 2023 at 4:39 | Registered CommenterSeraphim