To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > An interesting advantage of simple scanning

I was just thinking about Re:Zero, Simple Scanning, and FVP. One interesting thing that stood out to me this time was that Re:Zero emphasizes the speed at which resistance is reduced across the entire set of items in the list. However, Simple Scanning has perhaps a unique advantage of being the system that, when operating correctly, is the fastest/least effort towards getting to an actionable item in the list. In other words, it is the least amount of scanning/organization per unit of action. AF1 and FVP are pretty close, but both will tend, over time, to introduce additional overheads (however valuable that may or may not be). SS is just going straight from where you were, to the next viable action in a single direction, around and around the list.

I think there's something valuable in this. It's also one of the advantages no-list systems have, in that in the moment they take you from organization to doing in a very short amount of time.
January 30, 2024 at 2:50 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron,

A long list, with Simple Scanning, can be fast moving. The organizing that I do - I number each item from the start of each day to the finish, and then start again numbering afresh the next day, so I see how many items I have on a day. (However, it might be interesting to start numbering for a week, or even a month.) I handwrite in a notebook, but a computer can much more easily keep track of the number of items.

So I have all the items organized by date, and will rewrite items forward by when I will likely do the item again. I also tend to write new items on tomorrow's date. This reduces the number of items reviewed.

However, there is time taken up by writing, crossing out, and rewriting, and scanning. So perhaps compared to other ways it is just as time-consuming. One has to get in the habit of writing down items, and doing it over a period of time, at least several days, and have the habit of re-reading the items. And then crossing the item out, and then rewriting it. However, at this point, this is where the effectiveness really takes off. When you decide whether to rewrite, if it is repeating routine, you can forward it to a future date. If it is project-related, you can write the next action. If it is a book you are reading, you can write the page to start reading next.
If you set up an appointment, you can write an item to remind the other party. Keeping all the items together without categorizing increases the speed of finding, but also the execution, and also the followup.

If you always write new items in the same place, and always review in the same place, this simplifies the process.

However, this approach probably works well with "little and often", granular items, short tasks.
January 31, 2024 at 5:44 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.