To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > Lenten Challenge Advice and Suggestions

For those of you who made the best of past Lenten Challenges - what have you learned that you're willing to share. Did you find regular check-ins on this site to be helpful? If you stuck to the same system throughout the entire challenge - what supported your resolve?

I've only dipped my toe into this process, and would like to make the best use of this space and opportunity.
February 4, 2024 at 15:34 | Registered Commenteravrum
I can't say that I've had the most success, but I do think that I've had reasonable success. I think the thing that helps the most is recognizing that every system usually has sufficient flexibility to support most of the days work one way or another, even if it might not feel the best in the moment. As long as I remember that the period is temporary and that I am aiming to maximize the usage of a given system, rather than trying to find the perfect system "right now," then I can usually calm any fears or struggles I might have and focus on hyper-optimizing the specific system I'm using then, rather than trying to find a new one. That will usually get me through the Lenten period, usually.

I'm still trying to decide whether I want to stick with Time Surfing or do something else!
February 7, 2024 at 21:14 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
And there have been many challenges where Mark himself taps out quickly, surprising even himself! The great thing about the challenge is it fences off a part of the calendar so you can really either come to grips with a system or discover that it really isn't for you and WHY. Sharing our experiences on the forum is a great way to keep personal motivation going.
February 8, 2024 at 15:06 | Unregistered CommenterMike Brown
Aaron:

<<As long as I remember that the period is temporary...>>

Ain't that the truth. The opposite is also true i.e. As long as I remember that the (honeymoon) period of a new system is temporary...

Thanks.
February 9, 2024 at 1:21 | Registered Commenteravrum
i don’t have a good answer beyond picking a system that works. I am going to try another Lenten practice that i think will be complementary: Doing less.
February 12, 2024 at 18:20 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
For me, the most valuable thing is just seeing what systems people are using — what kinds of things are getting traction — which systems keep coming back year after year — what do people use as their fallback system, when some new experiment doesn't work out.
February 13, 2024 at 21:35 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I've never been able to stick to any system for very long. I guess I had some more extensive time periods with DIT if you ignore the fact that I left items behind on previous days I'd have to check and copy forward. I've had a good run with updating and printing a new daily checklist every day. I tried it again recently but only lasted 2 days (Jan 5 & 6). FVP tends to be my go-to when I feel overwhelmed and need to sort out what to take on. Resistance Zero seems to be the system that felt the most likely to succeed with. And most recently, I found out about something called Interstitial Journaling (see https://nesslabs.com/interstitial-journaling ). I just looked at my journal and see I started that 8 days ago but I've started to fall off it of today/yesterday.
February 13, 2024 at 22:28 | Unregistered CommenterDon R
i noticed Seraphim you didn’t register!
February 14, 2024 at 4:32 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Alan Baljeu -

Yeah, I am not sure I am ready to put anything down. I am still doing RTM at work, implemented in Asana. That is going fine, and I plan to continue.

But for personal stuff, I'm kind of doing an experiment. It started with RTM, then I tried implementing it using index cards (inspired by Brent and Avrum - http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2768953 ). And that has been evolving and sparking some new ideas.

I mainly want to sort out the new ideas I've been exploring on the relationship between intuition and deliberation, and how it all relates to time management. I wrote a little about it here:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2796725

Putting down "RTM for work" but nothing specific for personal doesn't seem aligned with the purpose of the Lenten Challenge, so I haven't made an entry.

(And I'm very glad to see you are still making headway with RTM! I'd love to hear more about your experience with it.)
February 14, 2024 at 7:04 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Seraphim: see the Lenten challenge progress reports!
February 16, 2024 at 0:16 | Unregistered CommenterAlan Baljeu