To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > System 1 vs System 2 in time management

I wrote this in response to "michael" on the RTM thread, but thought I should make a separate thread out of it, since this theme comes up over and over again.

Originally posted here:
http://markforster.squarespace.com/forum/post/2795362#post2796724

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

michael -

<< So perhaps before wrting any task lists - using the rational mind - one should ask what is getting better, moving from push-mode to pull-mode (the intuitive mind: vision, What's better?, future self), as Mark calls it in Dreams. >>

Interesting. I've been wondering about the role of intuition vs deliberation (Kahneman's System 1 and System 2). Most of Mark's systems are basically structures to help make intuition effective in choosing where to focus. Get us out of operating in System 2, and more in System 1, since System 1 is where we have speed and ease and flow. System 2 requires deliberate thought and problem-solving.

System 1 is more aligned with Pull Mode, System 2 with Push Mode.

The same thing happens in factories that use JIT / Kanban / TOC and similar methodologies. Most of the time, things just flow. When flow is disrupted, these methods give very clear signals and tell you "Now is the time to engage System 2 -- investigate, troubleshoot, expedite, etc."

DIT has a similar mechanism -- if you fall behind for more than 2-3 days, this is the signal that it's time to intervene -- go do an audit of your commitments, and make some decisions what you will cut. The day-to-day routine with DIT is System 1 -- automatic, intuitive, flow-based. The audit of commitments escalation triggers System 2 -- evaluate, deliberate, assess, troubleshoot, refocus, reprioritize.

I think this is a key to developing a sustainable personal system. Run as much as possible automatically, with pull and intuitive flow. And establish clear signals when the flow is disrupted and you need more deliberative intervention, with a clear plan of action what to do when that happens. A checklist, for example, is a great tool to make the intervention itself into a clear focused process that has its own kind of flow.

I think RTM has taught me several good principles. But ultimately, this system (like any long-list system) requires that you maintain a strong intuition for the overall contents of the list. If it grows too large, then it all breaks down, because you can't maintain that intuition.

But we know from methods like Dreams and No-List that there are other ways to maintain a very strong intuitive grasp of your overall work and priorities. "Maintaining a strong intuition for the overall contents of the list" is only a requirement if you actually have a list. Throwing the list away and doing something like No-List or Dreams or Time Surfing is arguably a *better* way at maintaining a strong intuition for your overall direction of life and work.

So why do so many of us find ourselves going back and forth between long-list and short-list or no-list systems?

Perhaps it has something to do with the fundamental limitations of System 1. It relies on heuristics, which are based on many assumptions and subject to many cognitive biases. Intuition is *fast* and usually guides us *correctly*. But when we are getting into areas that are new to us (where we haven't yet developed much intuition) or complicated (where our intuition isn't capable of doing an appropriate assessment, such as working through a problem of long division), it will stumble.

I think RTM has been the most successful Long List system for me, but has still not overcome the fundamental problem with all Long List systems of ultimately growing out of control. I think my next experiments will explore No-List / Short-List / Zero-List methods and systematically addressing their limitations.
February 13, 2024 at 22:06 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I don't know if this topic has been discussed here in depth before, but it's worth a revisit, I think, and I like your assessment.

There is a general pattern that I have observed within any successful time management system which exactly mirrors your system 1 & 2 separation.

If we start with one of the big greats of intuitive time management, David Allen, and look at GTD, it's funny that DA eventually, over many years, had one major piece of advice for people that he called something like the lynchpin of the whole thing, the Weekly Review. He said, I think, something along the lines that the main reason GTD breaks down for most people is that they fail to do their weekly reviews. In an intuitive system like GTD, the Weekly Review is exactly that deliberation, system 2 thinking that DA thought was necessary to keep the thing in good health.

If you look at the no-list, DIT, Dreams, and Time Surfing methods, you find more or less the same thing.

In no-list, you have the authorized commitments list, which essentially serves as the anchor for what GTD would call the Weekly Review, and you are supposed to assess that authorized commitments list when needed.

In DIT, as mentioned, there is the assessment of system failure, which I think is mostly the same thing.

In DREAMS, you could argue that the whole thing is anchored around the Goal Achievement Method (GAM), and that, in itself, is a little like establishing and doing a review for yourself. It's also interesting that unlike some methods, your Future Vision isn't fixed, but rather, you're expected to rewrite and reengage with it on, nominally, a weekly basis. :-) This Future Vision can zoom in and out as needed, and it essentially serves as a Weekly Review and the deliberate anchoring for your intuition. All the other stuff, like self-coaching and the what's better list are tools to help build up the details.

Time Surfing, ironically, has something of the same thing. Lists are eschewed as a time management tool in the "now," but the cost of that is that there are a bunch of methods for creating just in time engagement with any piece of work to "build a relationship" with that work. This is actually quite deliberate work and is probably a system 2 sort of thing. It's that conscious visitation with your work, visualization of it, and the conscious understanding of our relationship with the work that Time Surfing argues embeds the work into a positive framework in our intuition that lets us choose what to do in the moment with confidence. But, even here, we see that Time Surfing encourages what amounts to a Weekly Review. This is where you sit down, probably with pen and paper, and write up an overview. This is where you list out your projects, tasks, things on your mind, and so forth. You draw up the connections between everything and do the thinking and organizing around the work until you feel emotionally and consciously able to understand and see your work in the large. This is pretty much exactly the GTD weekly review. Then, these checklists, reminders, thoughts, and so forth are put away or discarded completely, and you run by your intuition again, until it's time to reengage with system 2 at the appropriate interval. Time surfing permits a checklist of reminders, but you don't actually look at it, and you use it only to prime the intuition again if you need to do so because you get a signal from your intuition that it has lost a grasp on the whole. In that sense, the checklist in Time Surfing serves a lot like the Predicting Your Day list.

And then you have your long list systems, which also, in a sense, have incorporated this sort of weekly review via weeding. You're constantly reviewing your lists, so in a sense you're constantly engaging with your work, which is necessary given that you are not doing the heavier preprocessing that you would with Time Surfing or GTD. But you also need to prune your lists to make sure that things are still relevant and meaningful, which is essential to the intuition.

But, in the end, all of these systems inevitably incorporate both system 1 and 2, in one way or another, and it's remarkable how similarly all the intuitive systems incorporate system 2 thinking in very similar ways, that is, a periodic overview type process designed to clarify and refine.

And, perhaps, the main cause of system failures that we have seen all tend to be a failure to adequately leverage the appropriate symbiosis between these two modes of operation. In GTD, failure to keep up your weekly reviews destroys the system for most people (and is often cited as the main cause of failure). In long lists, failure to adequately address your list "honesty" causes the list to bog down or repel you. In no-list, failure to understand your authorized commitments causes you to overwhelm yourself and be unable to account for your responsibilities. In DREAMS, failure to engage with your vision and reflect on the interplay between your present and future can lead to drifting aimlessly and feeling stressed and insecure. In DIT, well, that's self evident. In Time Surfing, failure to gain an appropriate overview undermines your intuition and causes you to be unable to flow appropriately with your work, and failure to engage with your tasks and befriend them means that they will always be avoided in your work.

What I think all of these things have in common is that we all love a system that just works and feels good all the time, which, IMO, occurs primarily when our obligations and our commitments align with our available time, energy, and purpose; but, when the system fails, it seems often to be a case where that alignment breaks somehow. For example, I think for many of us here, that happens because our desires outstrip our capabilities. We desire to have all of this stuff done or to accomplish this or that, but as we wish more and more, which inevitably ends up somewhere in our system, or we take on more, we hit that point where there is no longer any way that we can really do it all. And then, unless we are humble and astute enough with ourselves to rapidly and accurately restrain our desires to the things that we can do, we will inevitably overwhelm ourselves and our systems.

I know that is something I'm quite guilty of. If I look into many of my system failures, they occur simply because my pride of ambition causes me to demand more than the system itself can provide, because the system itself cannot really get me to do more than I am able to sustainably accomplish.
February 15, 2024 at 3:26 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Aaron: Very interesting thoughts about what works and what doesn't.

Here are some of my own observations:

1. When critical parts of a system don't align with my reality, I lose faith/interest in the system. Example: GTD and contexts. I don't find it works, and provides needless friction. Because Allen is adamant about the function of thinking this way, I lose interest int he whole system. Or even the catalyst behind his professional growth, and uprooting his life in America and moving to Amsterdam. From his annual review, to expanding the company... her name is always mentioned.

2. Acute or chronic anxiety. If I'm ramped up with worry/anxiety about something, I find it hard to settle myself into whatever system I'm using. The more moving parts of a system, the greater the likelihood things fall apart. See John Gottman's work on emotional flooding and heart rate.

3 Relationships. Every one of my significant accomplishments had more to do with a relationship - beginning, ending, or just general support - than a system/hack/tool. I often wonder if David Allen's capture tool or his wife Katherine are more significant in his attempts at "mind like water". And while the answer is "Why can't it be both", I would argue that relationships are much more important. Other than the late S. Covey (Sharpening the Saw) or B. Sher (Isolation is a dream killer) you rarely see this component discussed in productivity literature.
February 15, 2024 at 12:39 | Registered Commenteravrum
I somewhat concur.

Regarding the weekly review, I could never get consistent with that, and I’ve found my solution: the daily review. When it’s daily, the size of the task shrinks to about 1/7th, so it’s no longer a chore to avoid. (Little & often cuts resistance.).

I concur with avrum that anxiety is an obstacle to sticking to it. And having a lot of parts is a huge obstacle, although it’s not really about the number of parts, but how much the system makes you think. Complicated systems that ask difficult questions are very easily dropped. Systems that add a lot of mechanical difficulty are abandoned. My current process is quite complex, but because I know it I don’t have to think about the complexity. And the questions it asks at a given time are simple. And the mechanics are smooth flowing. So it works.

Regarding relationships, I’m a very solo person. So I can’t relate very well to this one. Probably could benefit from a little more inter-personal. I read Sher’s advice on setting up a cheer group [ I mean supportive people in your life ] to help you pursue your goal, and I think: creating such a group would itself be a momentous goal, and if I wanted to follow her methods, I would need that cheer group to help me get a cheer group Catch-22; not sure how to get beyond that point. But I see the potential benefits.
February 15, 2024 at 22:57 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Aaron Hsu -

<< But, in the end, all of these systems inevitably incorporate both system 1 and 2, in one way or another, and it's remarkable how similarly all the intuitive systems incorporate system 2 thinking in very similar ways, that is, a periodic overview type process designed to clarify and refine. >>

Yes, exactly.

For most of these systems, the intuitive "System 1" flow of the day-to-day method is great. But the "System 2" procedure for staying on track is burdensome and creates resistance, and I think this is where these systems fail.

The System 2 component seems to be underdeveloped in comparison to the System 1 component. The intuitive components of Mark's systems, or GTD, or so many others are really brilliant. The place they fall apart is the System 2 component. Things like DIT's audit of commitments of GTD's weekly review. Maybe even AF1's dismissal falls into this category -- the fear of dismissal pulls people into System 2 to start deliberating about what to do in order to avoid dismissal.

Maybe a solution could be to develop a more intuitive model for the maintenance/recovery component, rather than making it rely on System 2 deliberation and analysis. Design that component of the system so that it also relies on intuition, ease, and speed to get things back on track.

Kind of like the Andon cord in TPS factories. You pull the cord when there is a problem on the line. The factory line stops. The manager comes to see what is happening. The manager works with the person who pulled the cord to solve the problem. Then they restart the line. This process is automatic and well-defined.

The Andon cord process follows its own rules of flow. It has been designed and optimized for fast flow, just like the main system itself is designed for fast flow.

So this becomes two complementary methods for maintaining flow. First is the flow of generating the results themselves -- managing one's day. Second is the flow of fixing the process when it gets off track.

DIT's audit of commitments and GTD's weekly review already have some element of this, but there are too many obstacles that generate resistance to these processes. Maybe if these processes were designed with as much focus on intuitive flow as the basic systems that they support were, the overall process would be more sustainable.

Instead, we mostly just beat ourselves up for allowing ourselves to get overcommitted; or maybe we try to "get back on the wagon"; or we give up on the system altogether; or we try some new system; or we just run things ad hoc for a while and wonder why we keep getting drawn back into these systems. :)
February 16, 2024 at 2:22 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I have been using simple scanning on a long list. I am beginning to do things to whittle down the list. I start the list as a catch-all list. So the items keep growing. Eventually there are so many items that I cannot review them all in a day. I have been trying to weed them as the end of the month comes closer but I think as the comments above show it needs to be done more regularly. It is true that scanning the list repeatedly is a form of review. However it is too easy just to bypass items without any thought. I think there was wisdom in the dismissal process of AF or the audit after 4 days of DIT. When an active page has only three lines or less I have been in the practice of highlighting the remaining one two or three lines on the page and then on the next pass automatically deferring them, that's reducing the number of active pages. It seems it's best to weed the list on a daily basis and I find that after about 7 days I begin to ignore the previous days so I've been trying to weed the list longer than 7 days. However this takes time. I think counting the number of items remaining per day helps. Spending 1 minute per day or one minute per page or 1 minute per item helps. The 3Ds - Do, Defer, or Delete - are the choices. When it comes down to it either we let the item remain, or we do one these. Doing one of these is actually a decision and is actually an action. Deleting it means we cross it out. Deferring it means that we cross it out and rewrite it somewhere else. Doing it means we take some action to move it forward. If we're not sure what to do we can defer it but if we're not willing to rewrite it and take the trouble to do it we should probably delete it. If we're not willing to do one minute of work on the item we should probably delete it. Having some cut-off point actually helps us do something about it rather than just let it sit there on the list.
February 18, 2024 at 3:24 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I keep pondering different ways to make the recovery / audit / review process more intuitive, more based on System 1, just like the core process.

But so far I keep coming up with more complex ideas, instead of simple heuristics.

Going to an extreme and making it as simple as possible, maybe a good heuristic for Simple Scanning could be --

"If you don't make it through your whole list in any given day, then throw away the list and start over."

:-)

(Or maybe just file it away, instead of throwing it in the trash...)

That's generally what I end up doing anyway, once a system reaches an overload point. Might as well make it into a specific rule, rather than merely drifting into system abandonment.

Also, maybe this could be a way to take advantage of the big productivity burst most of us get whenever we start a new system.

Maybe the repeated throwing away the list and starting over would also be enough of a jolt to get us to figure out why we keep getting ourselves overwhelmed. Kind of like Mark's process of writing down every day how good you feel. Just the act of writing it down tends to make you feel better. It probably does this by making you more aware of how you feel and of the various things you are doing that make you feel that way.
February 18, 2024 at 7:37 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
<<Maybe a solution could be to develop a more intuitive model for the maintenance/recovery component, rather than making it rely on System 2 deliberation and analysis. Design that component of the system so that it also relies on intuition, ease, and speed to get things back on track.>>

I don't think this is possible because you are by design excluding system 2 from your process, and your work management system can never be as functional using just system 1, as when you use your entire brain.

<<Kind of like the Andon cord in TPS factories. You pull the cord when there is a problem on the line. The factory line stops. The manager comes to see what is happening. The manager works with the person who pulled the cord to solve the problem. Then they restart the line. This process is automatic and well-defined.>>

The Andon cord is a system 1 device, but it triggers a system 2 response from the worker and the manager together. Kanban's WIP limit is similar. When your queue is full, this triggers a thoughtful response of how to get the work flowing better. I don't have a formal rule, but when I can't see all my items at once on a page, that's a signal that I need to reduce or restructure.
February 18, 2024 at 14:42 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
The simplest solution to a list that’s out of control is to delete it, but wholesale I don’t like that. The second simplest is to convert it into a closed backlog, and put a task to address the backlog in a not-out-of-control list. (Addressing the backlog is System 2.). A better system would not allow the list to become out of control. This is the purpose of the kanban limit.

My practice for old tasks is to use Do, Define or Delete to clear them. Defer also exists, but not to a date; rather, it goes into an unfinished project, and placed after a previous task that comes first. If an old task isn’t getting started, it’s probably not defined well enough and so making it more specific, or smaller in scope will enable it to move forward.

The one rule I have for old lists is that Ignore is not allowed. Something must always be chosen and one of the above options applied, so the list always goes down.

Yet still it’s possible for the overall list to get out of control, and for this I apply system 2. I think about the contents of the list when it starts to feel unwieldy, thinking how to reduce it. Finish finishable things, Delete optional things, Combine compatible things, until the list feels wieldable again. And to be clear, that size is below 50 independent items.
February 18, 2024 at 14:58 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I use a composition notebook with 100 sheets, 200 pages, one for each month, and I start a new notebook at the beginning of each month. For a few days before and after each month, I transition one notebook to another, and I have tried to weed the list. I consolidate remaining items on the back pages of the notebook, so I don't have to find them within the whole notebook. I have six pages for January which I am still reviewing, although not daily. The new notebook gives me a feeling of starting over again, and finishing a notebook gives me some pressure to weed the list and finish them, or rewrite them to next month. I average about 5 pages per day. I also keep notes on pages; I don't move these, but I keep a table of contents with the page number and subject of the note in the front of the notebook for future reference.

For several years, I had used a Moleskine notebook, which took several months to complete. I like a notebook for one month. I also like having one book to write in, in chronological order, with the pages sown together. It makes it neat and tidy.

But, I agree with the original post, and it is likely that no matter what method we choose, we will have to grapple with System 2.

If you use a long list as a catch-all list, like Autofocus, which is what I do, the list will grow. Other methods use an Unprocessed list, or New list, and you process the list at the beginning stage, and reduce the list to zero, ideally daily. Autofocus puts this off so you can get up to speed quickly, but the act of dismissal is what I see as part of the processing stage, which was put off.
February 18, 2024 at 15:30 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I read Alan's post. I might have 200 open items. I am not counting items on future dates.
I am probably ignoring too many items. This is easy to do if one is using Simple Scanning.
I am trying to reach a cut-off date of seven days, so that pages older than 7 days have all items on the page crossed out. (I think the cutoff date right now is if it will be done during the current month).
An alternative to this would be any pages older than 7 days are not reviewed daily, in effect becoming the Someday/Maybe list. Again, here is cutoff date.

My list tends to be granular, and items can be done in a minute.

I think the weeding needs to be daily.

But, Alan write about old lists and old tasks. But how old is old? So DIT aims to finish each task for the day, and audits after 4 days. I think for me old is the previous month.

There is an advantage to put off processing. If any of you have followed GTD's flowchart of processing, it really bogs down. I think the only way it can be done is automatically or by memory. Most items do not need that much processing. However, the items that continue to remain on a long list probably need some thought, otherwise they would have been handled by now.

I think if a long list is maintained, it should be reviewed daily, and ideally worked, passed through at least once a day. I can keep track of when I read a page (put the date on top) and see what the usual number of pages I can get through.
February 18, 2024 at 16:02 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
How old is old? To me, 7 days unactioned. But also, the system should make obvious which are the oldest, so I’m not generally checking the date..
February 18, 2024 at 17:36 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I have to admit that I never found the system 2 heavy level of pre-processing my inbox in GTD to bog down that much, but a big part of that was the ability to leverage the Someday/Maybe list and reliance on the Weekly Review.

One of the issues with a long list that no-list fixed was the dynamic level of automatic dismissal rates. A long list has the advantage that you never forget, and this can quickly become a disadvantage for things that you are emotionally unable to let go of, but which you really ought to forget about for a while. In the same way that AF1 caused a degree of anxiety about dismissal, I think no-list's major contribution is also the thing that scares people the most, which is the power of accepting that you will forget things, and indeed, that you *should* forget things.

The issue with the growth of a long list, I think, is systemic of the fundamental difficulty in saying no to things, or at least, not right now. We are good at procrastinating, but procrastination isn't just about not doing something, it's about holding on to the desire to do that thing, while also not doing it right now. Instead, if we allow ourselves to reject the doing of a thing for some amount of time, this is a freeing proposition which is different than procrastination.

The human memory is already a highly tuned machine for forgetting things. It's designed to efficiently dismiss things that aren't relevant. Intuitive management of dismissal, I think, is probably akin to leveraging your memory for dismissal. When done right, things that aren't really the important things in your life will just...disappear, with essentially zero effort on your part. I think any externalized memory aid is fundamentally going to undermine intuitive dismissal and "task backlog size" by definition. It's an inherently system 2 approach to managing the set of work items that are available to do. That doesn't mean that it is a bad one, just that I don't think it's necessarily possible to make an intuitive way to manage list length while still using a long list.

I've often thought that one of the issues we have when we say that we don't want to forget things is that very often the things that most worry us might be signals to ourselves of things that we wish were true about us (that is, we wish were important), but which in fact aren't actually important enough, and so they sit around as fantasies that cause us anxiety because we aren't willing to either sacrifice to have them, or accept that we don't care enough to do so. A long list can allow such things to live longer than they should while clogging up your daily life more than they should, especially without the active dismissal process.

I like Mark Forster's idea a while back that he proposed for managing this: select items that aren't going to be done right now or that really aren't present priorities or active things that you can do or want to do; place those items on your someday/maybe list; now, throw that list away. This is a cheeky way of getting yourself okay with throwing items away and pruning your list. I think it's a slightly more nuanced version of the above suggestion to start a fresh list every so often.

Since I'm doing Time Surfing, I actually do the opposite approach. Essentially, I'm always relying on my memory to do in the moment dismissal. Then, all I have is a someday/maybe list. Whenever my intuition pings on the need to "refill" my tank of tasks, I can review that someday maybe list and see if there is anything there that jogs my memory, but in the day to day, I never look at the list. This is more or less the same as no-list's authorized commitments. The benefit here is the same as no-list: the list never grows out of control. Time Surfing's added benefit is the sheer amount of internal processing you do to prime your intuition, which is meditative in nature, and I like that.

There's a little micro-nuance here that we can explore. There's the management of the actual size of the active working set of tasks and items that you have to manage at any one time, and then there is the actual work of figuring out what you are going to do about any task (delete it, maybe). Sometimes, a system 2 approach to managing your WIP (a la Kanban) means that both the management of the size of the WIP *and* the assessment of tasks is done with system 2. However, it's also possible that you can manage the WIP set with system 1, but rely on system 2 to actually understand and work through "stuck" items.

I think someone in another thread mentioned the idea of sitting with tasks that aren't going anywhere, and that might be a good way of thinking about it. You go through, and you find a task on your list that is stuck, that hasn't been going anywhere, and you decide to do some work on it, but not active work. instead, you dot the task (in SS) and then you sit with the task and try to get the shape of it, visiting it in your mind, until you make progress on "unlocking" that task for yourself in some way. Maybe you rewrite it, maybe you do something else, but at any rate, even if you don't actually *do* anything on the task, you'll have massaged that task a little more explicitly. And that might be sufficient work on that task for the moment.
February 18, 2024 at 22:49 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
So let's say the oldest date is 7 days ago, as Alan says. Today is Monday, Feb, 19. So the oldest day is last Monday, Feb. 12, and there are items that have not been crossed out.

As recommended, one scans the list first from beginning to end.
Then, either first thing, or after anything that needs doing early in the day - one starts with the oldest date last Monday, and not leave that date until everything is crossed out. (One could go in order, or FVP?) So either one needs to do it, define it as Alan says, defer, or delete it. They are all Ds, so it easy to remember. It seems that this needs to be done early in the day, otherwise it might not get done at all. This is like dismissal, or DIT audit, or the backlog.

One could use the 7days/30 days of DWM. However, I have trouble figuring what is started and not started. I think 7 days is a good cutoff date. There is more of a chance that on the same day as a week ago the item might need to be done again.

One could use open pages, and limit it that way. So let's say you added 5 new pages yesterday, then you need to cross out 5 pages at the beginning of the list. Or keep track of how many pages is the limit let's say 20, and today you have 22, then you cross off the items on the first two open pages. Or use the number of items, so let's say the limit is 200 items, and one is over 20 items, one could cross off the first 20.

A computer program might give the total number of items, and it might be easy to track the number of items.

I haven't tried any of these things yet, but I am thinking of a way to limit the work in progress. The oldest items are the easiest to spot.

One could set a time limit. Let's say there is 20 items to cross off. One could set a limit of 20 minutes, and by the end of time limit all of the items need to crossed off. The easiest thing to do is cross it off and delete it, so if one can't think of what to do, that's what done. Sometimes it is a toss up whether it is easier to do it or defer it. If it is a project, the thing to do might be to plan the steps.

However, one could just keep deferring all the items to future dates. But, those items probably aren't reviewed as often, or done. So this would at least take care of how much to review daily from past dates.
February 19, 2024 at 14:47 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Ok, so I just now selected my 14 oldest items, and set a time limit for 14 minutes, and aimed to spend one minute on each, and crossed them all out and crossed out four pages.
February 19, 2024 at 15:39 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
So I have spent the day - spending one minute scanning each day, 9 days. Then I scanned each page for one minute, and tried to do at least one item on each page. There are 37 pages, some of which are notes. My aim was to slow down the process of scanning. I worked on at least 50 tasks. Some were longer than a minute - 15 minutes, 21 minutes, 6 minutes, 30 minutes

However, it is a lot of time doing things for a minute or two, and I wouldn't recommend it.
The more items that are done for a brief period, the more items will be on the list. So there is limit to "little and often" but where is it?

I think the next time I can increase the time on repeated tasks. I would say half the items on my list are checklist items, and might be better on a checklist.

Also, I wonder if I could write an item only once, and every time I scan the list and do the item, I keep it there, and make a note. This is instead of rewriting.

I could shorten the list.

I usually only work on for 1 -2 minutes for about an hour, and then usually don't time items.
February 19, 2024 at 22:10 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
It has occurred to me that with Autofocus which begins with a catch-all list and "little and often" - that the rules and variations on it were ways to keep the length down. So having to do something on each page, dismissing a whole page, Superfocus with items to finish in the second column, AF4 with its subcategories of New, Unfinished, were ways to curb the list.

With Simple Scanning, which is what I have been doing, there aren't these.
And likely the list will grow. Gradually there isn't time to review all the list, and the earliest items get ignored and forgotten after a time. This might be all right, but even then I think it would be better to consign these early items as Someday/Maybe, so there is a decision about them.
February 19, 2024 at 23:10 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
“So let's say you added 5 new pages yesterday,”. You are clearly in a different world from me. I might add 5 new iitems yesterday, and if I were doing paper and reentering things, I might get one half page filled.
February 19, 2024 at 23:16 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I am searching the website for tracking of activity.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2017/7/3/high-volume-high-speed-low-resistance-3.html

Mark Forster worked on 95 tasks on one day. As I remember, that is about typical when he has given counts.
February 19, 2024 at 23:59 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
So I have notes interspersed with tasks on the same page, and I have notes on a single pages that I am including, and my lines are granular, so I have "brush teeth", "floss", and "mouthwash" all as single items. So I have more pages and items to process.

It might be interesting to go back to Autofocus or Superfocus, or another variation.

I noticed that Mark Forster's page count on the FVP that I posted is very low, and I am thinking that he must not been dealing with a catch-all list when he was doing it. It would be interesting to see how many he had with Autofocus.
February 20, 2024 at 0:40 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
The checklist idea is one tried and true way to manage task list growth. One thing that I think might be a little compelling is to have a bunch of business cards with checklists of small tasks that I want to do repetitively in a given area. So, what you could do is incorporate a little of the GTD Contexts concept for the granular tasks. You could have a box of cards for "Morning Routine" and "Evening Routine" and "Lunch Break" or the like which represent your checklist for those times. When you wake up in the morning, you grab one of those business cards which has the same checklist on it, fresh and new, and then go about your morning with that little card, crossing off as you go. Then, when you're done, toss it into a done pile or trash it, depending on how you want to record things. When you go to sleep, you can grab a fresh evening routine card and do the same thing.

These would be pre-written cards (maybe printed?) that have your checklist on them already.

Then, it's easy to just put "evening routine" or "Morning routine" on your simple scanning list, and this is a method of working Mark has spoken about in the past. That can easily reduce scanning effort and time, as well as improve overall efficiency of the routines.

You can technically scale this technique to have hierarchies of long lists, such as cards containing lists for admin, project A, home, etc. I've never found that particularly useful myself, but it could be a big help for those who need to manage the length of a long list but still want to maintain the granularity of very small tasks. Technically, it's also "within canon" for simple scanning and other long list methods, for those who care about such things (I do, for irrational reasons).

Another simple way of doing this is to split your long list into "home" and "work" or by physical location.

This is one of those things that hits another tension in time management. The degree to which you are schedule is inversely proportional to the degree to which you need to have very good control on your intuition for what you want to do next. When a long list is a small part of a regimented, schedule routine, then list growth and scanning tends not to be a problem, because the list is short. But the less scheduled, routinized stuff you have in your life, the longer and more difficult the list becomes.
February 20, 2024 at 2:16 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Thanks, Aaron. I have used checklists of routines before. I gradually went back to putting them on the long list.

So here, Mark Forster is just starting Autofocus, and he says he is averaging 77 tasks a day.
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2008/12/19/future-developments-update-no-1.html
However, his list seemed to be short yet.

http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2008/3/15/weeding-the-task-diary.html
Here he explains why lists keep growing, and he recommends weeding the task diary before starting it, this would be the day before tomorrow's list (in DIT).

This is a detailed list of statistics by Mark Forster for what would be AF2, in which he says he was averaging 76 tasks a day.
http://markforster.squarespace.com/blog/2009/5/5/new-system-first-week-stats.html
February 20, 2024 at 4:07 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I often wonder if our discussions on this site scratch a more profound itch than getting things done. It seems to me that the discussion itself - all the geekery surrounding tools and systems - touches a yearning for community of some sort.

Reminds me of other sub-sub-sub groups that exist in other areas i.e. The Porsche 911 circa early 80s group that meets every Sunday afternoon. They don't meet to drive their cars, they meet to talk about cars and bond over an interest that few understand (or can afford). Clearly, the meetings aren't about driving fast, or how to change a flat tire.
February 21, 2024 at 14:51 | Registered Commenteravrum
Yes, they absolutely do.
February 21, 2024 at 18:11 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
100%...especially this forum. There's a shared appreciation for the geekery of introspection on your productivity which isn't found in most daily environments. Frankly, most people in person that I've discussed this stuff with haven't spent nearly the time to think about it that I have, and thus, it's more of a lecture than a discussion. It's nice to see and hear from people who are thinking about these things.
February 22, 2024 at 2:26 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
For me, productivity was/is an attempt to tame two types of chaos:

1. My late father's aimlessness and anxiety with work and relationships. I absorbed a lot of his anxiety, and didn't want to repeat this in my life.

2. An existential discomfort of pissing away this very brief life.

When I discovered Covey/Merrill (productivity, work) and Dr. Murray Bowen/Schnarch (Family, marriage), they provided options that I couldn't see or develop on my own. I'm still on this forum discussing these issues, so the existential embers still burn. But there's no question I'm professionally (therapist, author, artist) and personally (father, husband) more solid than my father. The process started when he was alive, and he think he was relieved to see his son doing things a bit differently.
February 22, 2024 at 14:14 | Registered Commenteravrum
I think it has been noted by some that we can sort of think about people along some certain timeline of "productivity" or "performance" or "life engagement" or whatever you may want to call it.

The first group is those people who go about their lives not putting much intention into any of that, or only the attention that is externally foisted on them. They might be called "drifters," but most of the world gets by in this class, and they may not even be aware of what impacts not thinking about such things has on their life, or how the pressures of productivity can or cannot help them.

The second group are those people who somehow move from the first group into those who start to actually think about these things. It is often the case that people in this second group have some kind of motivating influence that drives their desire for success, performance, or productivity. Often, it might be a negative motivation, such as not wanting to be poor or escaping a life that they saw/see as undesirable. I think a lot of people get into productivity because of some sort of existential fear, whether they acknowledge that or not.

The third group is that group who actually have "succeeded" in some respects. I think many of us fall into this third group. I would be surprised if I met most people here and we weren't all more or less objectively successful. Based on what I've seen on this forum, I think the majority of us are doing at least better than average, and probably even quite a bit better than average.

Ironically, I think in this third group, after you've kind of managed to avoid or at least stave off something of that existential dread that drove you to productivity and action in the first place, there's a challenge in somehow finding both contentment in the now and also that fear of becoming complacent. I think I've seen it noted that for people who have already "grinded" for success at some level, it's often difficult to move beyond that fear that drove them in the first place, and ultimately, the challenge becomes finding a level of rest, contentment, and purpose without needing to be stressed by the existential dread that drove them to the heights they are presently at.

There's a sort of twist, I find, at this "third level," where going further, or "leveling up," whatever that may mean, often requires attenuating that inner desire for more, and finding the patience and perspective that maybe we didn't have when we were younger. I've met a lot of people who struggled to escape that initial drive. They were successful, but that success also made them so stressed and unhappy that they really weren't any better off. They couldn't let go of the fear that drove them, and so they kept feeling a need to push higher and higher, without really understanding why they were doing it. The end result was usually lots of suffering, discontent, and maybe the opposite of what they really wanted.

To be clear, I also think that it shouldn't be and probably is not required that we go through this whole process through 1, 2, and then 3, but I've noted that it seems particularly difficult for most people not to go through them linearly. There are some people who seem to have clicked with that early in life, and they are able to skip 1 and 2 and maybe even 3. But those people seem to be quite rare, and I'm not sure that the reality isn't different than what I see in them.

For myself, I find that my ambitions are still high, but with high ambitions comes the need to execute with patience, in a way that wasn't necessary before, because previously, it was much easier to see what needed to be done, and the rewards were much more obvious. Now, having achieved much of what I set out to do, the loftier ambitions require patience and humility in a way that the previous steps did not, and that forces me to change the way I look at productivity. I also know that I have a strong tendency to not really want to do anything, while wanting to do everything, all at once, and that's something quite annoying to wade through.

Is it even possible to be both utterly content and ambitious at the same time?
February 23, 2024 at 2:10 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
Alan Baljeu wrote:
<< I don't think this is possible because you are by design excluding system 2 from your process, and your work management system can never be as functional using just system 1, as when you use your entire brain. >>

Hm, I suppose what I meant is that the usual System 2 recovery mechanisms are not as smooth, intuitive, easy, and enjoyable as the System 1 part of the system.

The System 1 part of these time management systems seems to be where most of the kinks have been worked out -- the flow is fast, intuitive, and many obstacles have been removed.

The System 2 recovery parts of the systems seem less well thought out and always require some kind of heavy lifting.

I am thinking there must be a better way to design the System 2 recovery mechanism so that it has a more overall intuitive framework. Maybe a checklist with a clear flow, clear criteria how to assess and decide.

DIT's audit and GTD's weekly review have a bit of this -- specific steps to follow. But there are still a lot of obstructions in the flow of the recovery process.

<< The Andon cord is a system 1 device, but it triggers a system 2 response from the worker and the manager together. >>

The Andon cord response is not all System 2 -- it provides a framework, a step-by-step process, putting boundaries around the recovery process, with a specific flow to it, and a specific goal. There are specific steps in the process that certainly must engage System 2 deliberation and problem-solving. But there is a specific, well-defined objective for each of those steps.

<< Kanban's WIP limit is similar. When your queue is full, this triggers a thoughtful response of how to get the work flowing better. >>

Yes, but the specific process seems to vary from one team to another. I remember one Agile coach advocated a specific set of steps to diagnose the problem more easily. It was something like
(1) Did you have everything you need to get this work done when it came into your queue? If not, then you need to fix the handoff process from the previous step. Use "full kit"
(2) Do you have clear Definition of Done for the handoff to the next team or next step in the development process? (e.g., QA, demo, build, release, or whatever it is).
If not, then work with the downstream team to define it more clearly.
(3) Do you have a bottleneck resource on your team? Then use a visual clue (or a separate Kanban board) to identify work items that will require that bottleneck's attention. Don't activate a work item unless that bottleneck has available capacity.
Etc.

This makes it much more like a System 1 process. You still have to engage System 2 thinking and deliberation, but it is guided by a clear set of intuitive guidelines that make it flow much easier.

In all of these, I suppose the key is that you don't have to use your limited System 2 capacity to frame the whole problem and figure out how to proceed from scratch. The framing is all done for you. You only need to apply System 2 where it is really needed. This makes it much easier and more focused and less overwhelming.

<< I don't have a formal rule, but when I can't see all my items at once on a page, that's a signal that I need to reduce or restructure. >>

Good rule.
February 23, 2024 at 2:55 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
avrum wrote:
<< For me, productivity was/is an attempt to tame two types of chaos >>

Same theme for me. I was always good at meeting deadlines and turning in my work on time, stuff like that. But I struggled with all the kinds of work that are more open-ended, especially after we started having kids. So many demands, ideas, and opportunities clamoring for attention.

<< yearning for community >>

I wouldn't call it a yearning, per se… that just sounds too existential. :) But I do enjoy it tremendously.

To be honest, I especially enjoy it when people like "Chris" show up and start to call BS. (Haven't seen him here for awhile?) It reminds me that there are people who are serious about managing their own work and life but don't seem to need any of these systems at all, and see it all as a waste of time. The methods people like Chris use have never worked for me, but it's still good to get that challenging feedback, otherwise I think we can geek ourselves into an echo chamber.

Aaron Hsu wrote about how different kinds of people engage with time management, perhaps at different phases in their personal growth. That's an interesting perspective, but it doesn't seem to account for the Chris types. What do you think?

And speaking about connection and community, I'd love to connect with anyone here on LinkedIn. This is such a great group of people. Please send me a connect request if you'd like. http://www.linkedin.com/in/seraphimlarsen/
February 23, 2024 at 16:23 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
“ The Andon cord response is not all System 2 -- it provides a framework, a step-by-step process, putting boundaries around the recovery process, with a specific flow to it, and a specific goal. There are specific steps in the process that certainly must engage System 2 deliberation and problem-solving. But there is a specific, well-defined objective for each of those steps.”

This makes me think I don’t understand the definitions of System1 and System 2. I haven’t read the prerequisite books. I thought System 1 meant higher order intuitive thought and System 2 was rational decision making. Following a script isn’t really higher order at all.
February 24, 2024 at 15:32 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
Wikipedia has a good summary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow#Two_systems

By repeating a System 2 process consistently, it can become more of a System 1 type of response. That's another way to say that a complex task can become an automatic intuitive habit with enough practice and repetition.

My basic idea is that TM recovery mechanisms are too complex and rely too much on open-ended System 2 thinking. Designing these mechanisms with a specific structure that enables fast intuitive flow through the process can leverage the speed and ease of System 1.

An example might be a "sprint retrospective" using a typical set of questions like "what went well, what did not go well, what could we do better". The questions help guide the System 2 engagement so that the overall discussion flows well and comes to actionable results. The questions help make this process more-or-less automatic, especially after a team has internalized the basic cadence of a meeting like this and trusts the process will give good results. ("Automatic", "Internalized" - indicators of System 1.)

Contrast that with an open-ended retrospective with no structure, where people just start dumping their feedback. There is lots of System 2 engagement and sharing of ideas but it doesn't go anywhere. These generally turn into gripe sessions dominated by the one or two personalities, with no actionable outcome.
February 24, 2024 at 18:50 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
I was supposing these systems were the same as described in The Master and His Emissary, largely discussing right and left hemispheres of the brain, and attributing to the right a largely unconscious system of higher order thought enabling us to process complex systems that we can’t logically understand, and to the left the logical deductive methods. But, that description makes it seem human-specific, when this separation is ancient. So more broadly speaking the left is focused and specific, and the right is broad and integrative.

I don’t think these are the same concept as System 1 and System 2.
February 24, 2024 at 21:56 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
<<Aaron Hsu wrote about how different kinds of people engage with time management, perhaps at different phases in their personal growth. That's an interesting perspective, but it doesn't seem to account for the Chris types. What do you think?>>

IME, people who are serious about time management always have a system. They might not call it that, but it is always there. I'd put those people in the second group still, because they are aware of and working on improving their own time management but they do so using systems that might be inaccessible to people whose personalities and backgrounds don't mesh well with how they approach work.

In my personal life, I've noticed that people who tend to be dismissive of time management systems but still care a lot about time management and "getting things done" tend to exist inside of environments that do a lot of the time management for them, and they often have a personality that is very concrete and conscientious, so they will tend to focus on doing things anyways. In such environments, the work and the outcomes are often clearly scoped or clearly defined. Sometimes the systems that are being used as so habitualized that they don't even realize that they are relying on routinized systems for their work to succeed.

In such environments and with such personalities, there's a certain "privilege" or luxury that you can have, because you don't need to use the systems to manage your time as well, because your personality already drives you to action, and your working conditions already give you sufficient constraint and direction that you don't have to ask a lot of questions about where you're going. However, these same people who are highly effective at working in these conditions, I've noticed, tend to completely shut down or utterly avoid anything that would threaten to take them outside of these conditions that permit them to be successful.

Thus, in such cases, while these people can be highly productive within a specific environment, they tend to be almost useless in navigating uncharted waters; assessing risk-rewards around the need to change or innovate on meta-questions like mission, vision, direction, etc.; or, handling situations defined by desirable outcomes, but without constraints, directions, patterns, or recipes. I've seen some highly productive people go from on the ball to utterly adrift simply because the external environment changed and they didn't have the internal tooling to quickly assess and create order from that chaos.

I've never met a successful knowledge worker who operates in unconstrained, undefined environments that are unfamiliar and untested who didn't have systems and who didn't at least think about systems to some degree, and value their implementation. The more chaotic the situation, the more internal systems and checklists tend to help, almost by definition, because without the ability to assess and manage chaos internally, you are dependent on living in an ordered environment to succeed.

In my own work, this manifests in the differences in how some people work with software. I work in completely uncharted waters in which there is no end goal, no intermediate benchmarks, and nothing that I don't define myself. I'm working on things that literally have no prior precedence and that people haven't done at all before. In this sense, I'm on the literal cutting edge of various types of knowledge spaces, and so there is zero predictability. This is where having systems makes all the difference, because you need to know how to navigate and define how you're going to explore the space, and how to value where you're going and what you are doing, but that all comes mostly from yourself in this environment.

In contrast, many people in computing are surprised by how undefined my work is because they are used to working within environments in which the constraints are very obvious. Moreover, some of the people who pride themselves the most on being able to "deliver on time," if I press them, have to admit that the reason they can predict whether they can deliver on time or not is because they only ever take on work that they fully understand, and that they have already done before, so they know how to do it. They are just repeating work that they have already done, so it is relatively predictable. But the key here is that they don't count the time it takes for them to understand the problem. When you ask them for estimates that also include the time that it will take to understand the problem first, and so forth, they can't. So, this means that they end up being highly conservative in what work they take on, because they won't commit to anything unless they can predict the outcomes. This leaves a lot of exploration on the table, and means that someone else has to do all the risky business of figuring out the problem space first, before they can commit to things.

These people who are able to productively repeat and apply their prior experience, versus engaging in largely unfamiliar areas that they haven't already explored, often feel that they don't need a lot of systems, at least in my experience, but they are also incapable of reliably exploring spaces that they don't know already. They fundamentally rely on the predictability of their environment and context to replace the need for systems to deal with the unknown.

Such people might still value time management and think about it carefully, but the systems they are relying on are different, and if they have enough experience, they will usually recognize the difference in working environments that allow various systems to exist or not exist and still get good results.
February 25, 2024 at 2:34 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
To add another dimension, groups 2 and 3 are more about how one engages with the drive for optimizing time management. People can dismiss personal time management systems but still be driven for productivity and output, and those people might still fall into group 2. There are then people who don't have need for explicit thinking about their personal time management systems because they are content to work in an environment which enables them to not need such systems directly, because they can leverage some other order in their environment, but they also don't need to push for more all the time, and they don't feel the existential dread driving them for more productivity and more output. Those people might fit into group 3.

I guess I'm saying that groups 1, 2, and 3 are more about awareness, motivation, drive, and focus, vs. whether or not you depend on your environment for order or whether you use a personal system to attain it.
February 25, 2024 at 2:38 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu
I am trying to weed my list down. I have reduced the number of open days from 9 past days to 4 past days. For the oldest day, I will spend one minute on each line that is not crossed out, or count the number of open lines on a day, and total them - so for example on last Wednesday there are 14 lines that are not crossed out - and I set a timer for 14 minutes, and at the end all the lines need to be crossed out.
I find the time pressure helps to decide. This is making my future dates longer, but I am hoping that as the current month ends, my open items for February will on the final dates rather than scattered throughout the month.

If one starts the list as a catch-all list, one will never be able to do all the items, and to keep the list one has to be willing to delete at least some items without adding them somewhere else.

Aaron suggests making routine cards, and I am beginning to experiment with this. With blank cards, I am making mind maps of related items, such as kitchen - wash dishes - put dishes away - wipe counter.
February 26, 2024 at 1:23 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I have a better idea about routines:

Before I do a daily routine item, instead of rewriting it on the list, I can write it on an index card, and kept it in the order in which I do it, and repeat it the next day, and see what develops from there.

I probably have at least 50 items of these I have kept on my long list.
February 26, 2024 at 22:30 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Aaron Hsu wrote:
<< I've noticed that people who tend to be dismissive of time management systems but still care a lot about time management and "getting things done" tend to exist inside of environments that do a lot of the time management for them … Sometimes the systems that are being used as so habitualized that they don't even realize that they are relying on routinized systems for their work to succeed. >>

Yes, this is insightful. And I think it is a fair description of "Chris". (If he is still around, maybe he will offer his opinion.)

<< I've never met a successful knowledge worker who operates in unconstrained, undefined environments that are unfamiliar and untested who didn't have systems and who didn't at least think about systems to some degree, and value their implementation... I work in completely uncharted waters in which there is no end goal, no intermediate benchmarks, and nothing that I don't define myself. >>

Yes, everything you are writing here rings true for me. This is exactly the kind of environment I always find myself in. It's also why I am always experimenting with things like "systems thinking", emergent behavior, Agile, the Cynefin framework, Theory of Constraints, PDSA, and Reinertsen's Principles of Product Development Flow. All of these are about being effective in an inherently chaotic or complex situation.

It's also interesting to observe that all of these models focus as much on LEARNING as on getting stuff done. I wonder if that element of learning could be incorporated into a time management system, as an integral part of the system.
March 1, 2024 at 15:46 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
<<It's also interesting to observe that all of these models focus as much on LEARNING as on getting stuff done. I wonder if that element of learning could be incorporated into a time management system, as an integral part of the system.>>

Learning is key. I don't know if learning belongs inside of the time management system itself, instead of being a principle that drives the priorities or assessment of things inside of the TMS. If we take Mark's definition of a TMS as a low level system for deciding what to do next, the system itself is often parameterized by our heuristics or value systems that help us to use the system. In that case, valuing learning highly will result in the system selecting high learning tasks, whereas shifting your values to something like execution might make the system select something else. I think at least when it comes to intuitive systems, this is how you'd incorporate learning.

The best book I've ever read on this topic is "Why Greatness Cannot Be Planned: The Myth of the Objective" by Kenneth Stanley and Joel Lehman:

https://www.amazon.com/Why-Greatness-Cannot-Planned-Objective/dp/3319155237

They tackle this topic from the perspective of computer science research into solving search and path-finding problems. I find their arguments very compelling.

In short, the conclusion is that when you are dealing with environments in which the exact execution path is not *guaranteed* to be absolutely concretely known, the chance of a good outcome driven by execution and "just do things that move us towards the goal" thinking goes down precipitously. Instead, the best way to make progress is to emphasis selecting the "next thing" on the basis of which next thing will best improve novelty and knowledge. This is a heuristic that selects for maximum learning rather than maximum accomplishment. This turns out to be a generally more effective approach at getting to good results, at the cost of no longer being able to predict the exact good result you get.

If you apply that selection criteria to your own individual selection of items, then over time you become better and more effective. You essentially go from one thing that you can execute on reliably to the next thing, always trying to pick somewhere you can both reliably reach in "one hop" as well as that will maximize your future options and potential through novelty, direction, learning, etc.

Some systems are more apt to work with such a model, of course, but at some level, you can make almost any system work for you in this way if you slice the pie correctly.
March 3, 2024 at 23:43 | Registered CommenterAaron Hsu