To Think About . . .

Nothing is foolproof because fools are ingenious. Anon

My Latest Book

Product Details

Also available on Amazon.com, Amazon.fr, and other Amazons and bookshops worldwide! 

Search This Site
Log-in
Latest Comments
My Other Books

Product Details

Product Details

Product Details

The Pathway to Awesomeness

Click to order other recommended books.

Find Us on Facebook Badge

Discussion Forum > The Real Purpose of To-Do Lists

<< You might think the purpose of a to-do list is to remind you what to do. And it can be useful in that way. But that is not its primary purpose. The main function of the daily to-do list is to give the procrastinator the experience of checking off tasks as they are finished. Putting a check in the box next to the item, or crossing it out with a flourish, gives one a little psychological lift. It helps us to think of ourselves as doers, accomplishers, and not just lazy slugs. >>

—John Perry, The Art of Procrastination
February 14, 2024 at 18:54 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
Once again, Seraphim, you and I are thinking about the same topic at the same time. Great minds, I guess!

I find it difficult to pigeonhole the to-do list into one singular purpose. I find the Reminder function of a list at least as helpful as the Positive Reinforcement function of checking off an item. However, those of us who have followed Mark for a while know that the list also serves as a means to compare the relative value of tasks so that we can determine the best activity right now.

I have been following «Dreams» for a couple of months now, and I have to say that if I want some *real* positive reinforcement, I describe the success in my journal (as myself), and then switch roles to my "inner coach" and write a note of congratulations. Your mileage may vary, but I think it's worth a shot.
February 14, 2024 at 19:02 | Registered CommenterVoluntas
http://books.google.com/books?id=uEnZasjNqP0C&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&printsec=frontcover&dq=John+Perry,+The+Art+of+Procrastination+to+do+list&hl=en#v=onepage&q=John%20Perry%2C%20The%20Art%20of%20Procrastination%20to%20do%20list&f=false

I could not recall this author or the book, so I searched, and the quote is in this book, on page 22.
There is a chapter on todo lists.

This is the author that advocates structured procrastination, which, as I remember, has influenced Mark Forster, in his use of long lists.

This might be a good book for me to read. I couldn't tell from the quote, but he advocates to do lists.
He recommends writing a list the night before of the first few things to do after wake in the morning. I often put this on my daily list, but perhaps it would be good to make a separate list.

He also recommends breaking tasks down into smaller subtasks, and admits that it would make the daily list pretty detailed. This is what I am doing, but I find that my daily lists are getting to sometimes 100 items, and I am thinking that I need to reduce them.

I think with all the advice we receive around this subjects, that there is a limit to have far to take any advice - that the list can get too long, that we need breaks from a list, that we don't need to follow a list all the time.
February 14, 2024 at 19:54 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I've been thinking similarly. I'm starting to value engagement over efficiency with my "to-do" systems.
February 14, 2024 at 20:30 | Unregistered CommenterBrent
"The main function of the daily to-do list is to give the procrastinator the experience of checking off tasks as they are finished."

While that is definitely a valuable feature of the to-do list, the main function to me is that if I don't see the item on the list, or even if there is no list, I tend not to do the thing.

It's not that I need to see the items, but I need to be thinking of them, and reading (or writing to) a list of items is what gets me there.

Yes, the list needs to be kept short, as to my mind a long list is clutter, and clutter is a thing I prefer to avoid. (Only my tendency is to hide myself from the clutter, rather than reduce it; something that needs to be combatted.)
February 14, 2024 at 21:06 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu
I bought the book on Kindle.
February 14, 2024 at 22:14 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I meant the ebook on Google Play. It is 113 pages, so it should be a short read.
February 14, 2024 at 22:16 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
I am 5 minutes into the book. There is much that seems to harmonize the long lists, AF, FVP, etc
Advice on what to put on the list.
February 14, 2024 at 22:25 | Unregistered CommenterMark H.
Wow, I am kind of astonished at the number of responses!

I think the author's comments on the purpose of a to-do list were tongue-in-cheek, although with a point. Kind of like his whole book. :)

I just thought it was funny. :)

(And I love how Asana sends flying unicorns and other things across your screen whenever you mark something done hahaha)
February 16, 2024 at 1:46 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
BTW for an intro to the author's time management work, see this hilarious and insightful short article:
http://www.structuredprocrastination.com/
February 16, 2024 at 2:53 | Registered CommenterSeraphim
If I saw unicorns flying across my todo list, although it would be pleasant, it would likely distract me into a rabbit hole of thinking about unicorns and related things!
February 18, 2024 at 15:08 | Registered CommenterAlan Baljeu